It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien-like Squid With "Elbows" Filmed at Drilling Site

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Okay, well perhaps a few misnomers... I posted this in the Cryptozoology and Mythical Beasts forum, and this squid is clearly not mythical, nor a cryptid, since it has been photographed, and therefore its existance is not lacking in scientific proof. Still, I think it fits, for the most part. It's a previously unknown critter.

Another misnomer is the title "alien-like squid". That was National Geographic's title. Not quite sure how they'd know what an alien squid looked like.

I saw this video and the linked stills. Pretty cool creature. I've "danced" with squid underwater at night before -- small squid. I don't think I'd choose to "dance" with this creature.

Magnapinna Squid

hmmmm. Just now noticed that the date of this story is Nov. 2008. Perhaps this is old news. I was without power and internet at that time, for about 4 months due to hurricane, so I'll lean on that as my excuse.

link to page with video of the squid.

[edit on 4/2/10 by argentus]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
"Video in courtesy of shell oil company"

I wonder whats the agenda.
This corporation is owned by the rothschilds

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Star and flag for this one! It is really REALLY cool!

I love seeing animals I have never seen before!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
That thing was F'n creepy! Like a giant underwater spider or something.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by freebourn

From the link:

"Perdido ROV Visitor, What Is It?" the email's subject line read—Perdido being the name of a Shell-owned drilling site. Located about 200 miles (320 kilometers) off Houston, Texas (Gulf of Mexico map), Perdido is one of the world's deepest oil and gas developments.

The video clip shows the screen of the ROV's guidance monitor framed with pulsing inputs of time and positioning data.

Some marine biologists have even formed formal partnerships with oil companies, allowing scientists to share camera time on the corporate ROVs—though critics worry about possible conflicts of interest.

Strange Bedfellows?

As oil companies and their ROVs spend more time in the bathypelagic zone, more discoveries are sure to follow, experts say.

Eager for hard-to-come-by deep-sea video and data, some biologists are formally aligning themselves with the companies.

The U.K.-based SERPENT (Scientific and Environmental ROV Partnership using Existing iNdustrial Technology) project, for example, matches oil companies with researchers "to make cutting-edge ROV technology and data more accessible to the world's science community," according to the project's Web site.

Despite such partnerships, Monterey Bay's Robison said, most sightings of the Magnapinna squid have come from research vessels, not oil companies. The November 2007 video, for the record, was captured without scientific involvement.

Some scientists, including Robison, are not entirely comfortable relying on corporations for new data.

... not entirely comfortable relying on corporations for new data......... ha! no kidding, huh?

I guess if the oil companies have the cool toys and rovers, we should be glad to get a peek at what they see.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Yeah, that thin definitely looks alien. I've seen it before here on ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

It could just be a neat video of a neat squid, that was taken at a rig owned by Shell.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, Sigmund.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Indeed, but I am allways skeptic.

Sometimes fact is stranger then fiction

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I dunno, some of the fiction I see around here is pretty strange, and is usually pumped by people who simply believe that reality is too dull. Like, oh, OMG TEH EGYPTIANS HAD FLYING SAUCERS!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Romans 10:9

reply to post by YourPopRock

Based on analysis of videos not unlike the one captured at the Perdido site, scientists know that the adult Magnapinna observed to date range from 5 to 23 feet (1.5 to 7 meters) long, Vecchione said. By contrast, the largest known giant squid measured about 16 meters (52 feet) long.

And whereas giant squid and other cephalopods have eight short arms and two long tentacles, Magnapinna has ten indistinguishable appendages that all appear to be the same length.

"The most peculiar structure is that of the arms," said deep-sea biologist Bruce Robison of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in California.

Referring to the way the tentacles hang down from elbow-like kinks, Robison said: "Judging from that structure, we think the animal feeds by dragging its arms and the ends of its tentacles along the seafloor as it drifts slowly above it."

When I get lobster, it's at night and in fairly shallow water (spiney lobster). I've seen all manner of weird and strange creatures in the circle of my dive light. I'm always (so far) fascinated and go a bit closer to study them. I don't think I'd get close to this squid at all. Nope. Not me. I like LITTLE weird creatures, and I don't ever get close enough to be jabbed/spiked/bitten/burned/shocked or any of the other amazing self-defense/offense mechanism that sea creatures posess.

I think pretty much everything in the sea knows that people are severely out of their element and vulnerable.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I'd reather believe that then, "OH its only erosion by the wind that caused these perfect shapes to form" or "Nahh... they re carved it...." I may be right and I may be wrong, but it intrigues me.

Well yeah, about that I'm definitely skeptic (lets not go offtopic)

But back to the point - I merely stated this footage was brought about by a corp. with agendas.

And yes, it is my belief that disclosure is pushed by the elites with a PURPOSE.
and these wierd stuff are just to cusion the blow.

Again, maybe right, maybe wrong ----- HYPOTHESIS.

Nothing wrong ever came of speculation.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This creature is beautiful and amazing and should remain so with all of the other hidden wonders at the depths of our oceans. That is until someone figures out how to haul it up, put a $75 plus a pound price tag on it, and sell it throughout Asia as the James Cameron Abyss special with a fired egg.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Hi there argentus ! Your thread title alone is great and the vid to back it up is even better! wow that is weird, it does almost look alien, just shows you what odd things live yet to be discovered.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
there is a large percentage of things to be discovered underwater afterall.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
...I was without power and internet at that time, for about 4 months due to hurricane, so I'll lean on that as my excuse.

Hey, it's new to me too.
And I'll be damned if it isn't something special.
That sure is a fine squid you got there.
I'm surprised that many (or most...or all) of us haven't seen that one before.
Any new data on it, or was this just a one-time fluke? (*ahem*...no pun intended...)

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There is no "horrified" emote.

That thing...with all of it's...legs!! it was LOOKING at US!!!! Gah! Thanks for the nightmares>.<

Spider is right, I'm starting to itch now. That cannot be unseen.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Thank you for adding this to our collection...

I know its been spoken of before, but its nice to have it in this particular forum... I have a hunch the debut of this video was under some 'alien-like' heading....

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I agree!

I would be pretty scared to see a 20ft thing like that coming toward me in the water!! Thank the gods that they most likely stay deeper than we can go...

the top of the squid totally reminds me of a spider, the way the appendages have kinks.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It looks like the 'Strider' from Half-Life!

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Jinni]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by freebourn
"Video in courtesy of shell oil company"

I wonder whats the agenda.
This corporation is owned by the rothschilds

No agenda, they were simply prospecting oil and stumble upon those creatures.

Here on ATS anything that has a big company or a famous name behind it automatically must have a hidden agenda to dominate the world. This is a bit sick.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join