It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Thought - Organ Donating

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hey guys, I was thinking about people who often die waiting on a transplant list, waiting for an available organ to be transplanted to them because theirs is failing or faulty.

Well, more people die waiting on that transplant list than people saved getting an organ, and it really is sad that people often wait on nothing.

So I was thinking, wouldn't it be smart of the government to give an incentive for being an organ donor (this of course when you have died already), like maybe handing out a sum of cash for becoming an organ donor. Lets say a fair $400?

This would greatly decrease the costs hospitals spend on giving medicine to those waiting on a transplant that would prolong their life until the medicine no longer is of use because people would almost have a new heart quickly available to them.

Countless lives would be saved, but yes there is a downside, which is that those organs came from someone who had just died, but they would be making a great contribution and people would not die in vain and let their organs merely waste.

So ATSers? What do you think of this? It is merely making great use of what people can contribute once they have passed on.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Why would the government want to encourage organ donation and save lives, if they truly are the puppets of the pharmacutical corporations? Just asking.

I think its an interesting idea, but not sure if it would work. How would the logistics of the payout occurr? The government pays you to sign up, and then discourages you from receiving medical intervention when you get older so that they can harvest your organs? Might be a conflict of interest there.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well, I don't believe they'd discourage you from getting help when your older, but let's say if someone died in a car crash but their organs were intact, they could donate there organs, well if they had signed up for it before their death, and they would have made an easy few hundred, it's not like the masses are signing up to donate their organs for free or without reason.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
There is no greater gift you can share than the gift of life. Adding your name to the Michigan Organ Donor Registry is easy! All you need is your name, date of birth, driver's license or state identification card number. After enrolling you will receive a heart sticker for your driver's license or ID card, designating your wish to be a donor.

www.michigan.gov...

My son in law is the recipient of two heart transplants and is very active in the donor program in Michigan.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Koolcdj69

It seems that some Goverments just take organs: China and Israel;

Or that certain doctors just take them: India.

And even in the US there are cases of people who are not declared organ donars losing their organs anyways.

Personally, I am against organs for profit to protect society from organ harvesting.

Myself, I don't even want to be an organ doner because there are cases where people have not yet been declared clinically dead due to brain trauma yet had organs harvested regardless of clinical death.

This is not appealing to me; so as a result of organs for profit I must decline donation until this motivation of greed is replaced by the sincere desire to save and preserve life.

I do not want to be made a victem to save a victem.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Ahhh....I gotcha now. Guess I'm being too cynical again...

Anyway, I do think its a cool idea. Any ideas how to get it in practice?

Aquarius....
That is amazing. I didn't realize a person could receive two transplants on the same organ. I thought there would be restrictions, or something. Anyway, how does one become "active" in a donor program? I'm genuinely interested, hope it doesn't come across sarcastic.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Can-O-Worms.

Would this be offered to everyone regardless of gender, race, and age? If not, there would be discrimination lawsuits galore.

And what of those who suffer from liver disease, AIDS, heart disease or cancer, etc? If you screen them out of the program, there is another lawsuit.

Then of course you have the chance of installing a defective ticker part in someone. Was the process of screening thorough? How did a bad heart get into the system? Same goes for any organ. One blunder and the ACLU has lunch on the hospital steps.

The whole thing about the selling and harvesting of human organs just scares the gee-whilikers out of the insurance folks... and with good reason.

Besides all of that, science is only a decade or so away from growing human organs from scratch... and they will likely be a custom match for the recipient. Of course... there still could be the issue of affordability so, there might be a black market for organs, just like there is today.

Whatchya think?

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It's not like im saying this is only for you to profit off of this, but a way to get people off their couch and contributing, I will become a donor regardless of whether I get paid or not, to hell with the pay for me, but it's an ideal way to motivate others.

Or maybe instead of receiving cash you get an added tax cut of $400, doesn't have to be profit but motivation.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Can-O-Worms.

