It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cable companies offere exculsive lower pricing to exclusive areas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I am in the process of moving. I have been looking into some TV options since the whole digital televsion is not real relaible during bad weather.I found out if you live certain areas your rates aree about 50% lower than the average customer.
That area is in the Johnson county area which is known to be a well off area.
It is almost like they want the poor to lower middle class people to be cut off from tv.
ATT u-verse is $54.99 per month and they charge $20 for locals only in my area. Why would I want to pay only for locals?
Time warner cable is $48-$65. What ever happened to the good tv deals at the begginning of HDTV transition. I feel like the cable companies are taking advantage of the situation to make more of a profit. This sickens me.

Those are only 2 options in my area and they don't even try to be compettve at all. They know that I have to choose between only those two and they don't care they I can't afford either.
I guess I am just going to hope the digital tv does not go out during bad weather.
If inflation is negative then why have cable prices gone up? If I want to get a t and t u-verse I must also pay $35 for my internet.
I am begginning to feel like the UNited States is catering more to the very few;those who are rich and have a lot money.
I am sick of iT!!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
They also turned off my services temporaly at time warner cable for asking for lowered rates. They sent me to the "rention" department who did not even try to keep me.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
i just don't understand why everything is catering to the rich or upper middle class in a recession. All new apartments that are built are luxery at $700 per month for a one bedroom!!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

It's a monopoly and the gobermnt doesn't care. That's how far our country is plunging down the sewer.
Remember when Bell Telephone AT&T were found guilty of a monopoly and they were split up. That is where Cingular wireless came from. And when Cingular folded, guess who bought them, AT&T
Thanks to Bush, and do nutin fo da people next guy.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
From the American perspective.. isn't that just capitalism at work? People are obviously willing to pay those ridiculous prices and since the competition wants to make just as much money, they play ball. I don't know where you stand in terms of your American political spectrum, but if you're a conservative or libertarian you should be cheering for their profits and ability to take advantage of the situation they've been handed, right? Can't have it both ways.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

in this particular area we began with 'Community Antenna TV'

later on as the technology improved the CATV was replaced with subscriber based 'Cable TV'
which was just glorified CATV but with a single channel from out-of-state....
the 'Cable' companies had very persuasive lobbists and got a commitment from the Gov't that the 'providers' would be guaranteed a monopoly in their area so as to protect their infrastructure investments.

what hogwarsh... they made a killing then and continue to stick it to the area resident.... just guess what the tourist hotels pay for their cable TV
~~ they sure don't pay anywhere near $45-65 month for service per unit,
they might pay $100 for cable to all 150 units in their hotel each month.

keep in mind that there are hundreds of gated properties with a HOA home-owners-association which bids for their communities service (lets say 150 units)... i know of 2 properties i've lived in that the basic cable is under $20 mo. because the cable co. is trying to be a 'good citizen' ....
but at the expense of the private resident/rentor/homeowner...

these fat cats are waaaay too overpaid... & have kaboos of profits even after any hurricane damage every few or more years !

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Just get everyone in your area to cut off their cable for a month. Then watch the great offers from the cable company come rolling in.

This is probably what is happening in these "exclusive" areas. They probably are very hard working people with little time for Cable TV. The Cable company has to offer them a great deal in order for them to accept their services.

DO NOT DISTURB:

Free Market and Capitalism at work.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
From the American perspective.. isn't that just capitalism at work? People are obviously willing to pay those ridiculous prices and since the competition wants to make just as much money, they play ball. I don't know where you stand in terms of your American political spectrum, but if you're a conservative or libertarian you should be cheering for their profits and ability to take advantage of the situation they've been handed, right? Can't have it both ways.

