It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Pill 'Will Help People Live Past 100'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I wasn't really sure where to post this as I was having issues with the breaking news forum... I found this fascinating.

A PILL to help people live to 100 free from debilitating health problems is set to "revolutionise" ageing, experts said yesterday.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/982be1c80cba.jpg[/atsimg]

Is this where it starts to go haywire? Once we start getting pills for living 'past 100' its only a matter of time before the science behind it increases speed and we're seeing 'past 200', etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that living long is a bad thing, but it does carry a lot of issues with it. The pill is set to start undergoing public tests within 3 years and could be ready for use within 6.

The breakthrough has come after scientists identified three “super-genes”.

People born with the genes are 20 times more likely to reach a century – and 80 per cent less likely to develop the senility disease Alzheimer’s.

Sky News

Telegraph

Express UK

What are your thoughts on this? I mean, this is the beginning of the 'elixir of immortality' after all... if there ever will be such a thing.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Wow that is pretty amazing... I've never heard of "super-genes" before

I myself am very likely to get Alzheimer's when I start getting old, but I'm sure they will have effective treatment by that time.

I think for this life at least, I'm going to put my trust in a healthy living lifestyle rather than start taking some drug for which they probably don't even know all of the long-term side-effects.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Sounds good but population control might have to be adopted at some stage, which is not so good. Mind you, most 100 year olds that I've seen don't look like they enjoy themselves too much in all honesty, maybe the boffins need to create some good 'energy' drugs to go with it

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It's less revolutionary than it sounds. There is nothing "genetic" in the composition of these pills. They just affect cholesterol levels, mostly... So even today, one may take Liptor with olive and fish oil... with similar results.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Really? That's interesting. So similar results can be achieved by regulating your diet? But this is also limiting the effects of diseases such as Alzheimer's and I'm not too sure on how much cholesterol effects that.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Some cant handle the idea of living a long time, as an example why do the super religious wear seatbelts? Would they not wish to meet their makers ASAP? That medicine should have a very strict prescription rules, a psychological test would be a must.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Li Ching-Yun allegedly live to 256.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e90043a43e7.jpg[/atsimg]

Personally I'd like to see people living longer, but fewer people to ensure quality of life.

I can't help but wonder if this science isn't already in use, as certain powerful elites seem to live forever - Fidel Castro anyone? Dick Cheney? Good God, even Abe Vigoda is still alive! Well okay Abe Vigoda is a pretty cool dude, but what sort of Frankenstein technology is keeping 'ol Dick and Fidel alive???

Maybe we'll have a wonder drug letting us live youthful, vibrant lives right up to the moment Sandmen come and drag us off to Carousel for renewal...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
My English teacher was talking about how allegedly cavemen lived roughly the same age as us, 60-80 years. However, their lifespan numbers are offset by their infant mortality rate which brought their lifespan down to around 40 years. A kid in my class backed this by what John Stewart supposedly said on the 'Daily Show,' the day before, Wednesday the 3rd. My class was on Thursday the 4th. I did not see this to episode to confirm.

Anyway, good find. Personally, I never thought I would, nor would I like to live past the age of 50-60, no disrespect to anybody. I see old people in the grocery store walking around pushing their cart aimlessly like it was their first time in the store. They are slow, lost, and confused. Not that all old people are like this, but common what is the point of living past your ability to run around and make good, quick decisive decisions... I don't think I should have said that.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
That means he was only using 8 bits.

(sorry for the bad joke, but I had to say it)

I can't help but wonder if this science isn't already in use, as certain powerful elites seem to live forever - Fidel Castro anyone? Dick Cheney? Good God, even Abe Vigoda is still alive! Well okay Abe Vigoda is a pretty cool dude, but what sort of Frankenstein technology is keeping 'ol Dick and Fidel alive???
My great-grandmother lived to be 99 years old, and the she died only because she got a pneumonia while working in her garden.

And Fidel Castro is young when compare with someone like Manoel de Oliveira, 18 years older than Castro and still making movies and looking nothing like 100 years old in this interview.

PS: that interview is one year old, he is now 101 and still working as usual.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
That means he was only using 8 bits.

(sorry for the bad joke, but I had to say it)

Haha, that's the first thing I thought of too

To be even more geeky I guess you could say he lived to 100..in Hex

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

Sounds good but population control might have to be adopted at some stage, which is not so good.

This would indeed be a real issue...

There may be 'requirements' to get the pill...Maybe some type of civic duty gets you on The List.

Or, NWO loyalty of some type...crazy possibilities.

edit to clarify...

[edit on 2/6/2010 by happygolucky]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I agree. There might be a list of requirements to acquire this pill.
Surely, it can't be this easy?
I mean, why would the government want to encourage longevity?

Ah well, again, a psychological factor adds to the effect probably.

And yes, my limiting your diet - there is such a difference. Well that's what I've been sticking to in my beliefs (of culture and religion).

top topics

join