It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CPAC Conference Dissolves Into Right-Wing Civil War Over Gay Rights

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
thinkprogress.org

Late last year, the pro-gay rights Republican organization GOProud announced that it would co-sponsor the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), prompting a right-wing backlash which forced conference organizers to deny the organization a speaking spot during the conference. Today, Alexander McCobin, a member of Students for Liberty, an offshoot of the Rep. Ron Paul’s (R-TX) Campaign for Liberty, took part of his speaking time to thank conference organizers for allowing GOProud to co-sponsor the conference, noting that Students for Liberty asks its members to be “socially tolerant and fiscally responsible.” McCobin was immediately met with angry boos and heckling by the audience:

MCCOBIN: In the name of freedom, I would like to also thank the American Conservative Union for welcoming GOProud as a co-sponsor of this event. (loud boos) Not because of any politics, but because of the message that it sends: If what you truly care about is freedom, limited government, and prosperity, then this symbol is a step in the right direction, and look to the student movement for support! (heckling) The typical Student’s response is to be socially tolerant and fiscally responsible. Students today recognize that freedom does not come in pieces. It is a single concept that we must defend at all times.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks like GOProud didn't get much for its financial and moral support.

Ron Paul and the Students for Liberty are right. Denying any group its fundamental civil rights is in direct opposition to the stated goals and purposes of the GOP and of conservative activists.

Conservatives have a choice. Try to court the more ignorant and intolerant among us or step up to the plate in defense of gay rights.

The Whigs (forerunners of the GOP) were once in favor of the abolition of slavery and put up Abraham Lincoln as their candidate for president.

They've done a 360 in the 20th and 21st centuries on the subject of civil rights.

It's time for the GOP to go back to its roots.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Good for the GOP

Atleast that section of the GOP anyway.

It's amazing how people will boo and heckle people over the simple issue of Gay Rights.

Just goes to show how the Media and the government have polarized the issue beyond repair.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I watched Ryan Sorba's little tantrum in disbelief. I know the audience seemed split over his message, some booing and some applauding.

These guys need to figure out whether they support equal rights for all people or not. To his credit, Ron Paul was a star.

This "war" of gay rights is not pretty and unfortunately, I don't think it's going to clean up very soon...

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Can someone please name one right that normal people have that gays do not have?

Just one.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

In most places, the right to marry. The right to their partner's Social Security when the partner dies. In many places the right to be covered on their significant others' health insurance. The right to make medical decisions in the event of a life-threatening illness, and sometimes even the right to be in the ICU with their partner.

And many more.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

A gay man or woman has the same right to marry a person of the opposite sex as a straight person does.

NEXT.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

If you are married and get sick your spouse has the right to speak for you in life threatening situation .

If this is a gay couple the significant other has no leagal basis for treatment of their loved one the it has to come from a relative next of kin .

In a marriage when one dies the other is has a legal claim to all assets . And can make funeral arraignments

Non of these can be done in a same sex relationship . All assets revert to siblings or parents and funeral arrangements will revert to next of kin .

also the death benefits from retirement or ss do not transfer to same sex spouses .

Many places the insurance for families can not be used for same sex couples .

Many places financial arrangements common to married couples is not available to same sex couples . Sharing a note for home or car shared bank accounts.

And of course they cant marry . But maybe we should institute a civil partnership for same sex couples or other couples who wish to be together and skip the traditional marriage ceremony and leave marriage laws intact

I do not like the gay life style and lean to it is wrong . Regardless of that the civil treatment of them is morally WRONG !

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
reply to post by Sestias

A gay man or woman has the same right to marry a person of the opposite sex as a straight person does.

NEXT.

That's a nice wittycism there but it doesn't change the fact that you have the right to marry who you love while a gay person doesn't in many places.

Also, as others have pointed out, it's not only about marriage.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Sestias

NEXT.

That's a really lame argument. How are you, or anybody else for that matter qualified to tell me who I am suppose to mary?

Why does love between two people of the same sex, different from the love between two people of the opposite sex?

And there are MANY rights which are not afforded to same sex couples my friend.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Sestias

NEXT.

