It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conformity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I watched a very interesting YouTube video which illustrates the concept of conformity and its effects on us as individuals. It is appropriate for both sceptic and believer in each camp of ATS - It appears knowing why and when you state your own opinion and being aware of when you join in on the popular opinion of the community you associate with most is an important step to realise.

I've heard terms like 'Sheeple' & 'Joe six-pack' being bandied about as offensive 'in-language' by many people here on ATS and yet when looked at from an abstract sense who is to say that it is their own opinion and not that of the community they feel connected to?

Looking at topics such as the American red and blue political camps, truthers and their counterparts, religious people and all the proponents of theism, Foofey folk and dimensional entities and all of the notches in between, data aware paranoiacs and those who trust in their environments - do we each conform to these groups without question and better yet should we?

When stock is going up at an inordinate rate, a sale is going on at a shop you like, when a cinema is on fire or when a lynch mob is attacking someone with fervour do you join in or do you stand aside?

When zombies attack do you hook up with those who have a plan or do you go it alone?

When dealing with a system of trade do you work and earn to spend and conform to all the little rules that supposedly apply to allow this to happen or are you a self made person who can live off-the-grid?

What of language? Do you use easily accessibly words to have your message put across, do you use words which you think are more refined and make your statements more elaborate or do you have your own noises or tappings of a keyboard to express yourself?

I am asking because it would be nice to know how we each see ourselves, respectively, in this large fishbowl which is ATS and perhaps beyond in that place where we must interact with others face-to-face.

The video which I saw is below, it is almost 10 mins long but worthwhile viewing, even if only on a coffee break, in my opinion.

If you feel like it please share your thoughts, give your insight into the concept of being part of a group or going it alone and anything else you think is appropriate to this thread.

Thanks in advance for you time.

-m0r

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This video was posted earlier today, but I do think it is worth examining. I will also repost my response since I consider it worth reviewing in light of the content:

"Thanks for posting this video, the research supporting the main idea was of a nature I had not seen before. Incidentally, it supports my own thinking on the subject of conformity.

Conformity is basically a decision in the interest of agreement, rather than truth. It can occasionally have minor good effects when the idea is ethical, however, it's usually bad because the conclusions are erroneous at best and ethically questionable at worst. Agreement can be a strong force in making a decision, but it's no match for truth. Individuals know truth to the extent that they are not being fooled. Individuals are not fooled to the extent they think intelligently.

To avoid being fooled and,consequently, avoid conforming with the masses, think intelligently.

Happy April Fool's Day.

Shane
"

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I have a great solution to conformity. Do not conform. Pretty simple huh.

Do not follow the lemmings over the cliff. Check.

Do not jump off the bridge like my buddies, until after they come up and are not hurt. Check.

Do not vote for either the Demmings or the Reptilians. Check.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by randolrs1

Cheers Shane,

April fools day is a good example of conforming to a concept that others deem valuable enough for it to have a set of rules.

As for the truth and its ethical extent of fooling people - you need only look at Social Nationalist German circa 1938 or the American invasion of Iraq in 2003 to see that people will display cognitive dissonance when it suits them in order to not stand out from 'The Group'.

I'm not saying everyone bought into this conformity - there were plenty of dissidents - but the majority followed along without question.

Majorities being majorities might show something similar wherever they are. ATS included.

-m0r

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Very interesting clip.

It puts calmly to words the things I want to scream, knowing fully that no matter how many people I see conforming under pressure I am unknowingly one of them.

I guess that makes it "knowingly conformed" then.

The guy in the clip had a lot to offer in his ten minutes and I recommend the clip to anyone who is interested in a good "inner thinking into one's self "-without the mumbo-jumbo and aliens.

I know you dislike stars and flags, so I'll just say I didn't give you any and then call it an April fool's joke (just to conform).

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I don't mind giving stars and flags - it's the getting them I don't like

If you liked that video you really should check out some more of his stuff - they're all very good. Another good videographer from Youtube is QualiaSoup - who also posts great videos about being human.

They each epitomise my way of understanding the world very close to how it is.

But best of all - they each teamed up and made this amazing video:

I cried when I first saw it, and I'm not kidding.

-m0r

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Conformity has it Merits , but it often stifles Free Thinkers when it comes to Personal Choices . Case in point , the New HCB .................

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Another nice movie. Simple animation and not subtle enough to slip past unnoticed, but deep enough to earn an appreciation.

I like the first one you posted more, and enjoyed both enough to now go and begin to watch the rest.

So thanks for the heads up on these.

new topics

top topics

join