It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could facebook groups bring down the goverment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have an dream.....

....Remember at christmas, where RATM got to #1 in the UK charts from people on the internet being annoyed at the empty offers from Strictly come singing on ice. Well, what if it was over something hat actually mattered? What if....what if groups started to spring up, urging people to vote for an outsider party, like the Monoster Raving Loonies or something. If everyone clubbed together, and spread the word, over networking sites, boards like this, and all the other holes on the internet where we all like to play hide and seek. What if it did grow, to a great size, gathered momentum like the christmas effort did. Could we do it?

What do you reckon?

Could the internet take out the goverment as we know it?

I reckon we at the very least, stand a chance of sending a very big message to those in power. And at the very best, get to oust them for good! (or at least a few years)

Good idea/bad idea? What say you?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Yes.

It's why lots of countries restrict internet use ( China, Iran; Ect).

But in the west I'm afraid that we are way to complacent to really give a care. Remember this is country ( The UK but it's true in other Western countries as well) where more people vote for X-Factor then general elections. We've become fat with excesses and sadly a vast majority don't want to give up their bacon sandwiches, flat screen TVs and sky tv, and they sure as heck aren't goint to rock any political boats which might endanger their "essentials".

We've become too rich for our own good.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

oh yes i agree... maybe not through facebook groups as there are a lot of people too open to being twisted by the tv and even facebook may be a bit corrupt. but for those who know what there doing the internet is a very powerful tool.
which is why we must protect it with all we have!!!

[edit on 27-1-2010 by soot black]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It's also why we have to utilise it while we have the chance!

I'm close to starting a facebook group for this purpose, but i've avoided FB due to prior concerns about ownership and data logging. But i think this could be worth the plunge. Even if it does nothing, it was worth a shot.

*contemplates*

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'll play devil's advocate here: The problem as I see it is that TPTB will use the same technique on FB that they use in the traditional political arena. They will work to fracture the participants. Cause them to break-up into multiple competing groups thereby nullifying the effect.

Look at the 'Tea Party' movement. It started out as a 'grassroots, independent movement'. Then the GOP and conservative right got involved and now the TP movement can't even agree with itself. They have quickly become a non-factor.

I believe the very best thing you can do, in terms of using FB to drive a meaningful political movement, would be a group like 'Declare Our Independence'. To become a member of the group you have to agree to three requirements:

1. You have to change your voter affiliation from whatever it is to 'Independent'.

2. You have to guarantee that you will vote in ALL upcoming elections.

3. You agree to vote against EVERY incumbent, irrespective of their party, in EVERY election going forward.

On its surface this may not seem like such a big deal but it is. People are being asked to do easily achievable things within the context of the existing political system. If #1 starts happening all of a sudden and in massive numbers the establishment WILL take notice. And if sufficient numbers of people join it will turn the political landscape upside down.

Here's the rub. If you read the political threads here on ATS you'll quickly see that the majority of people believe that all the problems in the country are the result of the OTHER party. They just aren't swift enough to understand the fact that the Republicans and Democrats are basically the same. They're both bought and paid for by big business. Neither gives a rat's ass about us. Until people in general get the fact that it's US against THEM nothing can ever, ever change.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

yet if people see the greater cause...
i think the problem would be about other tecniques of doing the same thing...

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
What kind of message would you have to give to get all the people to band together?
What message would we send the government?

I think we would need a lot of people, probably more than your going to get from the net itself. But then again i'm not apposed to it, and would certainly be willing to get involved.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
All forms of networking are potentially empowering to every member, to the extent their wills are aligned. The less aligned they are in purpose, the more divided they are.

Facebook and Myspace, and similar popular networking tools, probably have a huge potential to unite diverse global communities – and already are doing so, at some level.

Important questions I cannot answer: 1) To what extent are private communications, through networking sites, really private? 2) How long does it take to sabotage networking efforts, if they are public? 3) Why aren't more people already following through on jtma508's ideas? 4) How effective are these grassroots movements, once they gain significant momentum, at avoiding the trappings of mainstream political propaganda? And, for that matter, how do you prevent the success stories from being subverted by that which they attempted to subvert?

These questions aren't asked to dissuade anyone, merely to generate ideas.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I seriously doubt a bunch of attention seeking, spastic teenagers could bring down the government. Isn't that the main members of sites like Twitter, Facebook, and Myspace?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
No amount of protest within a system will change that system, and when the task that must be undertaken is a change of that system, such separatist activity is extraneous and dangerous because it serves as a surrogate for real action. The fact of that matter is that a sensible dissident program does not disagree with the values held by the healthy members of a society, but it disagrees with the methods used to achieve those values, so it can return to the source and change the design of the system so it can represent those values.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Facebook isn't just a bunch of pimply faced teens. It has become pretty mainstream with a wide swath of businesses active there as well. Including the MSM.

Facebook Demographics

As you can see, there is a realtive even male/female split. Age is broadly based but favors the key 25-54 cohorts with the highest growth favoring older people. More importantly, this FB connected group is connected with many other people through normal social channels. So, anything that happens on FB that gets them involved and excited WILL spread well beyond FB. And quickly.

The problem is that for all the talk and all the bluster we hear on ATS and elsewhere, no one is motivated to do jack. It's all talk. Here's another related AT thread talking about revolution. As soon as I made my suggestion asking for the smallest imaginable action... the thread died.

There WILL be a Revolution

An Independent/Anti-Incumbency movement... something I like to call I-AIM is not only do-able but can be accomplished with barely any effort on anyone's part at all. But the biggest impediment is the non-stop Republicans v. Democrats v. Republicans circle-jerk that is ubiquitous both here on ATS and in the population at-large. Until people finally wake-up to the realization that both parties are in collusion against We the People things will only get worse.

Don't minimize a movement like this. Look at the press Scott Brown's election got. All because 'Independents have spoken'. Well the GOP is all excited cause it went their way this time. But if we all bail on BOTH parties just wait until you see the panic.

We can do it. Do you have the stones?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

At this stage, most of our "activism" ultimately becomes the same sort of moral pretense that allows the crowd to detest any who dare rise above the morass. Our activism changes little because it is not designed for effect, but to make us feel better about being unique and different in what we choose. In the intraverted society, where the inner self is denied, our actions reward the external self under the guise of helping society as a whole.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
yeah of course groups can, the best thing they can do is make people aware of a certain subject and inform the people who dont know whats going on, if any 1 wishes to help me with my ufo group / and/or become admin, let me know please. thanks for the post

www.facebook.com...

lets end this nonsense

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I think it would be about as successful as previous campaigns to "Rock the
Vote" and so forth. If young people, who will the the biggest audience, can't even be bothered to vote for *anyone*, why would they vote for some wacky third party candidate.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You didn't check out the Facebook Demographics link I provided above. Did you bob? It's not just kids.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Could facebook groups be the government?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
You're right about that! I wrote this thread before reading yours

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Facebook is definitely revolutionary! People come together on Facebook to protest, to start groups, and everything else. It's a very easy way to get a quick message out there!

ATS is on Facebook, and I think it could start a whole different type of Facebook Groups! Just add this to the end of www.facebook.com/ " group.php?gid=4853544998&ref=ts " without the quotes. (don't know how to link.) xD

new topics

top topics

join