It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WinterStorm in Southern Plains

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hey ATS,

I wanted to bring it to the attention of those who have perhaps not heard of the Winter Storm that is currently wreaking havoc on Texas, Oklahoma and to a lesser extent here in Arkansas.

This is within a week of the anniversary of the worst Weather Event I have personally ever witnessed when we had a storm much like this one tear down every tree in sight and knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of people across Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee.

So far with this storm Oklahoma seems to be getting hit the worst. Hundreds of thousands of people are without power right now across Oklahoma. Lets keep them in our thoughts for a bit, shall we?
Here in NorthWest Arkansas we have seen a substantial amount of ice build-up but so far, everything is still good as far as power outages goes. I think that if we hadn't had that storm destroy so many of our mature trees last year we would probably be without power as well.
And remember, if you are in one of the affected areas, try and lend a helping hand to those who may be suffering right now.

Thanks and be safe, everyone.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Hey Jay

I see your at ground zero"if the forcast comes true" in this storm, I myself am getting more snow than ice, so I consider myself lucky.
There is something odd about this kind of weather, as you know I'm 37...I saw my 1st ice storm around 1990-91 never seen or heard of it prior to that date.
Then there was a fairly long time pass until it happened again, but now it seems to be a yearly occurance, not just yearly but sometimes 2-3 times in the same year.
No I do not believe in global warming, but, due to some animal migrations ie...armadillo's, road runners,"we have them in Missouri now" to mention a few known ones.
Something is either pushing these animals, or its just natural for the weather to fluxuate this way.
Keep in mind Jay, I have 4 bedrooms and use 2 if it gets to the point of no power, contact me!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

I appreciate that, man.
But we'll be fine. We're still at full power here in my town. And as of right now, it is just sleet.

The folks over in Oklahoma are being pounded, though.
I saw on the news this morning that over there looked like it did over here this time last year. Trees down everywhere. Power lines down everywhere.

It is going to be several days before they get back up on their feet.

But yeah, these ice storms are bad news. And they are relatively new to this area, like you said.
The problem is that our infrastructure wasn't, and isn't, built to stand up to them. They cause major problems down here.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear you guys are just getting snow up there. And I really appreciate the offer. Stay safe, brother.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Hi Jay,

Here in Northern OK we have about 4-5in snow, and the power is still on, but they closed the schools, I'm just sitting here wondering if I should bother going to work today. It's still snowing...
I'm so glad the ice didn't make it here. We are not all so lucky,

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

Have you been out yet this morning?
I took the wife to work this morning (she is afraid to drive on this stuff).
Anyhow the roads, at least over here, are pretty danged treacherous.

Whatever you do, be safe.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
No, I'm debating about getting out, I haven't seen one car go by and just thinking about whether or not it's worth it to open the store for the few who are brave/nutty enough to go out. When the snow quits, I'll probably go shovel off the sidewalk, but I have a very old mini-van that sucks on any surface but really really sucks on ice.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

I was driving the mini-van myself this morning. I didn't see any accidents this morning. But I also noticed that there was hardly a soul on the roads. Steady as she goes. Just makes ure that if you have to get out to drive very slowly.
Heh, couple weeks back we got some snow and ice and I ended up making a hollywood move on the road as the van spun 180 on me while there were cars behind me. I flipped it in reverse and whipped it back around and continued on. *phew* Very lucky.
Now I make sure I drive a steady 15 or 20 mph on this crap. Often times much slower than that even.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I did that once in Wisconsin, we got much worse weather than this every single year. But I slipped on the highway and spun 180 degrees and got over to the other side of the road and kept going until I could find a place to turn around.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
So far it has been peacful. We had freezing rain yesterday and then it snowed. It is beautiful out but crunches when you walk on it. It should not last for more than a couple of days. December 2007 we had a much worse ice storm. It caused tremendous damage.
The plant stems and leafs and whatever were each encased in little tubes of ice. It was beautiful.But a lot of property was damaged. But this year isn't so bad. As long as we don't lose power. In the Dec 2007 storm a lot of people lost power and had to move in with friends and relatives and a few shelters. This year we're not hearing much about that. Just hope people are ok. I think the govt is too busy in Haiti to take advantage of this crisis.Let's hope so.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by m khan

The good thing about living up North is that when these systems move through up there, they generally just drop snow.

People in the South don't have the equipment the folks in Wisconssin have to deal with this stuff, plus, we get much more ice than we do snow. Although right now it is snowing like mad outside.

Just keep the hundreds of thousands in Oklahoma suffering in your thoughts please?
Thanks.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I live in middle Tennessee and I can tell you we are getting HAMMERED, this could be the biggest snowfall in Nashville history, as well a lot of other cities around here. There is already 5 inches on the ground (in three hours) and it is not supposed to stop till noon tomorrow. Traffic has been deadlocked, multiple wrecks, and the roads are just atrocious.

I'll keep you guys updated from my end, maybe post some pics later.

[edit on 1/29/2010 by jkrog08]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Stay safe, man.
Over here we got about 1/2-3/4" of ice and now about 6-8 inches of snow on top of it.
Roads are pretty bad, but we still have all of our power, near as I can tell.

They were talking about a city in Oklahoma this morning, ONE city, that has lost all power. 115,000 people. All without power. And that is just a single city. they won't have it back up for several days.

I'm afraid there are a lot of people hurting over there right now.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

That's a goodidea. I hadn't even thought of posting pictures. I'll get my camera out here in a little while if I can gain the strength. (bad time to come down with the flu)
Boy, I've been a bear since last night with this crap.

Anyhow, last year I did a tour of our town when the "Cat 5 Ice Storm" hit us.
This one isn't as bad, but it is looking pretty bad.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Pictures to come tomarrow...

Right now we got 7-8 inches of snow, mixed with sleet. It is not going to lighten up till tomm. It is getting worse outside....

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Pretty much the same here. Thanks for the update.
I had to get out on the roads about an hour ago to go pick up the wife at work, and it was the worst I have ever experienced as far as road conditions are concerned.

And it is still snowing heavily.

I can't wait to see what the snow totals are tomorrow.

I hope everyone is well.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
South end of Fayetteville, Ar here
About 6-8" on the ground and still snowing heavily at 7:30 pm
Went to the corner store and i will tell you if you dont have to get on the roads then dont

P. S.- nice pic of the Buffalo jay

[edit on 1/29/2010 by zoso28]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by zoso28

Thanks for the update, friend.
You done much hiking on the Buffalo?
My favorite place on Earth!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I mostly rock climb up that way, at Horseshoe Canyon and Sam's Throne, among other, but hiked some of the Buffalo Trail. I go hiking in the Bostons alot. Bet its beautiful at those places with the snow right now

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zoso28

I'm sure it is!
Problem would be getting there, though!

Horseshoe canyon is awesome. I don't climb, but if I did, that would be the place to go.

You know, just across the highway from the Horseshoe canyon entrance is the upper end of Indian Creek. That is the best hike I've ever done, I think.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Been told about Indian Creek but havent gone yet. I'll take you climbing at 'Shoe and you can show me Indian Creek. I wish i could get there now

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join