It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we intentionally bankrupt the U.S. government?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Putting aside the argument that the U.S. government is already in the red and unsustainable, can we bring about the end of the U.S. government very soon by using so much government assisted programs that it just collapses?

What do you thinlk of the following?

1) Everybody in the U.S. change your tax status with your employers payroll so that you don't pay taxes or pay a small amount of taxes untill next year when taxes are due again. (Usually I overpay and get money back..lets not give the government interest-free loans anymore.)

2) Abuse the system. Use tax credits, government programs that help support your food, utilities, education etc.

3) With the passage of the Health Care Bill, the U.S. government will be burdened by huge health related costs. Scrape your knee and go to the Emergency room. Get the sniffles and see a doctor. Get perscriptions from you doctor for ADD or restless leg syndrome (or some other made up condition) and don't take the pills.

In other words, let all 300,000,000 USE and ABUSE government programs that it goes bankrupt. Then we elect a new George Washington, declare our debts to other nations void, and start over with a small federal government with stronger State governments.

What do you think?

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Longtimegone]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Longtimegone

Nice to think of it being that easy.

But you are only killing the economy part of the government. The people are still there until the end of their terms and even then they can run for re election.

Bankrupting the government will only hurt us, which is why we are getting upset over the massive amounts of money the government is spending. They are bankrupting themselves without our help. If we are so against them doing it themselves, what would be the point in helping them?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Sounds good except the part about scraping your knee and going to the ER, etc. Such a thing would be paid by you and your insurance company. The US Government wouldn't be affected at all. *shrug*

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Miracle Man

Why would the economy suffer if the government has no money? The economy is separate from the government. Once government runs out of money, employees will stop recieving paychecks, I think it would all just collapse. I would have a gun handy for protecting my personal property though.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
What will you tell the millions of retired Americans who have just lost their life savings?

What will you tell countries like China and Japan who hold your debt?

How will the US borrow money to pay for all the things it needs after its economy has collapsed?

Seriously, this idea is pretty silly.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I know this is an ill-concieved plan. But we need to stop giving our government money. I'm tired of paying for wars, personal projects, and other peoples mistakes. Why can't all 300,000,000 of us agree on this?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

What happens to the government happens to the economy.

Its a sad, but true fact.

You can't destroy the government and expect the economy to keep on trucking as if nothing is happening.

1. The government starts to lose money.

2. They start to print more money to make up for it.

3. The dollar inflates massively.

4. The economy cannot sustain the inflation.

5. The economy tanks.

6. You shot yourself in the foot.

7. You complain about how its the governments fault.

8. The same cycle starts over again.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by krunchy

Why do you think we need to borrow money? Take away wasteful spending, wars, etc. and I think this countr y produces enough to sustain itself. Also who cares about China. I heard they are behind 9/11 anyway.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longtimegone

Isn't that rather like intentionally making water wet?

Wait a minute...

Okay, done.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

So lets do it. Lets stop putting it off and let the thing burn.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

reply to post by krunchy

Why do you think we need to borrow money? Take away wasteful spending, wars, etc. and I think this countr y produces enough to sustain itself. Also who cares about China. I heard they are behind 9/11 anyway.

China holds our debt. Thats why you should care about them.

Think of them as a bank who holds the title to your car. You stop paying them and they take the car back for debt not collectible.

Are you really serious about this thread or is this a joke you are trying to sustain?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

What do you think would happen? Do you think China is going to come over with a bunch of tanks and demand land or money. Don't think so.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Bankrupting the government means bankrupting yourself.

The government has no money of its own.

The only money government has is your money.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Why wouldn't they?

You just bankrupted the whole entire government. Without the government there isn't a military or the funds to start one.

Now you will say something along the lines of how the American citizen will fight off the chinease and blah blah blah.

Have fun, I am getting tired of knocking your half cocked ideas out of the park.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Okay. Lets cut off their allowance like a parent does to a misbehaving kid.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

You are adding nothing to the discussion. Help improve the idea or come up with a better one. Until then, please stop posting, you are wasting space.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Okay. Lets cut off their allowance like a parent does to a misbehaving kid.

Government cuts off your allowance.

You don't own your labor, the government does. It permits you to keep a portion of your wages for yourself.

You don't own your property, the government does. It permits you to rent land from them as long as you pay your rent.

You don't own your body, the government does. It allows you to keep living in your rented property and working for your slave wages as long as you don't do something to your body they disagree with - like smoke pot.

In fact, you don't own anything.

If you stop paying your rent to the state, do drugs, or quit working for them, they will simply throw you in prison or kill you.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man

Why wouldn't they?

You just bankrupted the whole entire government. Without the government there isn't a military or the funds to start one.

Now you will say something along the lines of how the American citizen will fight off the chinease and blah blah blah.

Have fun, I am getting tired of knocking your half cocked ideas out of the park.

Oh, our forefathers fought back pretty impossible odds a couple hundred years ago and created something special. We can do it again.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

You have a dark view on reality. I own my life as well as 300,000,000 others do. There is no prison built for 300,000,000 people.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Longtimegone]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

By government assisted I assume you mean the 14 Trillion $$ bailout of Wall Street as per Mother Jones, Jan/Feb. 2010.

www.democracynow.org...

philip.greenspun.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join