It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if unemployment benefits do stop?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have been wrestling with the question for the last week what happens to America when it stops? I think it is the only thing holding the country together right now. And if it does stop it will unravel the very fabric of America. When people lose everything they often become very angry and that anger could turn to hate.

What I wish the administration would do is really create some jobs and no more money anywhere until America is back on it's feet. Let the world worry about places like Haiti it is not our job. We need new roads and schools better infrastructure across the board. Why not put all the electric lines underground?

If they do not create jobs and cut off the unemployment America is lost as we know it. It is simple create jobs and get the unemployed working again. Why is it so hard to do that? I am starting to wonder if they care about jobs at all.

And this is not a political issue Bush was just as bad it is a American issue.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I am assuming you are trying to say "if unemployment benefits stop", it will destroy America.

Ending unemployment (in terms of people without a job) would be a good thing.
Kind of funny that you list that it's more important to end aid to Haiti, than to stop occupation and bombing in countries where we have no business being, which are 100% more expensive.

The government only cares about unemployment because they are losing their tax base, and stuck with the bill. However, the medicare budget and military budget makes it look minuscule by comparison. We are set for a severe dollar devaluation.

The reality of the situation is we are screwed, and we can't blame anyone but ourselves.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth
I am assuming you are trying to say "if unemployment benefits stop", it will destroy America.

Ending unemployment (in terms of people without a job) would be a good thing.

The reality of the situation is we are screwed.

I hope you are not right but it sure does look that way does it not. But would you not also say that unemployment benefits are the only thing holding this together?

And I changed my header thanks.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Yes, I agree that the unemployment benefits are the duct-tape that is holding this go-kart together. Only problem is the duct tape has been sitting out in the sun to long, the glue is going bad, and we jumped the curb into oncoming traffic on the freeway.

Well, the other duct tape that is holding the country together is the fact that 1/3 of the workers in the country work directly or indirectly for the government. That is also starting to fall apart because we no longer have the tax base to support this kind of spending (not that we did in the first place...). The government is an out of control gremlin that got fed after midnight, and there's not enough food to feed it anymore. This is compounded worse because as government jobs are laid off, it makes the unemployment situation even worse!!

And even if we stopped spending on these pointless, unjustified wars, that would only make the unemployment problems even worse!

You are right though... The country truly is screwed when the benefits run out. Many more mortgage defaults, homeless through the roof, the economy will take an even larger hit. Its gonna be scary in the next year, they can't keep extending benefits forever, and a few jobs here and there won't cut it.

This "green jobs" crap is a joke, for every single "green job" created it costs like half a million dollars a year and causes the loss of 2 other jobs, pretty much. (non-scientific numbers).

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that despite all indications to the contrary, many economic advisors still believe that trickle down economics works.

Give money to the rich, and the poor will benefit.

Except for the simple fact that it doesnt.

www.reuters.com...

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said on Tuesday the U.S. economic recovery was "extremely unbalanced," driven largely by high earners benefiting from recovering stock markets and and large corporations.

Small businesses and the jobless are still suffering from the aftermath of a credit crunch that was "by far the greatest financial crisis, globally, ever" -- including the 1930s Great Depression, said Greenspan in an address to a Credit Union National Association conference.

Economies trickle up. They always have, and they always will. If you want an economy to do better, you make sure the bottom is strong. Our economies are pyramid shaped. You strengthen the base, the top is secure. You weaken the base and add too much to the top, and they crumble.

An utter and complete misunderstanding of this concept is why we are recovering so poorly.

Edit to correct egregious spelling errors.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well, for some, it will mean swallowing their pride and "stop holding out for a manager's position" and take that job bobbing for fries at Mickey D's.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
People are fired in every at some point. What we have now is a bunch of laid off people, a bunch of fired people, a bunch of people entering the workforce, a bunch of people finishing college, and a bunch of people that maybe had to quit their jobs so that another spouse could move and get a higher paying job. All of these are competing for the next job. What we have is a crumbling system. The writing is on the wall folks. That deck is stacked. The boat has come into dock. Worst of all is that those with money will hold it so close to themselves out of fear, they will lose it all and end up taking the entire country with them.