Like heterosexual men and women who are attracted to each other, gays wish to also marry adults who they are attracted to. It has nothing to do with present rights, but a right that is seen as equal to the right of heterosexual marriage. A right that is currently being denied to them.

Many would simply be happy with the right of a civil union. Which would give them all the legal rights of marriage, but not the religious recognition of such unions.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You sure this was at CPAC? I see the civil war occurring right here on ATS.

Really the constitution is all I have to say. Equal rights are something that I believe firmly in no matter what the issue. Call their marriage anything you want, heterosexuals can call theirs whatever but both should have equal rights. It's actually silly to me to preserve the English name of "marriage" for only heterosexual couples. If we lived in a different country and said a different word to describe marriage would it matter?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I get it.

This is not about equal rights. It's about special rights.

If you live in one state you cannot vote in another. This is true for everyone. Should we change this rule because of one's sexuality?

This is like saying "I'm gay, so I should be able to vote in 2 states." Much like they are saying "I'm gay, so I should be able to marry a man or a woman."

It's one or the other......unless you want a special right to do both.

Get it?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Sestias

NEXT.

Not to be trite.. there's enough of that going around... but what does marriage have to do with sex anyway?

Besides marriage has no place in government. It's a religious thing. Convert every marriage to a civil union defined as a finance and property sharing agreement between induviduals.. That's my opinion at least

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I get it.

If you live in one state you cannot vote in another. This is true for everyone. Should we change this rule because of one's sexuality?

This is like saying "I'm gay, so I should be able to vote in 2 states." Much like they are saying "I'm gay, so I should be able to marry a man or a woman."

Get it?

What a straw man argument!

Really? Is that the best you have friend?

No it's not the same than being able to vote in two states, that reasoning is deeply flawed.

It's not special rights, it's equal rights. If I can't get married to the one I love and somebody else can, and the only reason is my sexual orientation, than that is discriminatory.

Please tell me what is the big problem? How does two people getting married affect you? If you aren't gay, this should not matter to you.

So please, come up with a better argument.

~Keeper

[edit on 2/20/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The squabbling over civil rights should end either CPAC is for or against civil rights . All humans in America should be able to receive the same civil rights under the law . Civil rights should be a given not open for debate in any US political party .

Republicans could do good in the next election cycle if they focused on the the core values they were created under . Fiscal responsibility, scorning elitism and championing civil rights . They have lost their way since the 1850s ish when they split from the whig party .

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I get it.

Get it?

Seriously? You think that marriage is the right to share property with someone of a differant gender? Marriage in your world view has nothing to do with love or spending a life together, it's *only* about sexual organs? So does that mean women cannot get married if they have a historectomy?

Or maybe it has to do with genetics? X and Y chromosomes? What about those wierd cases when a person has XXY? Do they not get to marry?

This has nothing to do with "special rights", this has to do with the definition of words.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I wonder...if a party...be it a existing one or a brand new one, came out as fiscally conservative and socially extremely liberal, if such a party would ever lose an election.

Why isn't there a party like that? That is the face of most Americans...stop spending soo much damned money, dont tax the crap out of me, and keep moral beliefs out of politics...thats my decision, not yours.

Why is it either you are liberal all the way, or conservative all the way....freaking ghey!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Oh, and quick comment on the marriage thing...

Marriage...is a religious union and has no part in government...its a church function.
If the states wish to observe civil unions, great...make it equal and blind to sex...let the church of choice call it whatever they want...be it marriage, or blood bonding, or snookie snookie fu fu...

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I wonder...if a party...be it a existing one or a brand new one, came out as fiscally conservative and socially extremely liberal, if such a party would ever lose an election.

Why isn't there a party like that? That is the face of most Americans...stop spending soo much damned money, dont tax the crap out of me, and keep moral beliefs out of politics...thats my decision, not yours.

Why is it either you are liberal all the way, or conservative all the way....freaking ghey!

Hear! Hear! Small, efficient government that protects life, liberty, and the pursuit of happines. Leave the rest to us average joes to work out. True, without the complicated system of laws in place, there would likely have been more armed revolts by now, but a little regurgitation now and again is a good thing!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Can someone please name one right that normal people have that gays do not have?

Just one.

Gay people can't be normal?

Don't look now, but your prejudice is showing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join