It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA scientists/physicians make a plea to Obama for help in fighting corruption in within FDA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

FDA scientists/physicians make a plea to Obama for help in fighting corruption within FDA

finance.senate.gov

Dear Mr. President:

The purpose of this letter is to draw your attention to the frustration and outrage that FDA physicians and scientists, public advocacy groups, the press, and the American people, have repeatedly expressed over the misdeeds of FDA officials.

" . . . sweeping measures are needed to end the systemic
corruption and wrongdoing that permeates all levels of FDA and has plagued the Agency far too long.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-2-2010 by NightGypsy]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I came across this letter on the Senate Finance Committee's website. It's written collectively by a group of scientists and physicians employed by the FDA who are requesting Obama to address the issue of corruption within their agency.

Though the letter addresses a specific issue dealing with their disapproval of the marketing of a knee implant device that carried health risks, the underlying message is more disturbing. It confirms that corruption is deeply entrenched within the FDA, particularly at the management level, and details their frustration over lack of action that has been taken to address it despite their many requests via a number of avenues.

It names specific people who have engaged in unethical practices and who have taken retaliatory actions against employees who have tried to blow the whistle. It points out this activity has been an ongoing, unresolved problem for quite some time.

This isn't anything we didn't already know, but I think it's reassuring to know there are those within our government who have not fallen prey to corruption, who have integrity and a desire to make positive strides in medical technology. Some of them are still fighting the good fight. Whenever possible, I think we should acknowledge their efforts and offer our support. We all know the damage that can be done to the careers of these medical professionals who have dissenting viewpoints.

The letter is dated in April, so it would be interesting to know what, if any, action was taken by the Obama administration in response to this compelling letter. I'll see if I can find anything in this regard.

finance.senate.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I applaud anyone willing to stand up to FDA corruption and the manipulation of information especially anyone on the inside of that lie encrusted cabal.

It's times like these I feel bad for the legitimate scientists and physicians involved in an industry that is working entirely against their main purpose and goal; which is the safety and betterment of the public.

I have zero faith that any processes would be changed, but there may be lip service about "sweeping new regulations" to fight corruption. Then of course they'll just mop the floor with the dissenters, make an example out of them and parade their unemployed, blacklisted bodies in the streets for the next group of researchers that want to believe safety comes before profit.

*sigh*.... I need a drink.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This is one of those areas that the American people should absolutely refuse to tolerate any longer. It is, and has been clear for a very long time, that the FDA is corrupt, and can be bought by drug companies.

I think they have been given so much authority, and their work is so esoteric, it is easy to cover-up multiple misdeeds. When people start dying, it suddenly becomes the issue of the drug company, with little attention being paid to the fact that these drugs were approved by the FDA, who often knew clinical studies were inadequate, and didn't meet federal guidelines for distribution.

Why would they do this? Place large members of the population at risk of horrible and even lethal side effects from medications? Need I say kick-backs? What else could be the reason.

At this point I would like to see the entire thing disbanned, and put back together with an entirely different staff. One that has integrity, and that is competent to handle this very complicated yet urgently important area.

It's not just medication, either. Food substances have been allowed into the country without sufficient testing and monitoring.

I hope this thread will open the eyes of ATS members, who might be unaware of the corruption and incompetency within the FDA. S&F

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeBrew

*sigh*.... I need a drink.

LOL...

Probably a safer choice, as opposed to the tranquilizer with the "FDA approval."

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Ladyinwaiting,

I absolutely agree with everything you said. I tend to see something a bit more sinister in the collusion between Big Pharma and the FDA, however.

I think it serves not only to keep Americans sick so they can profit, but it's a discreet tool they use to keep the population at an acceptable level for TPTB. When you look at the influence that the Rockefeller money has had in medical research and schooling, then you listen to David Rockefeller speak about how the population is out of control with an implication that too many of us are infringing upon his future happiness, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Certainly --- whether they are keeping us sick, or not, is suspect, but nothing we can prove. What is provable, is that in fact they do have clinical studies submitted for a new drug, and rather than have the pharmaceutical companies go through the requirements, they give the go-ahead to market the drug.

