It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peace Culture Weakens NATO: The US is becoming increasingly frustrated with Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Peace Culture Weakens NATO: The US is becoming increasingly frustrated with Europe

www.globalresearch.ca

The following article published in The Australian acknowledges the surge in NATO troop deployments to Afghanistan, while tacitly deploring the "wave of pacifism" in several countries of the European Union, which has led to a reduction in troop deployments by several NATO countries.

What is required, according to The Australian, quoting Defense Secretart Robert Gates is to promote a "military culture" with a view to encouraging Western European NATO countries to send more troops to Afghanistan
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theaustralian.com.au

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

NATO'S recent deployment of 20,000 extra troops to Afghanistan was vital to the allied war effort. Despite the increase, US Defence Secretary Robert Gates has identified a serious problem when he refers to a "crisis" in the NATO alliance. He is concerned about the wave of pacifism sweeping Europe's political leadership, which, he says, makes it difficult for the US to operate and fight with its continental partners.

With the exception of the British, the French and to a lesser extent the Dutch, who are unfortunately withdrawing their 2000 soldiers from Afghanistan, the remaining NATO nations, in general, have lost the facility to fight. On the ground, their efforts do not match the heavy fighting of Australia's contingent in Afghanistan, for instance, especially the SAS and commandos. Some of NATO's newer members, formerly part of Soviet-dominated Eastern Europe have retained a sense of military culture, but most, except Poland, are insufficiently equipped to play significant frontline roles.

Be prepared guys seems the Elites and Global powers are gonna do another "miracle" to enforce the "military culture" on people.

In Western Europe's prosperous decades of peace that followed World War II, there was little reason to promote a military culture. In a world threatened by terror and radical Islam, however, that lack of fighting spirit, as Dr Gates says, "has gone from a blessing in the 20th century to an impediment to achieving real security and lasting peace in the 21st". It is not realistic, long-term, for Western security to rest solely on the military might of the US.

Perhaps Dr. Gates need to be reminded that Elites took it upon itself to invade and now when people are seeing the farce and are asking questions they are complaining about the "lack of spirit". Imho why not send these politicians on the battlefield to fight wars instead of innocent civilians to become fodder of the military complex and machinery of churning profit.

www.globalresearch.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
*sigh*

Dr. Gates needs to take a look at what good 5000 years of recorded years of "military culture" has done the world.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So the new / old propaganda "Peace is Evil" is back again?

When did our world go so crazy to think that peace is bad?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

Peace is good if the other team is white people, too.

If they're Arabs or blacks or Asians, though, sharpen the bayonets!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
What the Europeans know that the US being a country for under 300 years don't know is that the rest of the world have been fighting off and on for hundreds if not thousands of years. From different kings to different cultures etc. etc.. Europe and the middle east and the east knows about warfare, and know what militarism has done to their society. The reason why Australia is acting tough is that they know that they need the US as an ally for their country of 20 million and change (especially against China). You see in the US we don't see the full force of the wars we fight. Imagine if instead of always going over their and fighting an enemy, that an enemy was over here attacking, bombing and taking land. Imagine that Florida was taken in an operation by some country. It's real easy to say this or that about being a military power, but if you have to see the results and or consequences of fighting those wars you might be a pacifist.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
*sigh*

Dr. Gates needs to take a look at what good 5000 years of recorded years of "military culture" has done the world.

Its spread humanity across the planet, brought us into the space age, nuclear age and age of information.

Had it not been for the Cold War, we would not be discussing this on the wonderful invention known as the Internet.

[edit on 28/2/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

I think that this has to do with the silly Europeans actually expect the offspring of their ruling classes to actually see combat in a way that the USA'a elite could never do.

Far too many are happy for other people's kids to come back in body bags for someone else's war.

T

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Originally posted by Monts
*sigh*

Its spread humanity across the planet, brought us into the space age, nuclear age and age of information.

Had it not been for the Cold War, we would not be discussing this on the wonderful invention known as the Internet.

