It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Couldn't Care Less about it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
English is my second language. Yet, I am completely annoyed by the usage of "I couldn't care less" phrase wrongly, not only on ATS, but also in "lame stream media". The whole point is that one uses this phrase when he/she cares about something so little, that he/she COULDN'T care less, because it is impossible (so, really, one does not care at all about the subject).

Yet, thousands of times, everywhere, it is used as "I could care less" - and this is freaking annoying!

Anyone else shares this feeling with me?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
uhhh....this is causing global meltdown?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Is this a rant or are you saying you couldn't care less about a global melt down?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Sorry, this needs to go somewhere else, I will let moderators decide. Although grammar meltdown is also global these days

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
belowtopsecret does have a rant section

personally, I couldn't care less if this stays here though

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I ate too much cheezeburgers at that restaurant further down the road to give a good reply. I ate good though.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by herbivore

:raises hand:

I'm guilty. I put a space between melt and down.

ETA: I don't mind errors or anything like that as long as I can get the basics of what the person is trying to convey. However, I find it funny when people attempt to sound intelligent but use words out of context.

[edit on 16-2-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'm on your thread today, and I appreciate you not caring more or less what I post. Thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE

:raises hand:

I'm guilty. I put a space between melt and down.

Melt down was on the menu! Scrumdillyicious!

Me and him went and got a ton of 'em.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
"I couldn't care less" makes perfect sense to me...but then I'm a Southerner.

"Fixin' to do something" & "Sweetie, could you put a star on your belt and get me a beer" are common vernacular here as well

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Actually, I heard a theory about this. "I could care less" is American usage only. America is an overly competitive place. So much so that Americans find it very difficult to admit to not being able to do anything, for fear of appearing weak or "a loser", even to the point of making a nonsensical statement.
Of course, having now been challenged about this, the other extreme will kick in & Americans will demonstrate that they can admit things that they can't do/be...
Except, having been "headed off at the pass", there's now a dilemma, eh?
Nevermind. Its just a theory...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It is inane.

However.....

I could care less..... implies that you could, but care so little you cannot even muster up the will to care to care less about it.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by herbivore
English is my second language. Yet, I am completely annoyed by the usage of "I couldn't care less" phrase wrongly, not only on ATS, but also in "lame stream media". The whole point is that one uses this phrase when he/she cares about something so little, that he/she COULDN'T care less, because it is impossible (so, really, one does not care at all about the subject).

EXACTLY!!

Yet, thousands of times, everywhere, it is used as "I could care less" - and this is freaking annoying!

Anyone else shares this feeling with me?

me!
i do!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Bah! All o' ya! I could care a heck of alot more, in equal measure to the amount I don't care.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
yes this does bother me, but not enought to post about it. there are lots of things, way more important to spend your time worrying about. this will get you nowhere, let it go

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

I am perfectly capabable of having absolutely no idea what you are saying.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Personally, I don't want nothing to do with this mess. It's not like any of us are going anywhere anyway, and frankly, I don't want to go nowhere anyway! Besides, the use of the double negative is not just an American phenomenon. The Rolling Stones sang how they can't get no (satisfaction), even if they did try and they tried, and they try, try, try! Pink Floyd declare that We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control, and while Treasure of the Sierra Madre was a distinctly American movie, it was a Mexican federali who declared: "Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Geoffry Chaucer wrote in The Canterbury Tales: "Ther nas no man no wher so vertuous", which translated would be: "There was not no man nowhere so virtuous".

Oliver Cromwell, considered by all accounts to be a well educated man, wrote in a letter to his brother-in-law, Valentine Walton: "A little after, he said one thing lay upon his spirit. I asked him what it was. He told me it was that God had not suffered him to be no more the executioner of His enemies."

Prince William once said when speaking of his dear departed mother: "There isn't a day when I don't think about her."

I have heard it said that contrary to double negatives, there is no case in the English language where a double positive forms a negative...

Yeah, right!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I ain't got no opinion either way.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

Thanks! It is a part of my therapy to find other people who suffer from this annoyance.

I already feel better

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by herbivore
Thanks! It is a part of my therapy to find other people who suffer from this annoyance.

I already feel better

me, too

i have several other annoyances
maybe we should get together and have a mutual therapy session?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join