It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong in Texas, in the USA?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

Dinosaurs and humans coexisted ... Stupid.
The world is 6000 years old ... Delusional.
Noah's Arc ... really? You're taking this crap serious ?

Didn't say I believed any of this, nor took it seriously... Infact, I asked quite the opposite... Why is it bothering YOU so much? If someone wants to believe the world was created in it's current form 6000 yrs. ago, who is it hurting? I'm able to live my life quite nicely thank you...

Dinosaurs and Man coexisted? No...but who is it hurting if a small minority of folks believe that? Again, it's not hurting me in the slightest...

Noah's Ark? Don't care in the slightest if some folks want to take this as, pardon the pun, it's irresistible; gospel. It effects my day to day life not in the slightest.

Seriously...why are you so up in arms over this? You're the one taking it far more seriously than it needs to be.

...and yes, I believe in God. Do I believe that he answers only the prayers of believers, and sinners are doomed to Hell? Nope. God is, in my view, rather a hands off sort of guy. He laid out the ingredients for the Universe and everything in it, then walked out of the kitchen...to await results. He waits on the other side of this life, in whatever is there awaiting us. Heaven? Don't know... Hell? Seems unlikely... Another life? That'd be cool, I kinda like life, and would not like to think that this is the only one I get...

Do I care whether you share that belief? Not in the slightest...you are welcome to believe, or disbelieve, as you choose. God, in my view, doesn't care either...he's much bigger than that. Or maybe it's she... Could it be both? Meh, another thread.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I think it was I who was originally 'up in arms' and bothered by this story, when I heard about it.

I understand where you're coming from, and oddly enough, can see myself sharing your philosophy, at least as much as what you wrote. Assuming I interpreted it correctly.

Me, I've always felt if anything it was a "hands off" (or whatever appendages apply) approach too. That's if we wish to attribute the entire Universe to some entity or entities being ultimate responsible, in the first place.

But, that is so far beyond our ken....I always say trying to understand all that complexity is like trying to teach calculus to a cat. In a way (if you are one of those people who consider cats arrogant --- that is the stereotype for them, after all) we are a bit analagous to cats. As a species we're arrogant, conceited, and selfish. BUT, like cats, we also have a great capacity for love and compassion.

>have to edit in here...hotel computer boots you off every 30 minutes...<

Where was I?

Oh, yeah. "Live and let live" --- "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" --- love, compassion, RESPECT! for all others. Those are ideals, and would exist if we Humans were fully enlightened.

But, instead of being like cats (not that they understand any of this) right now we're kinda like the kids on the playground, and we have a lot of bullies milling about...and there are loaded guns lying about everywhere. With only a thin veneer keeping complete chaos from breaking out.

Now, this is where it gets interesting. Many will argue (and often correctly) that religious institutions provide a mitigating effect, that they help provide that veneer. True, but unfortunately not in all cases, because those pesky, treacherous individuals that pop up every so often find ways to mis-use the perception that religions can have, to hold sway over others, in that egotistical, selfish way that is characteristic of our species. (This could apply to forms of Gov't as well...)

What disturbs me (and others) is when a religious devotion turns "blind" to rational thought, and scientific understanding --- and instead favors myth and non-sensical dogmatic devotion.

That is what is so dangerous about organized religions, IMO.

[edit on 5 March 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

You understood perfectly.

God is above our petty, and extraordinarily limited, grasp. To truly understand what/who he/she is, we must become him/her...and that, sadly enough, seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. I rest satisfied that God exists...that's faith. I feel no screaming urge to proselytize...though I'm coming perilously close right now...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million
reply to post by nophun

Take your false foolish argument to the Red Dog Saloon in rural Texas.
Or just admit you don't have the wit or herms to.

I love internet tough guys

Well played Donny, you have scared me to the point that I will believe in a god.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Didn't say I believed any of this, nor took it seriously... Infact, I asked quite the opposite... Why is it bothering YOU so much? If someone wants to believe the world was created in it's current form 6000 yrs. ago, who is it hurting? I'm able to live my life quite nicely thank you...

I never said what you believe.
I was answering your question not attacking you in anyway. It is not some super small minority that believes those things. I big percent of the world has there own myths of faith.

My post was showed .. very clearly if I told half the stories in the bible were truth but removed God and Jesus, That would be child abuse .. not many people would argue this.

Have you read the bible ? it is not some magic carpet ride of rainbow and happiness. This does not stop kids from being told it is fact.

Oh ya then there is all this ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d6c22d7ff57c.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c15380dc99b.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e293e083741.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c33ceb19b027.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac3050327b4b.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc2209d945dd.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2204cc7ce24b.jpg[/atsimg]

No big deal.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Extremists of any sort are capable of monstrous acts. No one denies that...

