It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone seen how odd the moon looks?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Yes it is normal --

Such a thin crescent is always relatively low on the horizon because it sets so soon after sunset (thin waxing crescents are ALWAYS close behind the Sun in the sky).

Therefore, as I explained in my earlier post, the lit part will always be in the direction of the Sun (obviously), and the Sun is just below the horizon, having set only about 2 1/2 hours earlier than this particular phase of the Moon sets (called a "young moon")...

...so that means that the crescent will be on the bottom facing the Sun, which is below the horizon.

It's all pretty obvious when you think about where the Sun is relative to the Moon.

[edit on 2/18/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yea it's a waxing crescent, and it looks like a smiley face. But I think it just looks cool. I can see it right now in Iowa...

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

Last night 2/17/2010 I was driving north on I-75 in GA and I saw same thing, my buddy at the time was driving on I-95 North in Florida -he saw the moon smile as well.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The smiley face moon, boat moon, bowl moon, Cheshire moon is only seen by a viewer on the equator. This is a scientific astronomical fact-check your science books. As the viewer leaves the equator to travel north or south, the crescent moon's light starts to tilt and is never seen as a smiley face in northern latitudes. At 45 degrees latitude (roughly Oregon) the smile is vertical and the viewer would have to lay their head on the horizon to see it as a smile. I have seen the smiley face moon in NM, NV and CA since 2003. (What really amazes me is that this is not front page news.)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It seems as though the moon is getting closer by the day.

At this rate of encroachment, it should hit the Earth sometime around Dec. 21, 2012.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Hey high, close, far - are you on the equator? because I'm not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join