It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SeaWorld trainer killed by killer whale

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

(CNN) -- A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld in Orlando, Florida, a spokesman for the Orange County Fire Department told CNN.

The spokesman, John Mulhall, said the trainer was pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident did not occur during a performance, said a spokeswoman for SeaWorld, who added that more information was to be released soon.

SOURCE: www.cnn.com...

While tragic, this was long overdue. If you mess with fire, you will eventually get burned...or in this case, if you mess with a killer whale, you will eventually get killed.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
My heart goes out to the friends and family of the victem, but aye this stuff happens. Especailly with large animals that dont essentialy enjoy living and performing in captivity. Sea world doesnt susprise me though, ive heard stories about that place from my sister whislt she was doing animal care. One of her tutors used to work there and they spend the funding on the staff instead of some of the animals and because of that they lost i think it was the sea turtles.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The last time this happened the whale fell on some dude after jumping out of the water to grab a hula-hoop or something.

Peace

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well, I can't really say I'm surprised. Orcas or aggressive and dangerous. Sure they are clever creatures but I wouldn't trust them to not turn on you. My condolences to the family and my sincerest hopes that the whale doesn't have to die too.

Now that I've stated my opinion how about something to brighten someone's day.

Now this is a good time for a killer whale. Can't do stuff like this in captivity can ya?

[edit on 24-2-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

That was an awesome video!!!!!

Although if I were in the boat, I would have been kinda nervous when the orcas were obviously noticing where that penguin went....

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
They're wild animals. ...and very intelligent. They can't possibly be happy about being in captivity...

I suspect that this is going to be a tragic accident. Then again...maybe it's wasn't.

When a bear, or other animal attacks humans they're destroyed...this Orca, does it get destroyed, too?

Orca's are large predators, and no amount of Disneyfication will change that. Hassle at your own peril.

...and that was one lucky, and smart, penguin. Bit of a smart ass, too.

[edit on 2/24/2010 by seagull]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I just really hope they don't decide that the whale is now dangerous and kill it.

It is unfortunate when things like this happen...but there is a known risk involved I guess when you take that type of job.

My condolences to the family of the trainer...and I really hope the killer whale doesn't pay with it's life for being a killer whale.

Cool vid of the penguin though...but I would also be nervous thinking the whales would be attacking the boat for the penguin. Sorry Mr. penguin...I might of thrown you back in if I was in that boat.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
We can probably expect to see more and more of these animals gone wild incidents if the Earth's magnetic poles are changing in preparation for 2012.

Time to start the tally.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

It's sad they will likely destroy this animal for failing to restrain its own nature.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I really hope you're wrong...

The more intelligent the animal, the more likely, it seems to me, that it'll strike out at it's keepers.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Or maybe it went violent because its a freaking KILLER WHALLLEE
or no, that would be to convienient -_-"

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
How awful! In the article it did say that this particular whale was not used to being with a trainer and was 30 years old. So, i'm guessing that maybe the whale was frightened and thought it was protecting itself.....I'm really not sure though. I hope this whale does not have to pay for this with his life

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz
reply to post by Alxandro

Or maybe it went violent because its a freaking KILLER WHALLLEE
or no, that would be to convienient -_-"

Given the number of killer whale that are kept and have been kept in captivity over the years, you would think the number that have gone "voilent" would be a lot higher.
Guess what? ...it's not.

This type of incident is rare, even for killer whallleee.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Those type of animals need to be free, just let them go and not capture any more of then. Sanctuary yes, perhaps to rebuild their gene pool, but let them go.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Dolphins and whales should not be kept in captivity. To intelligent and need to much space for any aquarium. The animals gets frustrated.
Free Willy!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I just heard an update on the radio. They said that this occurred during a live show (which conflicts the CNN article in the OP) and that the trainer was out of the pool and the whale grabbed the trainer by the waist and pulled the trainer in. The cause of death was determined to be drowning.

Here is an update from CNN as well:

(CNN) -- A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Florida, a public information officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

The woman, 40, was in the whale holding area about 2 p.m. when "she apparently slipped or fell into the tank and was fatally injured by one of the whales," Jim Solomons said.

But a witness told CNN affiliate WKMG-TV that the whale approached the glass side of the 35-foot-deep tank at Shamu Stadium, jumped up and grabbed the trainer by the waist, shaking her so violently that her shoe came off.

WKMG: Killer whale kills trainer

A SeaWorld employee who asked not to be identified confirmed the description of the attack and added that the whale involved is named Tillikum.

SeaWorld uses "Shamu" as a stage name for any of the male or female orcas in its shows.

"One of our most experienced animal trainers drowned" in the accident, said Dan Brown, vice president and general manager of SeaWorld Orlando. He said an investigation will be carried out.