Would this be offered to everyone regardless of gender, race, and age? If not, there would be discrimination lawsuits galore.

And what of those who suffer from liver disease, AIDS, heart disease or cancer, etc? If you screen them out of the program, there is another lawsuit.

Then of course you have the chance of installing a defective ticker part in someone. Was the process of screening thorough? How did a bad heart get into the system? Same goes for any organ. One blunder and the ACLU has lunch on the hospital steps.

The whole thing about the selling and harvesting of human organs just scares the gee-whilikers out of the insurance folks... and with good reason.

Besides all of that, science is only a decade or so away from growing human organs from scratch... and they will likely be a custom match for the recipient. Of course... there still could be the issue of affordability so, there might be a black market for organs, just like there is today.

Whatchya think?

Ahhh, true. But, I don't believe organs will come from those with diseases, that's why right now they don't accept organs from people with known conditions that will affect the other organs.
It's common sense, that is why they will not be elligible, I mean not to be cruel but you can't give away a bounced check.

And yeah, has anyone heard of the Bio Printer? seems to be promising.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Ahhh....I gotcha now. Guess I'm being too cynical again...

Anyway, I do think its a cool idea. Any ideas how to get it in practice?

Aquarius....
That is amazing. I didn't realize a person could receive two transplants on the same organ. I thought there would be restrictions, or something. Anyway, how does one become "active" in a donor program? I'm genuinely interested, hope it doesn't come across sarcastic.

Well, my 1st guess on getting it on the works would be to contact your local state representative or some official in the government.
I will see if this would be plausible and then from there I'll try to contact a legislator in my town.

I mean, it's with good intentions right? Don't see any real folly with it.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I became an organ donor not to long ago.

I also gave blood for a few years, now I give plasma twice a week.

Yes I am being high and mighty!

I think it'd be a good idea, but people's religions and beliefs and paranoia that if they do sign up they'll be killed immediately.

Or movies like "The Eye", and that Bs hoping not to put those scenarios on other (it's just ignorant people that don't know enough to realize that that won't happen to collectors).

It wouldn't be a bad idea altogether, but funding it would be another burden, and people really shouldn't need an incentive to do a good thing.... but that's the times we live in.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I became an organ donor not to long ago.

I also gave blood for a few years, now I give plasma twice a week.

Yes I am being high and mighty!

I think it'd be a good idea, but people's religions and beliefs and paranoia that if they do sign up they'll be killed immediately.

Or movies like "The Eye", and that Bs hoping not to put those scenarios on other (it's just ignorant people that don't know enough to realize that that won't happen to collectors).

It wouldn't be a bad idea altogether, but funding it would be another burden, and people really shouldn't need an incentive to do a good thing.... but that's the times we live in.

Of course people shouldn't need an incentive to do right things, but others will not budge until told to do so.
Well, those that would have it infringe in their religion can just choose not to participate, no need to fuss if it's optional.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by Koolcdj69]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
For anyone who may have an interest in becoming an organ donor, visit this website, it tells you step by step how to do this

www.donatelifeny.org...

I have a personal issue concerning organ donating and why I believe it is beneficial, as my 2nd cousin, was killed in a drunk driving accident, and he been for organ donating but had not gotten around to doing it.
The hospital called my grandma which is his aunt to ask if they could use his organs and he was very muscular and had perfectly good organs that could save the lives of others. As my family got into a feud over what to do with his organs, they ultimately chose no because it "infringed" on the sacredness of the body or whatever. However, my father, a very close friend of my 2nd cousin was very angry that his organs had been burned instead into ashes, whilst they could've saved someone's life, and the whole family ended up regretting not donating. This angers me because these organs could've saved a poor fellow's life whos been waiting for a transplant.