There is plenty of money out there. It is just not in the hand of consumers. This is where the rich elite fail. If they take all the money there is nobody left to buy anything from them.

It is time for all of us to start dreaming of a new way we would design our system to prevent this in the future. I have no doubt all of the corrupt institutions are all taking their final breath.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

What I don't understand is why not really make some jobs? We could use new roads and bridges and etc.......... So why don't they do it? Is the fix in on America?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think that the ending of unemployment benefits in the US would be a horrible "bump in the road" for sure...and indeed, people do desperate things when they no longer have anything to lose.....if you've nothing.....and there is nothing too hopeful in the horizon....well, I could certainly see violence being a strong possibility. I ALSO worry about when the worthless dollar falls into oblivion...and everything most people hold, (except those with maybe gold, gems...those kinds of things), will be completely worthless.....THAT will be an equally terrible thing and can/will lead to violence and upheaval....I think what is coming in the future will make the Depression look like a holiday and the previous civil war child's play.......(my opinion, for what it is worth...I hope I am wrong....)

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You're right. Trickle down economics is a joke.

If you look at the money spent on the bailout, vs. how many jobs "saved", the numbers are truly sickening. They might have well just paid everybody in the country an extra 20,000 in payments and kicked the economy around... Instead the spent all the money, and nothing is fixed. It just propped up a broken system.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Well, for some, it will mean swallowing their pride and "stop holding out for a manager's position" and take that job bobbing for fries at Mickey D's.

You are talking about alot of people that were making very good money. There unemployment is just enough to pay the bills. But if they go and take a crap job they will make less and lose everything don't you see. And to be honest even the low paying jobs a re drying up fast.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

God I hope you are wrong to!!!! But I think we both know you are seeing things for what they are. It hard to see such terrible truth.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

What I don't understand is why not really make some jobs? We could use new roads and bridges and etc.......... So why don't they do it? Is the fix in on America?

Make some more roads and bridges.... With what money?? They already given everything to the bankers. Almost every single state is running a huge deficit. There's just not money to create government jobs...

What they need to do is loosen the environmental restrictions, increase tariffs to make it worthwhile to create manufacturing jobs back on American soil.. But this won't happen.

The best thing that could happen for America I think would be a war with the Chinese...
It would at least give us manufacturing jobs again...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well, after the 1.2 million people who will loose there benefits tomorrow, (I believe thats correct)

The government will come out and say "Unemployment has dropped tremendously" (has a nice spin to it)

...anyways back to your question, The people that had a 70G job was still looking for that 70G job, not a 30G job. Now when unemployment drops off, they will start taking these 20-40G jobs.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by TrainDispatcher]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

So they go to McDonalds and stand in a line with 40 other people for one opening and get rejected because there was only one opening, not 40.

Now what?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrainDispatcher
Well, after the 1.2 million people who will loose there benefits tomorrow, (I believe thats correct)

The government will come out and say "Unemployment has dropped tremendously" (has a nice spin to it)

I hope thats the case but it sounds like they are going to extend it again.

Its really BS how many people don't have jobs and will tell you to your face they are just going to milk the system right now.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I think this may be the end game they see for us. War is a easy solution to this problem but at what cost? We can do this another way they choose not to. If they had just given the money to us instead of the banks everything would have been fine. The economy would have boomed.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Originally posted by TrainDispatcher

I hope thats the case but it sounds like they are going to extend it again.

Its really BS how many people don't have jobs and will tell you to your face they are just going to milk the system right now.

I think you are wrong I think most Americans want to work. We need to build roads and infrastructure it is the only way other than war.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

I think this may be the end game they see for us. War is a easy solution to this problem but at what cost? We can do this another way they choose not to. If they had just given the money to us instead of the banks everything would have been fine. The economy would have boomed.

They know the trickle down theory is a lie.. Anyone with any common sense AT ALL knows that money goes up and into banks... money does not go down... They used the bogus "trickle down" LIE as an excuse for the bail outs... Surprise! We haven't seen any improvement in the economy!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
So they go to McDonalds and stand in a line with 40 other people for one opening and get rejected because there was only one opening, not 40.

Well, that means at least one person is working.

I know it sucks, I know the pay isn't good, but there are jobs out there. A lot of people out there are "career unemployed".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join