It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun newspaper gets backing from scientists for recording UFO's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

NASA has backed The Sun's study of Britain's X-files. A top scientist from the US labelled our bold bid to record alien activity in the UK as "important". Cash-strapped Ministry of Defence chiefs secretly axed the department that investigated UFOs last month. But now The Sun has picked up the baton as strange space sightings are close to an all time high. American Dr Christopher McKay — a NASA extra-terrestrial investigator — said: "It is important to keep a record of UFOs. "I think it is only natural as a human to wander whether there is life outside of Earth. Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

"The public are really interested in the unexplained sightings so it is worthwhile to log them." Dr McKay — part of NASA's Space Science Division since 1982 — has spent his career looking for extra-terrestrial life. The planetary scientist was the co-leader of the Mars Phoenix Lander mission in 2008. The probe dug up chunks of ice on the Martian surface again fuelling hope that living organisms existed on the Red Planet. And he is busy planning a new mission to Mars in search of life. He said The Sun's bid to record the UFOs over the UK shared the same the goal he was striving for — to discover alien life forms. He added: "Tracking UFOs is the same as the interest that I have. My interest is from a scientific viewpoint but I am asking the same question. "We are both asking the question - are there other life forms out there?" British Mars expert Professor Colin Pillinger CBE echoed NASA's Dr McKay. He applauded The Sun for reviving the MoD's UFO project after they shut it down on December 1 2009. Any sightings in Britain will now NOT be officially recorded because MoD chiefs branded the £50,000-a-year department an "inappropriate use of defence resources". It came despite the near TRIPLING of alleged UFOs between 2008 and 2009 to 643. Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

despite it being a national newspaper and having a reputation for telling lies i think that their shout to record UFO sightings is important and getting backing from official scientists is very good.

it also raises the debate as to why records were stopped anyway?

£50,000 a year isnt really that much money for a corporation such as the MoD and isnt recording un-known objects which would aid in the discovery of ET life classed as important any more?

unless it has something to do with disclosure but i know any mention of that gets squashed because of so many false rumours.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'd like to know the exact words from McKay, because (since he IS a serious researcher) I don't think he'd be very enthusiastic about The Sun's coverage on UFOs during the last years: the Sun makes sensationalistic journalism and the very majority of their UFOs articles turned out to be crocks based on birds, reflections and much other crap: their aim is to sell as many copies as possible and they don't care about UFOs.
Plus, i'd like to know what question(s) did they pose to him? Did they ask "do you think that the Sun is covering the UFOs subject matter in some satisfactory way?" or did they ask "do you think that to talk about UFOs is better than to don't talk about UFOs?" etc: the lack of the question is suspicious to say the very least.
I don't trust the statements that are broken in many parts, between which are inserted parts coming from parts unrelated to the statement; and in which it's difficult to spot any logic thread, and honestly this sounds pretty much like an article set up to look what it really is not.
And anyway, if McKay actually appreciates The Sun's way to cover the subject matter, then i'm afraid to be in some strong disagreement with him, but maybe I'm wrong and he's right: yes, one might tink that some coverage whatsoever is always better than no coverage at all, but after having seen how The Sun works, i have to say that i'd rather to don't see any UFOs reports at all.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

The Sun has a daunting task ahead of them. Who will do the actual work analysis etc? The article doesn't say. Do people trust The Sun? Is it a fact oriented objective newspaper?

join