It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Berlin rejects Greek request for 'War Reparations'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
macedoniaonline.eu...

Germany rejected accusations by Greek Deputy Prime Minister Theodoros Pangalos, who said Berlin has failed to compensate Athens properly for the Nazi occupation during World War II.

The German Foreign Ministry says Berlin has provided Athens with aid amounting to billions of euros. In an interview with BBC World Service, Pangalos criticised Germany's attitude towards Greece's current financial crisis, saying that Athens has never received adequate compensation for the consequences of the Nazi invasion of 1941.

Pangalos added that after the occupation, Greece's gold and foreign currency reserves were seized by troops and never returned. In response, German Foreign Ministry spokesman Andreas Peschke said that raising issues from the past would not help Athens deal with its current problems.

So I guess this is Greeces' brilliant idea of how to get quick cash. It seems rather lazy and counter-productive to me.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I hope their embarrassed, If there situation wasn't thought to be dire before it clearly is now. Can't be confidence inspiring for it's citizens either. Better hurry and cash that govie check quick. Good find!

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The German occupation resulted in some half a million Greek deaths. 300,000 from starvation, thousands executed, and Jews were sent to extermination camps. Considering the population was only a few million back then, it was significant. And that is just the population toll. The toll on assets from the war with Italy, Germany and Bulgaria, in addition to the looting was significant. "Billions of euros" is what...a few thousand per person?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Have to agree with you. Seems like they are just whining because their government policies have left them broke. They may have had a case if they had been broke since WW2, but that is just not the case. Seems like those poor Greeks are up shoot creek without a paddle. Consequences to your bad choices are a bitch.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'll bet the germans have repaid it all by now anyway, by beating every other european to the sun loungers beside the pool bar for the past 40 years.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hahaha trust the Greeks to bring this up, it ain't gonna work the past is the past and they should focus on their present situation which is threatening to collapse the Eurozone.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I love it the Germans have really changed right. They want power they can smell it if I was you guys I would keep a very close eye on them especially when the sh*t hits the fan. They usually like to fight there way back to the top if you get my drift. It is interesting Japan also wants the US military out of the country Hmm. What are the odds it could happen again?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

The chances are extremely low. But if Germany has serious riots and maybe a revolution or overthrow of their government, that is when I will be afraid. Germans are known for their extremism in the times of challenge they usually explode into chaos. It is a tendency for many mainland central European nations throughout time to dramatically shift into a dangerous position when there is alot of problems. All it might take is a serious down turn in the economy that brings Germany to its' knees and we might see our next evil power.

Note: I am not talking bad about the average German person, but many of your people have a tendency for extremism. I myself am a mix of 3 radical countries; German, Hundarian, Russian.

[edit on 2/26/10 by Misoir]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

What Germans are you talking about?

Germans are the same lethargic apathic German-idol watching sheeplelike in the US, only with more obedience and less reflexion.

No one is going to revolt here even if someone was #ing on their lunch while theyre watching.

Trust me, lived here all my life

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well i think the greeks should be more worried about EU dragging them to court, for lying and fiddle with their economy...

new topics

top topics

join