Examples of this can be found on the Net. GlaxcoKlineWelcome now has people dying from heart attacks with, I think, Avandia. A few years ago this same company marketed a drug with a horrible and damaging withdrawal syndrome. It was then called GlaxcoSmithKline.

When I researched the drug, the clinical studies were completed at approximately 50% of what was "required". For example, if they were to administer the drug for eight months to 80 people, they tested the drug for four months, on 40 people, in a third world country. The withdrawal syndrome began at around six months, so if the clinical study had been done properly, (and enforced) they would have known about the withdrawal syndrome.

But even with the shoddy study, they were still given the FDA "seal of approval", and marketed the drug. The drug is still out there, but of course now the syndrome is identified on the packaging.

It's Russian Roulette with most of these companies. I'm cautious of any new drug now, that is placed on the market. The Market, unfortunately is where the "clinical trial" is taking place.

My thoughts now....anytime you can opt for an older drug that's been on the market for a while, take it. You really don't know what you are getting with the newer ones.

How to stop this? Any suggestions? Maybe a task force should be appointed to investigate what's going on with the FDA, and who is responsible. It's not just important. It's urgent. People are dying every day from medications.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

physicians employed by the FDA who are requesting Obama to address the issue of corruption within their agency.

So the corrupt FDA is asking the corrupt Obama administration to help fight curruption? Sounds like the wrong approach!

And Ladyinwaiting:

anytime you can opt for an older drug that's been on the market for a while, take it. You really don't know what you are getting with the newer ones. How to stop this? Any suggestions?

As a drug prescriber, my suggestions:

-Do research yourself as a patient. The internet is your friend, Google the drug and read.

-Ask your doctor about the drug's record and request drugs with a long record of safety. There are safe drugs and risky drugs, ask the doc, he/she will probably be glad you asked!

-don't take drug unless you REALLy need it. We tend to way overprescribe! Eg. antibiotics are sent home for everything! This cannot continue due to AB resistance.

[edit on 24/2/10 by plumranch]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I definitely think something needs to be done about FDA corruption, but I hardly think asking one of the most corrupt Presidents ever to do anything about it is just a waste of time and effort.

Although the government has immunized itself from being sued, I am sure that that there is a way around that and they can be sued. The problem is finding someone that would do the massive research that would be required. If the key could ever be found, a huge class action suit against the FDA would be in order!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Well ... this happened just a few weeks ago:

FDA clears Drug Chief of Conflict of Interest

It seems that everyone mentioned in that letter is still doing what they were doing for the FDA ... sure, it has only been a year, so lets wait and see what the Obama admin does ... but this latest verdict does not bode well for them keeping the reigns on the corruption in the FDA.

[edit on 24/2/10 by Horza]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

So the corrupt FDA is asking the corrupt Obama administration to help fight curruption? Sounds like the wrong approach!

LOL, no argument there. I suppose it's an exercise in futility. But I can't see what choice they have but to go to the top if they're not getting any satisfaction. I was also surprised to see that letter posted publicly on a government website. I wonder if that's typical protocol or if someone was trying to stir things up a bit. There's nothing accompanying the letter to give any indication.

I appreciate the comments you posted from the standpoint of a professional in the field.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Good catch! S&F.

'Bout time - hope it works. (Bump.)

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

LOL, no argument there. I suppose it's an exercise in futility.

I'm sorry, I've been at this too long. The idea that you can change a thoroughly entrenched beaurocracy like the FDA with a court challenge? Or that the well known as corrupt Obama administration would step in and save the day? OMG! Hehe!

Well... obviously, government is not the solution, my friend!

People can solve their own problems with medicine, but it takes personal initiative and problem solving skills. Please don't think you can or should depend on your doctor 100% and esp. not your government!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The government is starting to stink like a big turd and needs a flushing. It's like one of those portable toilets you see at carnivals that have been there in the heat of the summer with no cleaning. Just nasty as hell. Sounds like things need to be cleaned up.

new topics

top topics

join