"We'll make our findings known in due course," he said. "We've never in the history of our parks experienced an incident like this. All standard operating procedures will be reviewed." He would not elaborate.

"Please bear with us; we've just lost a member of our family," he said.

A patron who did not witness the event said the park refunded her entry fee, although a spokeswoman said the park remained open.

Guest David Dalton told CNN affiliate WFTV, "All of a sudden, out of nowhere, two of the bigger whales just kind of flipped out, going as fast as they could in the water."

A spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called the death "a tragedy that didn't have to happen."

Jaime Zalac said the organization had called on SeaWorld "to stop confining oceangoing mammals to an area that to them is like the size of a bathtub, and we have also been asking the park to stop forcing the animals to perform silly tricks over and over again. It's not surprising when these huge, smart animals lash out."

In 2006, a trainer at the adventure park was hospitalized after a killer whale grabbed him and twice held him underwater during a show at Shamu Stadium.

In 1999, Tillikum was blamed for the death of a 27-year-old man whose body was found floating on his back in a tank at SeaWorld, the apparent victim of a whale's "horseplay," authorities said then.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said the man apparently hid in the park until after it closed and then climbed into the tank.

The 11,000-pound, 22-foot-long whale was "not accustomed to people being in his tank" and "wouldn't have realized he was dealing with a very fragile human being," Solomons said at the time.

"He may have been a victim of what a whale would call horseplay, just playing around," Solomons said.

SOURCE: www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I've been to both Sea Worlds - once each - and the first thing that always comes to mind is.....wow, they really don't have much space. Granted, the tanks are impressively large, but really not big enough when you consider how big those whales are. I left, both times, elated that I got to see such amazing creatures up close, but saddened that they are living a life of captivity in such a confined space.

My two cents....unless they are part of a rehabilitation program, they shouldn't be in captivity AT ALL. But people need to understand that intelligent beings in the animal kingdom are just as unique with personalities as their human counterparts. Some will be kind, some will be laid back, some will be funny, some will be stubborn, some will be eager to please, and some will frankly be psychologically damaged or predisposed to outbursts of anger or violence.

It is my belief that this particular whale needs to be released back into the wild, or put down if he cannot be reacquainted with living on his own. He has been involved in the deaths of TWO trainers now, and several other non-fatal incidents. He has been used as a "bull" for breeding purposes, but why breed those traits? It doesn't make sense. Not all of the whales in captivity are notorious for this kind of behavior. Trainers have their favorites, too, just like we've all had our favorite pets over the years. But the issue is....they aren't dogs.

Someone needs to build an oceanfront facility, with massive channels going into and out of the holding tanks leading directly to the ocean, and have it's function be solely geared towards training these animals to live on their own again. If nothing else, then this needs to be implemented for emergencies in the case of natural disaster. These water parks have no rapid evacuation in place for the larger animals should something happen, and that is a scary thought.

I say ENOUGH of the money-making machine that keeps these creatures in never-ending captivity while learning "tricks" to entertain the masses, and completely change the facilities into rehabilitation zones. Education was always more intriguing to me than seeing a routine being played out to upbeat music. Why do humans constantly feel the need to make these animals more human and behave in a way that suits us? Why can't we observe them in their natural behaviors and let them be who they are, and allow US to learn how to think like a whale? To me, this boils down to a respect issue.

I don't think any human would be content to be captive to an owner who rewards us every time we do what they want, with everything except real freedom...oh wait...well, never mind, that opens up a whole other can of worms, doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well I started my own thread on this one but I didnt see this one... Do you think they will put this animal to sleep? I mean that is what they do to other man killing animals... It is a shame but animals like this are not meant to be behind a glass prison and now he is stamped a man killer.... too sad

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I say good riddance. They know what this animal is about and then devout there lives to making it do circus tricks for money. I hope all of the trainers see the exact same fate. Some animals are not meant to be used this way it is not a dog or cat. Hopefully this is not a singular case.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by emeraldzeus

I agree, Tillikum needs to be released back into the wild. He has killed two people now. People should protest if he isn't put back in the ocean. Some of those killer whales won't survive in the wild. Keiko (Willy) didn't survive when he was released to the wild. Trainers take a chance with their lives with these animals.

That penguin video was awesome. He was a clever one. Good thing the orcas didn't tip over the boat because they would have had a feast of humans. We would have never seen that video if they chose the later.

I was watching this special on Air_Jaws. The filming crew said they saw a seal do the same thing as the penquin The seal tried to get into the boat but it was too high. It kept hitting the sides and eventually tired out. I bet it was eaten eventually. The boat was large enough so the sharks could not tip it over. The one thing that worried the crew was they were affraid one of the great whites might land in their boat when it went for a seal in close proximity.

<<   2 >>

join