It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tonnes of dead fish raise stink in Rio

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Tonnes of dead fish raise stink in Rio

www.presstv.ir

Amid serious concerns over climate change, the mass death of tonnes of fish on the shores of Rio de Janeiro's main lagoon has raised an alarm for a global warming disaster.

About 100 city clean-up crews say they have removed some 90 tonnes of dead fish so far on the shores of a popular beachside lagoon in Rio.

There was no immediate estimate of how many died, but several species were involved. The unpleasant smell is disturbing the local residents and passersby.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[mod edit: title - to same as source]

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
This is just messed up. Since when did fish die in the masses instantly like that? It can't be pollution or sewage, as they would be dying all the time. Is it even possible algae could have this much effect on the water, and kill so many fish? It just doesn't make any sense. Since when did water fall 10 degrees so fast?

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Sounds like the starting scene for a disaster movie.

It's too bad that humans are ruining this planet.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Well, they sure do swing around with the possiblities! first mention a 10 degree drop in 24 hrs, then algae or sewage? Who is looking into it? I want to know more about this!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Is this a joke? This would have to be a scary site to see at the beach.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Now that is strange. Also, 90 tonnes of fish involving several species and all they care about is the smell???

I'm with you on that WishForWings, it does sound like the starting scene for a disaster movie.

But I've never heard of an abrupt 10 degree drop causing a mass death among fish, this really needs to be looked at further if the info we're seeing is for real.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Hi all, pretty new to posting on ATS.

Is it possible that these fish died as a result of a pressure wave or similar from an earthquake / tsunami?

I am certainly no expert in this field so I could be way out on a limb here. But like has been said above, 90 tonnes is a LOT of fish.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Its no big deal, this kind of stuff happens all the time especially in lakes and ponds where oxygen levels get low. Here is a small list of such observances.

home.att.net...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Hi

My feeling is that this has something to do with the several massive earthquake in south America and surrounding area the last few days...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

It's too bad that humans are ruining this planet.

Although this statement is true to a great extent, when pertaining to this case it's very presumptive. Specially since the article claims a sharp 10 degree drop in temp could be the cause. Would that be the humans fault?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
other than a clean up job, and complaints on the smell, is anyone doing toxicology on these fish?

At what depth do the generally live at, or are they a mix from all depths?

of note is that RIO is on the opposite side of the continent than Chile, however, here's an interesting idea...

Recent tectonic events have briefly opened a rift under the ocean near RIO and the poisonous gases and heat that were released killed these fish.

next...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The recent earthquake activity in the area may have release huge amounts of sulphur or other natural "toxins" from newly formed fissures on the sea bed.

or man made pollutants dumped without license.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I have seen this result in Florida many times...called "Red Tide"

Earthquakes and undersea vents could also kill some fish.

90 tons is a lot of fish volume...I guess they will move it inland to keep the smell alive! At last, McDonalds can restock their yummy fish supply!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
From what I have seen in Brazilian sites it amounts "only" to 500 kilos, and each organisation has their opinion about what happened.

Death of fish have been caused by an increase in algae, says secretary - Google translation

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists

Its no big deal, this kind of stuff happens all the time especially in lakes and ponds where oxygen levels get low. Here is a small list of such observances.

home.att.net...

Umm, 90 tonnes of dead fish?! All the time. Please post your reference.

You do realize one tonne is 2,204 lbs. thats 198,360 lbs of dead fish!

Yet you say, don't be concerned, it happens all the time?

Wake up. Earth is giving us signs. Earth is being poisoned. It's not natural, it's manmade, by the same people that caused 9-11.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Well I know there was talk about the giant iceberg that broke off in antarctic could effect the movement of oxygen in the oceans that could cause dead zones which maybe was the caused the fish to die.

Massom said the shearing off of the ice tongue and the presence of the Mertz and B-9B icebergs could affect global ocean circulation.

The area is an important zone for the creation of dense, salty water that is a key driver of global ocean circulation. This is produced in part through the rapid production of sea ice that is continually blown to the west.

www.worldbulletin.net...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
To the OP:

To answer your question, yes algae can kill fish in mass in a very short period of time. Some scientists even say that they think algae is responsible for some of the mass extinctions here on earth.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
From what I have seen in Brazilian sites it amounts "only" to 500 kilos, and each organisation has their opinion about what happened.

500kg? That's a lot different than 90 tons??

I don't doubt algae could be the cause.

Someone mentioned a possible earthquake connection. I don't know how likely that is but it's not impossible, I've heard of earthquakes releasing hydrogen sulfide gas which can kill, but I'm aware of no evidence for that cause in this case.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Hydrogen sulfide is actually only found in certain natural gas deposits around the globe, namely the most prominent is Wyoming. They call it sour gas and have to have special training to work around it since H2S can kill in a single breath. It is actually a pretty rare thing. Not too many pockets of H2S...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
They should make a big compost area at the local dump and process and sell it. That would be a great way to turn a bad situation into a good one. That compost would be great for local farms.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join