It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S., NATO troops prepping for biggest battle of Afghan War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Article

U.S. and allied commanders in Afghanistan are preparing for the biggest battle of the eight-year war, knowing that its outcome will reveal the chances of success for President Obama's revamped Afghan strategy. About 20,000 U.S., British and Afghan troops will soon storm Marja, the Taliban's final redoubt in the southern province of Helmand. A town of 80,000, Marja has for years been a den of narcotics traffickers and insurgents, serving as a launching pad for roadside bombs and suicide attacks. If the U.S. and its allies succeed in driving out the Taliban - and, perhaps more importantly, bring a measure of security to Marja - U.S. officials believe it will mark a turning point in the war.

Looks like this may be the push to turn the tide of the war, possibly. Im not sure if it will do anything drastic, other than making the taliban move to another region. Theres problably going to be a bit more casualties on the US,UK side im guessing.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I don't understand how these offensives work....

Taliban militants hide their guns in the attic or under their dirt-basement... They go outside and wave at the troops going by with big smiles and swear at them under their breath...

Repeat until a month er so passes, then attack the standing-guard troops after most battle troops leave the area.

Repeat.

Only the die-hards jump out in the street at shoot at NATO lol

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I think that given the fact that this is now common knowledge, does anyone not think that they might be prepared for this assault? Bearing in mind that the terrorists are not afraid of death and that is exactly what makes them so dangerous? I think that this may end up as a huge mistake and a one that cant be turned back.

new topics

join