It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bart Stupak called 'baby killer' on House floor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

A health care debate marked by episodes of ugly rhetoric took another turn for the worse late Sunday night when a voice on the Republican side of the House shouted “baby killer” at Rep. Bart Stupak. Stupak – a leader among anti-abortion Democrats – was speaking at the time in opposition to a Republican motion to recommit that would have added the text of the so-called Stupak Amendment to the Democrats’ reconciliation bill. Stupak said the motion to recommit “purports to be a right-to-life motion” when in fact it was “a last-ditch effort" to keep millions of Americans from getting health insurance. The motion failed.
Reporters in the House chamber said the “baby killer” shout seemed to come from a group of lawmakers that included Rep. John Campbell (R-Calif.), but he said it wasn’t him.

“I don't think it’s appropriate at all," Campbell told POLITICO. Campbell said the voice came from the floor – from someone who was behind him and to the left. "Some people know who it is but won't say,” he added. Later, he told reporters that he thought the voice belonged to one of the Texans seated behind him. "The people who know won't give it up," he told reporters. "I'm not casting dispersions on that state." House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey (D-Wis.), who was in the chair at the time, said he saw a Republican lawmaker shout out “baby killer” – but he wouldn’t say who it was.

www.politico.com...

Whomever shouted out "baby killer" surely had to be outside health insurance company doors yelling the same thing at them...as most of them COVER ABORTIONS.

Geezus.

Why doesn't the AHOLE scream about big pharma and the health insurance industries that have LOBBIED for this bill!?!?!

There is so much BS flying around right now from all directions...it's a wonder anyone can make sense of it.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by David9176]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

He is not a baby killer.

But he is a moron.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Well at least we still have freedom of speech. Whoever said it was just exercising their right to free speech.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Will the coward Republican step forward? I don't know, but the longer he stays anonymous, the more he looks like an ass.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What an odd thing to yell out. I find it strange that the real baby killers (war supporters) are comprized many of anti-abortion people. I say don't abort after 6 months and they say wait until they are weaned before you kill them.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Texcin

Well at least we still have freedom of speech. Whoever said it was just exercising their right to free speech.

Sort of like how the religious groups protest abortion at the funerals of fallen soldiers. It's their right to freedom of speech, but it does not mean it's appropriate at the setting.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Randy Neugebauer (R-Tex.) identified himself as the member of congress who shouted "baby killer" during Rep. Bart Stupak's (D-Mich.) speech on the floor of the House of Representatives Sunday night.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

"I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."

The sincerity is craptastic. What a pantload.

Figures.........neocons repulse me. I vote Censure.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
That's how he expressed his displeasure with the bill? O.M.G.! These guys are disgusting. They act like children on a playground. I heard that the Republicans were pretty incensed at Stupak, though. They thought they could use him to stop this bill and he went and did the sensible thing at the last moment. Damn him!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Speaking of the bill, it was interesting to see that some Democrats did, in fact, vote against it. Shows they followed their beliefs and not simply along party lines, UNLIKE the Party of no. What does THAT tell you?

BTW there were over 200 Republican amendments to the bill, but still a 100% No vote.

Hey neocons how is the view of Waterloo? Careful what you wish for.

Speaking of Napoleon, he famously said: "Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"

[edit on 22-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
That's how he expressed his displeasure with the bill? O.M.G.! These guys are disgusting. They act like children on a playground. I heard that the Republicans were pretty incensed at Stupak, though. They thought they could use him to stop this bill and he went and did the sensible thing at the last moment. Damn him!

I agree the House Chamber is not the place to make those comments, but calling the Republicans disgusting and not the Democrats? This is but one example and there are many others of disgusting Republican behavior. But to act like Democrats are cleaner than the preacher's sheets???

You want a nice list of repulsive Democratic behavior - in 2009 alone???

The door swings both ways.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

(Raises hand.) Bring it! Need a little inspiration?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/08c5fbe431ce.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Stupak is the Neville Chamberlain of our time.....go back a little further and he could be compared to Benedict Arnold also.

What a twit.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Stupak is the Neville Chamberlain of our time.....go back a little further and he could be compared to Benedict Arnold also.

What a twit.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I agree the House Chamber is not the place to make those comments, but calling the Republicans disgusting and not the Democrats?

Hold your britches on! I didn't say Republicans were disgusting. I said "these guys" are disgusting. I don't care what letter is behind their name. Anyone who shouts out something so stupid and disrespectful on the house floor is disgusting.

