It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreams: Subconscieous Stress Relief, or Divine Message?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
What do you all think on this issue? Please opine.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Experiencing an eternity we are unaware of...

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Row, row, row Your boat gentily down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Lately mine have been nightmares. That only increases stress and is certainly not Divine in nature.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I believe they are subsconscious stress relief and/or unconscious thoughts.

There is much more to us than what we are conscious of.

I think it is possible that our minds/spirits can correspond with other levels of the universe. For example, you dream of a dead relative who is warning you to don or not do something.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
To be honest i believe it is a bit of both,

Dreams can be just dreams affected by what you have seen,heard that day

Or they can contain messages,

What is your thoughts on this TheBorg?

its normally a good idea whan you start a thread to add your own comments aswell on this,

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Dreams are something I will never understand, I do believe that they are influenced by our concious life though. But the dreams that we have that we cannot understand are the ones that confuse me. Maybe they are thoughts from a past life..... or maybe even its some sort of remote viewing with another dimension or parallel universe. We will never know.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The best thing to do is keep a dream diary.

Then you can see if there is any pattern to your dreams,
sometimes its amazing what they can reveal that you really never noticed untill it was put on paper,

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Not to be rude but what does this post have to do with aliens or UFO's?

Far be it from me to post without adding something worthwhile to the threads topic so I'll leave my opinion.

Nobody knows what dreams are. In my opinion though they are sub-conscious thoughts. A mixture of our hopes and "dreams" mixed with our everyday experiences and other stimuli. Kind of like a big stew pot filled with the girl you talked to recently, the movie you just watched, the taco you ate before bed, your fear of cockroaches, your stamp collecting hobby and those swear words you've always wanted to call your mother.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
that doesn't real explain anything in my opinion sinobyte...I think that's pretty obvious...plus the fact that there are many things that experience in dreams of places you've never been too and people you've never met...i think the question is what the underlying meaning of those things are

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My dreams usually help me remember things I forgot about while awake. They also help my hash out my feelings on difficult issues. Others are just entertainment by my brain, for my brain.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
what is your brain exactly??? I know you can say its where I think, but what are all the functions of it? We still have a lot to learn about mechanisms of the brain and consciousness in general.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
First off, Sinobyte, I was getting to that exact point here shortly. I just wanted to hear what the rest of the people thought before I gave my opinion. Thanks for pointing that out to me though.(forgot all about this bein in the Aliens and UFOs section).

Anyway, my opinions on this are kinda odd. I feel that both are possible, since the mind works in many different directions at once. It's just that when my mind throws me a fastball like I recieved this morning, I have to sit back and wonder. So, without further adieu, here's a dream that I had earlier while asleep. Bare in mind, however, that this dream will jump around quite a bit, as most dreams do; stream of consciousness and all.

So I found myself, and I believe 3 or 4 other people standing out in a field, and it was late at night. Stars were out, it was perfect weather for stargazing. Out of what appeared to be nowhere, I saw 9 white lights, 3 rows of 3 in the shape of a square, and one lone object hanging in the back, equidistant from the rest. This caught the eyes of the 3 or 4 others that were with me as well. Next thing I know is that I'm alone, and running through the parking lot of one of the local grocery stores here in my town. I run inside, even though at that time of night the store is supposed to be closed, yet the doors are open. I run to the back of the store, going for the bathroom, for reasons that I still don't quite get. As I make it to the bathroom, I get the feeling that I'm being followed, so I high-tail it in there, and go into a stall which takes me to a hole in the wall that I remember is there, and I think that I can fit through it. As I get to that stall, I find that the wall has been replaced with bricks. As I turn around to leave, someone shows up, and startles me. I get the impression that he told me that he came to me as he heard me running through the store. Wierd thing was that when I walked back outside alone, no one was in town ANYWHERE!! Other than the few people in town that I came across, I didn't see anyone else. Made me feel as though I had survived some sort of apocolypse.

Now, the wierd thing about that dream isn't really the wierd UFOs. It's the fact that my mind could come up with something so elaborate as to suggest that 10 objects caused my fellow 15000 townsfolk to disappear. If you knew me at all, I'm not that imaginative, even asleep. I usually have dull dreams, which don't illicit any kind of response, emotionally or otherwise out of me.

Could it be all the UFOs that I've been talking about, combined with my recent graduation from college and my family all going to work, leaving me alone at home? Possible, but not likely, because I'm not an emotional person. Stuff like that actually makes me happy. To be home alone anyway. I like the quiet time. I just find it beyond the scope of my imagination to come up with something so elaborate. I welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks for listening.