Is that not rather a sad statement? What it translates to is that there is a lot more money to be made from war than from peace.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Sending all the politicians over to Afghanistan to fight is the best idea I have heard lately. I applaud the idea. Empty out the White House. While they are off fighting, then America can replace them with people that might give a damn about this country.

As far as Europe goes, I'm sure that there are a lot of people getting fed up with the war in Afghanistan. Even some of our own troops are and think we should bring them all home, secure our borders, and tend to our own country since it is about to collapse.....But the Elite want the oil.........

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
OH MY GOD WE GOTTA STOP THIS!!!

I mean honestly what if other nations started promoting peace as well?

I mean what would happen if it spread across the planet?

What would the war mongers do? It would put them out of action. We can't have that...

think of all the poor starving arms merchants.

PEACE. Its a commie plot I tell ya.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

How could you possibly know that? There's a multitude of directions humanity could have gone if we weren't so war mongering..

If it wasn't for the dark ages, we could have colonized the universe..

If it wasn't for WW2, communism wouldn't have taken over half the planet and we could have had double explosive technological developments, exactly like what was leading up to WW2.. the development of computers, intricate electronics etc etc

[edit on 1/3/10 by Dermo]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Gee, I'm so sad that Prime Minister Harper decided to pull the plug on the U.S.'s war in Afghanistan (insert sarcastic emoticon here)... You know, when fighting for a bully you are just as guilty no matter what your intentions are... I still don't understand what we were doing there... We refused to go to Irak, why not refuse to go to Afghanistan???

It's too bad he doesn't have the gonads to stand up to them on other issues...

Magnum

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Anything that is weakened by peace, and needs a military culture to strengthen is an evil thing.

Plain and simple.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Excuse me for my simpleness .. as a normal working 9-5 civilian in the UK i am getting fed up of the war in Afghan .. not becuase the lack of support from others countries but the lack of support the armed services have from our government. Constant cut backs constant shortages of equipment. Here we are fighting a sophisticated enemy and insurgancy and yet our government cant afford to support the war or its troops, this is one reason i didnt sign up to become a soldier.

Has there been any advance in afghan in the last few years, maybe a little but i will see constant news reports of soldiers dying out there in many years to come. RIP and respect the the fallen men and women around the world from all countries who have passed away under the hands of the governments who cant afford to help their forces

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

It could be successfully argued that the reason we haven't had to fight a war here is exactly because of our militarism.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
OP,

When you stated there was another 'miracle' going to happen, are you predicting some kind of false flag terrorist attack on europe to get that back in the ball game?

I don't know where I stand in terms of 911...at least I don't think the official story is all there is to it....but if something happens now in europe that gets attributed to terrorists that would seem to be a pretty big coincidence.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bagari

Of course it could also be argued that the reason we dont fight many wars over here(which, for the record, we have fought some), is purely because of strategic location.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

The EU is already in the process of re- Militarizing Europe but it will be pretty slow for the time being. Rapid response forces first and strategic commands but once the foundations are set, a well timed attack in the right place would be perfect for integrating it completely and deploying it.

This is one thing I am completely against for Europe.. I support the defense part but its the offense part that I really dislike.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Its not about money. We have been fighting for millenia.

Its human nature. Humans are not peaceful creatures.

Peace is stasis. True peace means no development or advancement.

Conflict is a catalyst. Without it we would still be essentially animals. Conflict gave us the first weapons and the first settlements. Humans fortified against other humans. These settlements became cities and out of that emerged human civilization.

Our struggle as a species is what develops and advances us. Without it we would stagnate and decay.

One of the largest issues with people is idealistic fantasy. People have these bizarre fantasies about what they think humanity should be. World peace and other such nonsense come out of this.

Humans as a whole need to embrace the reality of their nature. Once we recognize it, then we can control it, channel it, and contain it. If we don't the less idealist humans will take advantage of those living in a fantasy world. This happens over and over in history.

Flowers and discussions don't stop barbarian hordes. Pack behavior is involved in this. Such nonsense announces to the hordes we are not alpha males and we want to submit.

Again the issue is human nature and some in Europe have embraced a culture of submission.

[edit on 1/3/10 by MikeboydUS]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join