But to act like Democrats are cleaner than the preacher's sheets???

I'm not acting like anything. You're TOTALLY assuming.

[edit on 3/22/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think Bart Stupak will live after this disrespectful outburst.

Throughout its history there have occasionally been similar incidents in Congress, but they have been remembered as exceptions and breaches of the civility and decorum expected of members of our country's highest legislative body.

If our national debate has disintegrated into catcalling by people who are supposed to represent us, what is happening to our social and political dialogue throughout the country? Are we all being reduced to drunken barroom brawlers or playground bullies?

Soon they'll be shouting "your mother drinks her bathwater" whenever anyone disagrees with them. Someone has already personally insulted the president from the floor.

I congratulate Bart Stupak on his well-considered vote in favor of health care reform, and certainly hope this kind of bullying will have no effect on his future decisions.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
I congratulate Bart Stupak on his well-considered vote in favor of health care reform, and certainly hope this kind of bullying will have no effect on his future decisions.

I don't think he'll take it as a person affront or anything. It says nothing about him and everything about the douche bag who yelled it out. Stupak seems to have a pretty level head. I'm sure he expected some kind of 'discontent' from the Republicans who were counting on him to be on their 'team'.

To the bigger issue of uncivil discourse we're experiencing, I think we see a reflection of it here on ATS. I'm sure it was bad when Bush was president, but I don't remember the level of hatred and animosity that I'm seeing now. It could be that my memory has softened over time, but the anger and vitriol I'm seeing here these days is so unpleasant and childish... And I don't just mean toward the figurehead, I mean toward other members. It's all the mods can do to keep it under control. It's really disheartening.

But it seems like a reflection of the feelings and actions in our government. It's unfortunate that adults have to act like that to get their point across. :shk:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The day that Obama's executive order is rescinded should be very interesting.

But, hey, anything to get a vote. No rules, no holds barred. This is a cage match like I've never seen before.

Kudos Stupak. How does it feel to sell your soul and everything that you have stood for throughout your life? I suppose he and the other sellouts are currently being fitted with their shiny new back braces right about now. Compliments of the govt. of course.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Let us not forget the continued call for "kill Bush" and "kill Cheney" throughout their run in the White House. I haven't seen that type of hate call for Barry yet.

Then again, I suppose Obama is slowly doing himself in, politically, with a dull butter knife.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I agree the House Chamber is not the place to make those comments, but calling the Republicans disgusting and not the Democrats? This is but one example and there are many others of disgusting Republican behavior. But to act like Democrats are cleaner than the preacher's sheets???

The door swings both ways.

100 stars for you. The hypocrisy is amazing.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
The day that Obama's executive order is rescinded should be very interesting.

But, hey, anything to get a vote. No rules, no holds barred. This is a cage match like I've never seen before.

Kudos Stupak. How does it feel to sell your soul and everything that you have stood for throughout your life? I suppose he and the other sellouts are currently being fitted with their shiny new back braces right about now. Compliments of the govt. of course.

I think Stupak blinked, and it will cost the lives of unborn children. I wouldn't trust Obama's word on this given his track record of comments regarding the Hyde ammendment

www.rhrealitycheck.org... en-barack-obamas-reproductive-health-questionnaire

Why do you consider Sen. Obama to be the strongest candidate on reproductive health and rights?
Throughout his career, Senator Obama has consistently championed a woman's right to choose, earning him 100% ratings from pro-choice groups during his tenure in the Illinois State Senate and the United States Senate. In 2005, he was the honorary chair of Planned Parenthood of Chicago Area's Roe v. Wade celebration. And he has not shied away from tough battles. In the Illinois State Senate, Obama worked hand-in-hand with advocacy groups to protect women's reproductive health.

Does Sen. Obama support the Hyde amendment? Under what circumstances does he believe that Medicaid should cover abortions (all pregnancies, life- or health-threatening pregnancies, pregnancies that are a result of rape or incest, extreme fetal malformation)?

Obama does not support the Hyde amendment. He believes that the federal government should not use its dollars to intrude on a poor woman's decision whether to carry to term or to terminate her pregnancy and selectively withhold benefits because she seeks to exercise her right of reproductive choice in a manner the government disfavors.

Pesonally, I wouldn't trust him on his word. The results will tell the story, lets see if abortions go up in number or down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join