It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full screen videos skip frames

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I watch a lot of videos on my laptop though whenever I view in full screen the frames skip. I am using a XPS M140 with 512 DDR and Linux Mint 7. I want to know what I can do besides increase the DRR in the short term could switching Distros fix this problem.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm at a loss because I don't know the machine or the distro.
The machine is probably skipping because of lack of resources. As you already mentioned, I'd stuff that machine full of as much RAM as I could afford. [if you want the OS to see 4G or more, you need to run the 64bit version of whatever distro you use]

All I remember about Mint is that it's derived from Ubuntu. You can try installing a lightweight desktop, like XFCE. You can try turning off unnecessary things and all bling. Same basic idea as Windows... turn off non-necessary cpu hogs. Use a solid color background, no exploding graphics, no Compiz, stuff like that.

If you have lots of hd space, carve up some partitions and install something like Xubuntu (I use that on everything from old machines to current ones). Avoid the KDE desktop.

Let me know how you make out.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yeah I guess Ill just have to increase the memory though there is no computer store in my town so Ill have to buy it online or go out of town to get it. Kind to think of there is not even a bike shop here.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Look into getting newer video card drivers if you can. It is worth a shot before you throw money at the problem.

Also, try reducing the resolution when your playing videos.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think I need to update the graphics chip though I heard that it as not easy with a laptop If I can find a place to upgrade the graphics then Ill do it if not too expensive. I thinking of getting a refurbished laptop from tiger direct to maybe replace this one.

top topics

join