Actually No That is not capitalism. We haven't had capitalism here for awhile. Where I live as an example, we have one phone company. No other phone company can come in as Verizon has a monopoly here. Which I believe is against the law. ***SIGH*** Too bad the gov won't enforce the laws anymore except if you are poor or middle class. Corporatism suxs!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

Actually No That is not capitalism. We haven't had capitalism here for awhile. Where I live as an example, we have one phone company. No other phone company can come in as Verizon has a monopoly here. Which I believe is against the law. ***SIGH*** Too bad the gov won't enforce the laws anymore except if you are poor or middle class. Corporatism suxs!

Yes, and it's local government that makes the deals that give one company exclusive rights to their area.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is not unusual.

Food, gasoline, insurance, cost more in poor neighborhoods.

Even internet cost more in some poor neighborhoods.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Not sure if what you say is true or not but I could make a case for why that would be legitimate.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I have often heard the term it costs more to be poor. I see these movie stars who have tons of money yet get things for free yet the people who need free things have to pay a lot.
It doesn't make sense to me. I don't see why I can't have what I want at reasonable prices why should I pay $54 plus $5 box rental to have u-verse one tv! Ridculous!
If you speak up then they feel you are a threat.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I had my Comcast cable bill reduced just by calling and complaining that it was too high and I was exploring options of going to Direct TV. I was paying $140 for internet and cable with HBO, Starz and Encore. I now pay $85, got a retro check for the previous year and free Showtime. This was not a one-time deal as I did this over 3 years ago and my rate has not increased since then. You would be surprised that if you take the right tact and speak to a supervisor that you can do this with many companies.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I am in the process of moving. I have been looking into some TV options since the whole digital televsion is not real relaible during bad weather.I found out if you live certain areas your rates aree about 50% lower than the average customer.
That area is in the Johnson county area which is known to be a well off area.
It is almost like they want the poor to lower middle class people to be cut off from tv.
ATT u-verse is $54.99 per month and they charge $20 for locals only in my area. Why would I want to pay only for locals?
Time warner cable is $48-$65. What ever happened to the good tv deals at the begginning of HDTV transition. I feel like the cable companies are taking advantage of the situation to make more of a profit. This sickens me.

Those are only 2 options in my area and they don't even try to be compettve at all. They know that I have to choose between only those two and they don't care they I can't afford either.
I guess I am just going to hope the digital tv does not go out during bad weather.
If inflation is negative then why have cable prices gone up? If I want to get a t and t u-verse I must also pay $35 for my internet.
I am begginning to feel like the UNited States is catering more to the very few;those who are rich and have a lot money.
I am sick of iT!!!!!

At least you have some options. Where i live it's TWC or nothing, unless you opt for DirecTV.

A "luxury" apartment for $700? I'd take that any day. $700 here might get you a luxury cardboard box.

So.California sucks...haha.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I too have Time Warner Cable, TV basic, internet, and phone with free long distance. Cost $148 a month. I just saw today on TV they are running a deal for new customers, $100 cheaper for these services than I pay. Perhaps we should all take our TVs to their corporate office and throw them in the lawn. Think perhaps they would get the picture?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Affluent get cheaper rates on internet/cable/telephone because they pay their bills on a regular basis (ie predictable). Risk vs Reward. Same reason they get better credit. They have better infrastructure because they pay more taxes. Some buy extra packages just because, so it's a benefit to offer lesser prices to those who can afford more. It's that simple.

Poor areas cost more to maintain.
Yep. It's that simple.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I don't live in a poor area but I am poor to lower middle class. I always pay my bills on time yet I think the rich should pay more for services.
They wanted $450 just for a non refundable deposit for a t and t uverse. ABSURD!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

This is probably what is happening in these "exclusive" areas. They probably are very hard working people with little time for Cable TV. The Cable company has to offer them a great deal in order for them to accept their services.

I used to work for Verizon, and I can tell you that this is EXACTLY what happens.

The Housing Association meets with reps from the cable companies, and basically pits them against each other in a bidding war. It's guaranteed exclusivity, and guaranteed customers who can afford to pay.

new topics

top topics

join