It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration backs race based college admissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

The Obama administration has asked a federal appeals court to uphold a race-conscious admissions system at the University of Texas at Austin, aiming to stymie a lawsuit that conservatives hope will spur the Supreme Court to limit affirmative action at public colleges.

The Texas case tests a 2003 Supreme Court decision that upheld a race-conscious admissions system at the University of Michigan Law School. That ruling in Grutter v. Bollinger said the law school had "a compelling interest in attaining a diverse student body." By a 5-4 vote, the court prohibited "outright racial balancing," but said race could be a "plus" factor to build a "critical mass" of minority students.

WSJ Article

More idiocy coming out of this administration, although this one shouldnt come as a shock to anyone.

The school clearly has no compelling interested in attaining a diverse student body since racial diversity has never proven to be beneficial.

It's just more of the same touchy feely emotional crap.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I too have wondered what the purpose of these "minority scholarships" are. I guess if I was a minority I may want one but I can't seriously think that these people that run these higher institutions would be racist. Maybe at 24 I am just too young to understand the racial sensitivity that stemmed from the civil rights era. I can't see where someone my age would put any thought into it being a different color than I but maybe they do.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Of course they put some thought into it. It's a way to get ahead when their merits dont warrant it.

Be it getting a job, such as the case of police departments lowering requirements on tests because not enough minorities could pass it. Or getting into a certain school when their grades didnt meet the requirements.

Diversity is a sham.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Nor surprised at all.......race based initiatives and Obama go hand in hand. It seems everyday like more and more of the "real" Obama peeks out and I wonder how people who where duped by him are feeling about it. Just a thought, since the government now controls student loans, are we gonna see even more of this?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Couple that with the fact that alot of these students will join frats/sororities based on race and racially based student groups. They will receive a higher education all the while buying into a semi-racist ideology. They'll graduate and have the mindset that they need to fight as a colored person in the white man's world.
It's everybody's world- accept it.

Gee, I wish I could join a white fraternity or a white men student group. Actually I don't.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with diversity but what has happened is that we're now seeing an unprecedented amount of minorities making up the majority in universities. There is nothing wrong keeping the environment even but what they are doing is keeping many who deserve the education and earned the right not getting it. For every white doctor, scientist, or lawyer you're finding 4 or 5 Asian's in there at, while deserving often enough, are considered before white students. And you have black and latino athletes, who often times academically don't deserve to be there, getting in because they're an amazing athlete. One may think this is racist of me saying so, but when you have Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. pointing out this same problem, it perpetuates related issues such as this.

We need to instill the ideology of diversity not enforce it. And people shouldn't be discriminated against, whether they were born black, white, purple, psychedelic rainbow, or with an ass for a face.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I haven't decided yet if the administration could have a middle name whether it would be "stupid" or "fascist" hmmm.....maybe two middle names

new topics

top topics

join