It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to build two new nuclear power stations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

US to build two new nuclear power stations

news.bbc.co.uk

President Barack Obama has announced more than $8bn (£5bn) of federal loan guarantees to begin building the first US nuclear power stations for 30 years.

Two new plants are to be constructed in the state of Georgia by US electricity firm Southern Company.

Mr Obama said the plants would be "safe and clean" and were needed to meet the country's future energy needs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I call for immediate and hard hitting sanctions against the United States. I believe with their already massive nuclear stockpile they are aiming to create more bombs under the guise of Nuclear Power.

America should be immediately surrounded with a coalition of countries militaries and we should start selling arms as a "defensive" measure to Canada, Mexico and South America.

Yadda Yadda Yadda. What a hypocritical government.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
"Safe and clean" ?????? Nuclear waste is now "safe and clean" ?????? Wind, solar and hydroelectric are clean. Come on Washington. Enough with the ignorance, already.

To the OP's take on this revelation:
What sanctions? Would you like China to stop sending us kids toys with lead paint? Or Japan to stop with the runaway Toyotas? How about OPEC to halt oil shipments, so we have to boost our own oil production?

Really though, I agree we shouldn't always be the first to accuse.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
First off, i just want to say that I am a proponent of nuclear power. i beleive it is the only functional alternative we have to fossil fuels (with that one LITTLE problem of waste), there is a large amount of evidence that "green alternatives" such as wind, hydro electric and solar will not be able to provide enough power in the near future, and are not consistent enough to function without a backup conventional system, canceling out the green advantage.

This being said i think we should continue research into ALL available sources. Yes, including clean coal, natural gas, nuclear, and everything else.

I especially think that we can find ways to reduce and elliminate nuclear waste. With current systems we can use up to around 90% of nuclear fuel, i belive, dont quote me on that i dont have a source right now! would it be possible to get rid of the unusable waste permanently? these are the questions we need to be asking! perhaps if space technology advancecs quickly enough it would be cost effective to launch it into the sun!

what i really dont understand (and i was going to start a thread on this question but have not reached my 20 post limit!) is whyy is obama pushing nuclear power while cutting funding for nuclear waste facillities?! i really dont see what kind of advantage there is to these simultaneous actions! is it political? is he trying to please two different groups at the same time? does he even realize the contradiction of policies here? or is there some detrimental alterior motive? i'm interested in hearing people's opinions!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozzy Mandias
(with that one LITTLE problem of waste)

LITTLE???

I would like to ask Obama if it would be alright to store the waste, from these new power plants, in his children's closets. If the answer is no, then don't build the plants. Simple.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Ummm the US has SO much nuclear "waste" already that they could build hundreds of thousands of bombs if they wanted. Same could be said for Russia. I dont think 2 new plants means the US wants more bombs. Jeez where do you folks come from????

THIS is exactly why its pointless to have rational discussions on ATS.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Why don't we just load up all the nuclear waste into a container and blast it off into space.

Set it on a crash course with Jupiter. Not our problem right?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Many more than 2 plants I think the number is actually 33 new reactors but probably only 2 totally new plants. The 2 plants by me are hiring designers and nuclear engineers as fast as they can because there's going to be a shortage of them SOON. 2 reactors and all the odds and ends will be 15000 new jobs for many years. Then they just need to ship the waste to Yucca mountain like they were supposed to after spendinf BILLIONS on it.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Ummm the US has SO much nuclear "waste" already that they could build hundreds of thousands of bombs if they wanted. Same could be said for Russia. I dont think 2 new plants means the US wants more bombs. Jeez where do you folks come from????

No sh#t Sherlock. If you re-read my post you may realize I am being sarcastic, and what I am really saying is how hypocritical the US government is, they go right on ahead and construct and build all things nuclear while they smear Iran to be a big bad boogey man enriching uranium for their power plants.

Where do you come from?