TheBorg

P.S. It should be mentioned, however, that there really hasn't ever been any hole in the wall of the bathroom big enough for me to fit through, or so that I remember anyway.
I think that's another thing that seemed wierd in that dream. It just didn't feel quite right when I saw it, yet I knew that I remembered seeing it somewhere.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
that doesn't real explain anything in my opinion sinobyte...I think that's pretty obvious...plus the fact that there are many things that experience in dreams of places you've never been too and people you've never met...i think the question is what the underlying meaning of those things are

It's not supposed to explain anything. It's my opinion. As I already stated, nobody knows what dreams are. Nobody knows what the underlying "things" that cannot be explained in dreams are. Not to be rude but none of that has anything to do with the question posed by this thread.
The overall question was...are dreams subconscious stress relief or divine messages, not "what are the explanations for that which we experience in our dreams?".

[Edited on 6/2/2004 by Sinobyte]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
yea im sorry i came off so harsh...from my dreams though the only time they relate to my life as i know it is through seemingly trivial specifics within the dream, but their overall structure is usually something that i have never thought of...maybe my imagination running wild. But even imagination i see as an entire universe within a person. And I think that universe somehow connects with everything else...probably stemming from the theory that in the big bang everything was down to a singularity at first.

But anyway...I had an interesting dream in which there was a lot of flooding going on and I've been experimenting a lot with making myself conscious in dreams. So....I see walls of water crashing down and I know I can run away from it and be OK. But in this particular dream, I remember consciously deciding to confront it and at one point a wall of water was about a foot away from me and I made it stop with my mind and I watched the water standing still right in front of me and then with my mind I reversed the process..making the water recede. I experiment a lot with this type of dreaming and it seems the more I try to make myself conscious in a dream (while im still awake) the more I have deja vu.

I read an thread recently establishing a scientific fact that deja vu is created when your brain misfires and sends a signal that that deja vu experience has already occured (is in memory). I felt kind of sad about reading that, due to what I believe about deja vu. But just today actually...I experienced a deja vu unlike any other in that I remember seeing/experiencing the moment TWICE!!! i was pretty overjoyed because it contradicted that scientific theory and I didn't even think of the ramifications until later on...this might have nothing to do with this thread but I wanted to post it somewhere.

Either way, the power of the mind is an incredible thing.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
My opinion of dreams is similar to asala's. I know people who have had dreams that have supposedly had messages in them of future events and even simply to figure out puzzles or number games. Dreams are kind of funny. I heard once that when you cannot remember your dreams, this is when you should try your hardest to do so because your brain is trying to protect you against a hidden truth about yourself or something else about the world that your subconsious mind knows, but your mind thinks it would be to traumatising for your waking conscous to know about. I think we probably learn from them as much as our mind tells us we should. I think that your mind encodes the information in a way that needs to be deceifered. This is the minds way of saying "there it is, if you want it bad enough you will learn how to use it".

Just my opinion.
May be a bad one, but let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Kata

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Unconscious meets (some conscious *) in a battle of wits, reducing primal fears and urges and shocking things to the tiniest symbols while working through bodily sensations and remnants of the day to create entertaining plots for the dreamer, the purpose of all of which is to keep you asleep and give your cells a chance to quietly regenerate, at least those that can.

* Here I meant to type subconscious but it was a Freudian slip which on reflection makes sense to me at least, so there it stays.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Unconscious meets (some conscious *) in a battle of wits, reducing primal fears and urges and shocking things to the tiniest symbols while working through bodily sensations and remnants of the day to create entertaining plots for the dreamer, the purpose of all of which is to keep you asleep and give your cells a chance to quietly regenerate, at least those that can.

* Here I meant to type subconscious but it was a Freudian slip which on reflection makes sense to me at least, so there it stays.

Nice slip. So you say, all in all, the purpose of dreaming is to keep the dreamer asleep? Then why do dreams sometimes wake me? And also a battle of wits is a battle nonetheless and battles aren't peaceful be they conscious, subconscious or unconscious.

Also some dreams or nightmares rather, do not seem to reduce primal fears but induce them. Why is that?

I think that dreams can sometimes be a lesson or preparation from *some conscious* or subconscious which can later be reflected upon and understood on a conscious level. What do you think?
Mags

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
The dreams wake you up because the dream work is not working for you, the unconscious and primal has slipped through as a result of your personal subconscious repression mechanisms "sleeping on the job".

BTW, you missed something where you were 7 minutes ago.

I think lots on this very very interesting subject matter. Also, I have dreams by day which motivate me to action not by fear but by greater emotions and drives.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I also think its interesting how "shamans-in-training" sometimes spend months and months alone in an igloo sitting in the exact same position the entire time, with little or nothing to eat during the days and they have the most vivid dreams and visions they have ever had...and maybe/probably? in comparison to others (Thats part of their ability to be a shaman/village leader I guess). All of this occuring while they are young and have little or no knowledge (be it conscious or unconscious) of the difference between the external and internal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join