It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is hypnosis merely the power of directed imagination?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,

This is a follow up thread about the subject of hypnosis. In the first thread I made something of a boob of myself by directly asking for help and appearing very rude. Sorry about that guys, I've sure learned a lot since.

So the main point of my question, hypnosis seems to be the mis-labeling of the power of your imagination, and is this so? Einstein I think used the phrase there is no power greater than imagination, and in my limited experience of hypnosis, it's just the application of a concentration of one's imagination.

If you imagine eating a lemon, the process of imagination is a form of hypnosis. The full form is that split second of feeling and emotion you get from remembering and imagining but spread over a longer period of time. Hypnosis is an expression of the power of imagination that is highly focused, and a good analogy would be that of a muscle in that it grows when exerted. It's very interesting to see what happens after you (for wont of a better phrase) switch off your critical faculty.

Any thoughts and stories welcome.

Peace

Yeah I used boob, don't analyze it

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

I don't know. Seems many who practise hypnosis don't really know, either

We're advised that when hypnotised, some people(when instructed to do so) are able to recount mundane events which occurred to them in infancy. Others are able to recount exactly what occurred on, for example, their first birthday, including the clothes they wore, foods they ate, identies and details of those present, etc.

All of which could be described, loosely, as 'greatly enhanced powers of memory'

It's said that within us, is stored a record of every single thing we've ever experienced/witnessed, etc. and that these records can be accessed via hypnosis

Hypnosis is certainly fascinating

It's claimed that we're actually hypnotised after watching for example a tv for relatively short duration ... perhaps five minutes or so. There are many examples of what are claimed to be hypnotic-states, within our everyday lives. For example, it's claimed that reading constitutes a form of hypnosis, or drawing, sculpting, listening to music, daydreaming, etc.

Then there are the more specific forms of hypnosis, as used in therapy to retrieve or relive events in our lives or even (it's said) pre-birth

Life itself may be a form of extended hypnosis ?

It's all very interesting. But we're so easily distracted, aren't we ?

new topics

join