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Nomad451]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
WTFover,
yes i know the problem of nuclear waste is not little, thus the cap locks for irony.

princeofpeace,
I could be wrong, but i think it is likely that Nomad451 was also using irony, or maybe more accurately they were using satire, seing is how that is pretty much the logic we use for countries we dont agree with such as iran.

we could probably have rational discussion on ATS if more people took the time to actually look at what people are saying rather than presuming that everyone is a crazy nut.

soultorent,
I dont advocate the destruction of other planets just because we are incapable of taking care of ours. what if we were instead to launch it into the largest incenerator within our galaxy, the sun!

Im no astrophysisit or nuclear scientist, but it seems to me that from a laymans point of view that given we could fund the cost to put our waste into space this would be an option to completely eliminate nuclear waste without sullying another environment on or off earth.

Also, i know that the US considered the option of nuclear powered spacecraft, and Russia has also looked at this option recently. I wonder if this would someday be a costefficient way to rid ourselves of all nuclear waste.

thoughts please?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Because if you read my post there Poindexter you can see that im saying the US isnt trying to build bombs with thier new reactors. Thats what im saying.

Originally posted by Nomad451

Originally posted by princeofpeace

No sh#t Sherlock. If you re-read my post you may realize I am being sarcastic, and what I am really saying is how hypocritical the US government is, they go right on ahead and construct and build all things nuclear while they smear Iran to be a big bad boogey man enriching uranium for their power plants.

Where do you come from?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I was very excited to hear this at first but A) why is the government funding the projects? Isn't there an energy company somewhere in the country ready to build one anyways? Plus the Government never does anything right! B) Why now? I don't get the flip flop on the issue...

Something tells me it's a set up...corners will be cut, or it will be way over budget, it will melt down or be attacked and they'll say see, nuclear is bad joojoo and should be banned, meanwhile unreliable solar/wind should be built on the taxpayers dime!

As for the hypocrisy of it all, I don't expect Iran or North Korea to be nice with nuclear weapons...we used em once and that was it, they are a deterrent and last resort, not a first strike weapon as some countries want.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This world does not need any more nuclear power plants, any more dirty, depleted uranium waste.

Only an insane psypothic madman who was the most evil creature to walk in the multiverse would conceive of such a thing.

Solar, wind, GEOTHERMAL, never anything fossil fuel or nuclear. Say no, by watever means it takes.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

I know that is what your saying. I know myself they aren't building bombs with these two new reactors. If the US wanted to build bombs they would just use their other facilities wouldn't they.

My whole purpose of this post was to laugh and spit on the US government, building all things nuclear while at the same time sanctioning and threatening to bomb another country for only doing what they are entitled to.

The U.S government is a hypocritical sham and one hell of a gigantic joke

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

yes, you are saying the US isnt trying to build nuclear weapons. Nomad451's original post was not saying the US is trying to build weapons. It was a commentary on the hypocricy of the US governments stance on other countries building nuclear weapons.

Courtesy would go a long way towards helping rational discussion too!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozzy Mandias

yes, you are saying the US isnt trying to build nuclear weapons. Nomad451's original post was not saying the US is trying to build weapons. It was a commentary on the hypocricy of the US governments stance on other countries building nuclear weapons.

Courtesy would go a long way towards helping rational discussion too!

Thank you Ozzy.

I believe this will occur to princeofpeace once he stops and uses his brainbox for a second, we should extend our courtesy to him by letting him absorb this for a moment.

Hopefully it won't take long

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by soultorent
Why don't we just load up all the nuclear waste into a container and blast it off into space.

Set it on a crash course with Jupiter. Not our problem right?

Send it to the Sun instead. I wonder how heavy nuclear waste is? We need fuel to blast off, it might be wasting more energy than we would be creating to send it into space. Also, Aliens might get really mad at us.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

your right, i think the feasability would be the main concern, the question would be whether it would be cost effective to get it off the earth.

as for the question of aliens, if they are in our galaxy why would they care??? would there be any kind of reaction or ill affect from launching nuclear waste into the sun?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This calls for an immediate surgical military strike against America, and the world to impose immediate trade sanctions against the US.

<<   2 >>

join