It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bends matter, surprising scientists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
Now that was not my hypothesis -- I only have backed up the original poster of it because again 1) DNA absorbs and transduces light 2) DNA is a spiral and the nanomatter was turned into a spiral.

According to this argument, I can also argue this:

1. light breaks up into different frequencies when it enters a prism
2. Dropping the prism on my toes can break my toes

Therefore, I hypothesize that light can break my toes. (not really, just making a point). Sounds pretty ridiculous but that seems to be the logic you're using to connect those two observations you made. Not only that but I didn't find where your sources even back up your 2nd claim as a true statement.

Taking two unrelated events just because the involve one common element, be it a prism, or be it DNA, and claiming a connection, is flawed logic. Now if you have some REASON to connect them, then it's another story, but I've seen no reason, logic, explanation, or hypothesis to do that.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Light can break toes

www.youtube.com...

Again -- good luck in your endeavors.

www.converanet.com...

Chiral structures improve system transmission efficiency and robustness. They also make in-fiber devices possible that can displace discrete optical elements such as filters, lasers, and sensors and improve ease of integration.

weboflife.nasa.gov...

Unexpectedly, moss specimens grown on STS–87 showed non-random subcellular component distribution and spiral growth.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by drew hempel]

[edit on 25-3-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz

Originally posted by fnord
this basically proves that light indeed has mass, but, it could only have mass when observed.

are you talking about the double split theory ?

en.wikipedia.org...

a video www.youtube.com...

wave particle duality
en.wikipedia.org...

Diffraction, Interference and Young's Double Slit Experiment
www.nanoed.org...

Thank you, I have been looking for this video for 3 years. I forgot it was called "double split theory".

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

this basically proves that light indeed has mass, but, it could only have mass when observed.

No, it's not correct. It shows that light (circularly polarized) can transmit angular momentum to charged particles, which is predicted by conventional classical physics (Maxwell/Einstein electrodynamics).

[edit on 25-3-2010 by mbkennel]

[edit on 25-3-2010 by mbkennel]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gentill Abdulla
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

(Like I have said many times) You can use light to make a time machine. The real question is how. But ,fortunately for me, nobody knows. RATHER than me of course.

When you finally *DO* make your time machine, can you go back in time and clean up all the threads in which you keep posting this about? I mean, courtesy.

Don't be a litter bug..

Oh and yeah, I don't believe you .

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by magnetix
double post - delete

[edit on 25-3-2010 by magnetix]

You used too much light in the post and it split into two separate posts?

Uncanny !!

So, what do we have here... people are confusing 'sun'light with light, light with matter and matter with It doesn't.

Simply meaning, light affects things. Hey plants EAT it.

Nano-particles warp from it. Can we turn that mechanical act into a subtle energy ? If so, then we're onto something.

Super excitable fabrics that give off not only solar energy but also an additional element of mechanically generated energy.

I have no idea, but it's not as if light is bending matter the same way matter can 'bend' light.

If light itself can create movement, kinetic energy, surely there is a way to work with it for some use???

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Actually, if you did some research, you'd realize that the idea of using light to time travel has made it to the main stream of cutting edge physics.

Ever hear of a physicist named Ronald Mallet? The OP might be playing with words, because the idea is not a secret. Surely your ignorance in a subject shouldn't be a reason to ban a member, would it?

Are you aware of Gentiles assertions? Not the OP. This guy.

the 14 year old with the working time machine plans, who flaunts the laws of physics and argues he CAN make it.

But never does....

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
There is a liberal spreading of bovine excrement in the title of this thread.

Photons hit atom, excite electrons, cause quantum leap, molecule changes shape to rebalance itself.

Should be the proper title.

And we already know it so I don't see how the scientists would be baffled by their results.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

thanks for inspiring me to reread the article:

"To be honest, it took us three and a half years to really figure out how photons of light can lead to such a remarkable change in rigid structures a thousand times bigger than molecules."

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

No probs - next up: Scientists freeze water and see that it becomes bigger (OMFG!!)

-m0r

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
how do photons move matter on that level? is this a response to the to charge (like a magnet moves iron filings)?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire

Originally posted by Wolfenz

are you talking about the double split theory ?

en.wikipedia.org...

a video www.youtube.com...

wave particle duality
en.wikipedia.org...

Diffraction, Interference and Young's Double Slit Experiment
www.nanoed.org...

Thank you, I have been looking for this video for 3 years. I forgot it was called "double split theory".

your very much welcome

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Actually, if you did some research, you'd realize that the idea of using light to time travel has made it to the main stream of cutting edge physics.

Ever hear of a physicist named Ronald Mallet? The OP might be playing with words, because the idea is not a secret. Surely your ignorance in a subject shouldn't be a reason to ban a member, would it?

Are you aware of Gentiles assertions? Not the OP. This guy.

the 14 year old with the working time machine plans, who flaunts the laws of physics and argues he CAN make it.

But never does....

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Just so everyone knows I haven't even TOLD him about my new experiment plan AND he is completely against it. THEN he goes on saying that I can't make it. Basically you are saying somethings wrong before even listening to it.
Word of advice, (Not to be taken as an insult) don't be so ignorant.

Also to the light bending matter, I thought that would be the case. It seems that light would act like that.(Based on what I've read about anyway.)

P.S.: The people that I have told it to do agree with me.Oh and to prove another point, I'm not even 14 yet.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Scientists have been using light for some time to pull at matter. Last year they demonstrated that they can use light to push matter. They've used this to make nano-switches that can be pulled or pushed with a laser.

I've forgotten how the effect was explained, but the pulling off matter with light has been well documented for sometime at the nano scale and has been explained. They had been searching for the inverse effect however, but this is not something new as the original article would have you believe.

The curling may be new...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
When you get down to such a tiny, fragile level such as nanowires, light is heat. If the subject in question is thin enough, and fragile enough, weak light can cause distortion of the subject.

Think of it like this. Those listerine breath strips--VERY thin. you put one on your tongue, and it melts away. This works because its a few microns thick.

Now, take that same breath strip, and make it 3 inches thick, and there is no way its going to melt on your tongue.

Both work in the same way pretty much.. the smaller and more fragile something is, the easier it is to become affected.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Scientists are somehow slow. Probably because they are trapped by their own incomplete ideas I don't know.

Soon they will find out that there isn't much difference between light, sound and matter in the broad sense of things, they are all just operating at different "frequencies" or "frequencies levels".

I just don't want to see what will happen to the world once we learn how to manipulate those.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
So, you can knock over a standing (slightly folded) piece of thin white cigarette paper with a high powered photo strobe light placed 4 inches away.

When the light hits it, you can hear the 'whack'.

Try it yourself.

Is this not the same phenomenon, eg... light imparting a kinetic force on matter?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Like I said, the force exerted on matter by light have been known for years.

So why is this surprising?

I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

en.wikipedia.org...

Such feeble pressures are, nevertheless, able to produce marked effects upon minute particles like gas ions and electrons,

"To be honest, it took us three and a half years to really figure out how photons of light can lead to such a remarkable change in rigid structures a thousand times bigger than molecules."

[edit on 27-3-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

Right. So what's the surprise?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join