I personally know I will donate blood and plasma and when I die, I will donate organs, regardless of incentive.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Hey, I think that is an excellent idea. Many people die with good, healthy organs that are just wasted, while thousands wait in vain for a transplant. People will pay anything to stay alive for a few more years, so why not? And, BTW, for the poor, why not harvest organs and give them to a portion of poor people. Look at me, 56 years old, good strong heart, two good kidneys, corneas, all they need is lascic (sp) surgery to clean up the scars. Amy healty organ go to waste each day. Good thinking.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I think if we contacted the right people, we could get this to occur and happen.

It would seem like a good idea for President Obama to endorse this type of reform.
Saves hospitals medical bills and also peoples lives.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I have become totally against organ transplants.

As we have seen it opens the door for criminal activity.
It encourages doctors to prefer to do an expensive transplant rather than to set his patient on the road to recovery by other means.

It is a well known fact that thousands of unnecessary surgeries are performed. Don't you wonder how many lucrative unnecessary transplants are being done and how many more would be done if there was a plentiful supply of organs?

I do not believe that there are THAT many people whose organs have deteriorated beyond repair. What age are these people? In old age everything fails. If these people are young something is very wrong.
I do not believe in patching up those born defective so they too can live mizerably. That is cruel.

We are given the impression that once someone has his new organ that he will live a normal life. This is simply not true. They must take anti-rejection meds their whole life and are prone to many infections.

I did know a man who got a kidney from his sister. He lived mizerably for 2 years. He was in his early 40's. Had been a very in shape man until he got sick. I have no idea how he damaged himself in the first place. Didn't think of it at the time...I would have asked his wife who worked with me.

How many people die with good healthy organs.
Usually they died because they are SICK!!
How many people who die in accidents are healthy?
Is there a sure way to tell if they are healthy?
It has already been pointed out that some who may have lived were killed in the Zeal to take their organs.

Murder victims...if you can get them right away.
DOA.....grab his organs!

OP your idea opens up a big can of nasty worms.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by OhZone]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
organs to plant into other organisms.
sounds like a solid market to invest in.
organ donations before it got popular, where did these pumps came from?

now with all that regulation ...
WE NEED MORE DONORS!!
we need to harvest organs to save the live of you're child.

well is it as small as it seams?

or is donor organs just big business with extreme profits, and bonuses?

who is the main regulator of this all around the world?
and what kind of non profit, help the people is behind it?

is there even an human aspect to the human organ donor industries?

[edit on 28-1-2010 by telfyr]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm on the fence here. On the one hand organ and tissue donations help save worthy lives. On the other, the amount of money that is charged to either the family or the insurance company for the procedure is outrageous. There is little or no compensation to the family of the donor for his/her organs yet, the profit gained from such procedure by medical facility is through the roof. I'd sure like to get some solid numbers on what is charged for each organ or tissue that is harvested for use.

In my profession, occasionally tissue harvesters come in for corneas, ear bones, long bones, and skin. Trust me when they are done with their procedures it is not a pretty sight.

Organ donation is a little tougher, much of the time it's a operating table to table harvest/transplant situation. The correct set of circumstances have to be in place for such a procedure to happen and timing is everything. This is why in my opinion Stem Cell research and procedures should be at the forefront of all medical facilities research staff.

On a side note, you know when people say they want to donate their bodies to research? Well let me tell you, on one occasion I went to the IU Med Center in Indianapolis to pick up a body and take back to the Funeral Home. I have never been in a creepier place in my entire life. For instance, when a pediatry class needs a foot for teaching purposes they don't take the entire cadaver into class. I'll leave the rest to your imagination but I'll give you a hint. It includes the use of a ban saw.

I've never been on a donor list and I never will.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by The Undertaker]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

what we both realize is that there is a factory that makes unseen profit.

we should address that!
not make it a horror story, we all know its not barby when we sing for it.
openness in business should begin in the medical papers.
a good begin is in this threat.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Yeah, I agree stem cell research would be as good as transplants, if not better. But, sadly those that oppose it are often religious fanatics (not singling out anyone) while stem cells can come from a persons own body. Such as us men, we have untapped stem cells in our testicles lol.

Yet, no one is willing to progress forward with this

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join