What, however, does your average run of the mill believer do? He or she goes to work, raises their children as best they can, and essentially lives a quiet life. No crusades. No flying planes into buildings. No holding signs preaching hatred.

For every one of those, there is another who lives as the Good Lord intended... He or she volunteers at a church helping those less fortunate... or perhaps helps repair a house of God... or any number of things that go unnoticed save by God.

You're right, no big deal. They're merely living their lives, for themselves and their ideal of God. I submit there is really nothing wrong here.

We've reached the point where we agree to disagree. I'll not convince you, nor will you convince me. We shake hands, and argue again someday, probably soon.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Good Lord intended

Are we speaking of the "LORD" here ? If so he intended that you throw rock at people for not believing in his BS
(till said person is dead obviously)

It is pretty god damn extreme to believe the world humans and dinosaur walk the earth together ..

How close is someone believing bombing a abortion clinic in the name of god to extreme ? How about all the wars around the world caused by belief ? every terrorist attack from Muslims .. Really I can go on and on.

All that (and much much more) would be gone .. but some people need to believe in ... old books full of far fetched stories ?

I will not argue this point anymore. Whatever I say you will just say some "extremists" did it. While I point out there is no need for God.

These articles of faith are a cancer to humanity .. It is really that simple.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Extremists learn their beliefs from moderates. No more moderates, no more extremists. Perfect.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by Donny 4 million

What would that prove? Just because you can make threats or whatever that was supposed to be doesn't change the fact that his argument is scientifically sound, while yours doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Would you please quote what arguement that is?
Who ever is the person with that arguement would be helpful as well.
Do you possess the capability to do that?
And what's with the threat crap?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

It's clear that the argument is Creationism vs. Evolution since that's what the topic's about and what we've been arguing with you about for the past few days. I believe the comment was directed a david, but I'd need to go back and check. And as for the threat you were implying that if he went down to Texas and made these claims he would get his ass kicked. I thought it was all pretty obvious.

EDIT: Sorry it was nophun you made the comment to. You realize you can click the link where it says your name in my post and it will bring you to the post I was responding to.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Xcalibur254]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

What is dangerous wacker is scientific Communist trash that was responsible for the Russian people to have their freedom of religion stripped from them like the skins off slaughtered pigs.
IMO this is what you attempt to promote by starting threads like this and showing your utter disdain for the freedom of American citizens who's fore fathers and mothers cousins and uncles have fought tooth and nail to maintain. I find it hard to imagine that you have any of this in your background but the Communism.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. I'm assuming it has something to do with eugenics, which is separate from the theory of evolution. Even though the theory of eugenics was created by Darwin's cousin it was never really accepted by the scientific community after his death. He did however introduce many methods and measures that are still employed by psychology.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

It's clear that the argument is Creationism vs. Evolution since that's what the topic's about and what we've been arguing with you about for the past few days. I believe the comment was directed a david, but I'd need to go back and check. And as for the threat you were implying that if he went down to Texas and made these claims he would get his ass kicked. I thought it was all pretty obvious.

EDIT: Sorry it was nophun you made the comment to. You realize you can click the link where it says your name in my post and it will bring you to the post I was responding to.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Xcalibur254]

There is always a butinxki. But I welcome your interest.
I have never typed the word Creationism ever in my life go back and check.
When you find the you are barking up an empty tree come on back and learn how to be honest.
Interesting you thought that guy would get his ass kicked . How did you formulate that opinion?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. I'm assuming it has something to do with eugenics, which is separate from the theory of evolution. Even though the theory of eugenics was created by Darwin's cousin it was never really accepted by the scientific community after his death. He did however introduce many methods and measures that are still employed by psychology.

If you are not SURE go back and think.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

The bible was written by Jews far far away from Texas.
What does your science say about that?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The Bible was written by Christians. The Old Testament was originally written by Jews. And just because science shows problems with the Bible, does not make it Anti-Semitic. There are many scientists who are follow and Abrahamic religion and still support evolution. Are they also Anti-Semitic?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

The Bible was written by Christians. The Old Testament was originally written by Jews. And just because science shows problems with the Bible, does not make it Anti-Semitic. There are many scientists who are follow and Abrahamic religion and still support evolution. Are they also Anti-Semitic?

Please pull your head out.
And let there be light is freekin totally Hebrew

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Which is part of the Old Testament However, the whole part with Jesus, that whole part that distinguishes the Bible from the Torah, was written by Christians.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

If you can't handle the education I am giving you just let one of your cronies that are out lickin their wounds jump right back in and divert our nice little comfy conversation.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Which is part of the Old Testament However, the whole part with Jesus, that whole part that distinguishes the Bible from the Torah, was written by Christians.

There is no freekin HOWEVER except in a mental institution when it comes to Genises being Christian.
Fraud

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join