It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's most powerful laser to trigger fusion reaction this year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

World's most powerful laser to trigger fusion reaction this year

www.telegraph.co.uk...

A pivotal step in the march towards fusion power, the ''holy grail'' of sustainable clean energy, could be taken this year.(visit the link for the full news article)
www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 1-2-2010 by enca78]

[edit on 1-2-2010 by enca78]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
So here we are folks. The possibility of free energy is on the horizon. The implications that this may have on us as a species is mind boggling. Ultimatley if this actually works, it has the potential of changing life as we know it. No more pollution or hunger the list is endless. But this will only happen if it is not to be used as a way of gaining control as oil has. I would love to jump ahead 20years and just see exactly where this will lead, but since time travel hasnt happened yet i guess we will all have to just wait and see.
A down side is obviously the fact that this could be adapted into a weapon?

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7117774/Worlds-most-powerful-laser-to-trigger-fusion-reaction-this-year.html]www.telegraph.co.uk[ /url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Im confused their also saying they are putting the tests of fusion power
to a halt.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by To Many Lies

Really? i havent heard this.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Lets hope they have great security measures and many redunant backup systems. Cause if the test goes wrong the hole in the ground will be vast. Example. You hold a magnifying lense over a piece of paper and let the sun light pass through into a focused beam. It starts geting brown then it smokes then poof. Youve created FIRE. Using a high powered laser to cook off a fusion episode if under strict conditions could be the next set twords unlimited power. But the bad side would be like lasing a stick of dynomite. BOOOOM.
What ever happened to the cold fusion idea? I mean wouldn't that be alot safer?

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by To Many Lies

Unless I've missed something in the article, I think you've misunderstood.

The article is all about how they can now press ahead even more. The 'hurdle' has been swept aside, not the testing.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
lol free energy. not a chance. research cost, construction cost, labor, maintanence, regulatory expenses. by the time there done we may be lucky enough to say we have a climate friendly energy source at only twice the price of current energy.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
lasers.llnl.gov...

This First link is YOU guessed it the official Livermoore labs site with up all of the data presented to the publicity dept at LL so far. This is a fed site so surf at your own risk, not that any of good citizens have anything on the man that is
. Upon further Google-reaching I hound this site that goes over the harder technical data. I pray that for once, to all that is growing green and good in the world this much public data available points to a reality.

www.opticsinfobase.org...

If only then, if this all works we are to the stars my friends.

[edit on 28/01/10 by TacticalVeritas]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The NIF is about 30-35 miles east of where I live. It will be intersting to see what comes of it.

On a side note, most of LL is restricted so even if we have a ptient onboard, we have to fly around it. On the backside of the facility are a large number of bunkers dug into the mountain side holding god knows what.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I live about an hour N/Nw of LL I know those bunkers, funny thing is that group is interconnected all the way up through to Hgwy 12 just below Travis AFB. No-fly even for Life Flights eh, must be pushing some heavy EMf out of there. I wonder is you sat around long enough you'd see any type of spatial distortions or coronal effects from bending light.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
How on Earth are they planning on containing this fusion reaction? I mean, we're basically talking about a mini sun. Whatever they place this reaction into, surely it would just melt?

Also, the words "self sustaining" is worrying. How do they know that they will be able to shut it off?

[edit on 2-2-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
More likely the reaction won't get past the wallpaper on the hohlraum.

new topics

top topics

join