It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FSC Cigarettes more dangerous?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
www.examiner.com... ver

As someone who used to smoke, I can tell you these cigarettes are worse, you can taste the difference, and you can actually feel sick sometimes when using these new ones. Can these new cigarettes really prevent housefires, because it seems unlikely to me. Even if it touches something burning, it can spread.

My concern too is that I had read that Marlboro was working with the government to make these cigarettes. Why would the government want something new in them? And then more people start getting sick? Then we find out that carpet glue is in the damn things, and the government says it's nothing that can be dangerous?

Weren't we always told NOT to sniff the glue?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Your link did not show an article. I would not be surprised if the FDA was requiring additives or reducing the nicotine over a period of time. You just end up buying more. The best thing to do is quit if you can.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by ViperFoxBat]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
My plan is to just switch to the E-Cigarette.

These new ones taste worse, sometimes create mini explosions in them..... if you smoke em you know those POPS!

And 1-5 of my cigarettes that are left for awhile, actually stop burning...the rest don't.......

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
they use fire retardant in these cigarettes because they think it will in turn make the smoker retarded...

wait!....

hmmm...

I thought that smoking was proof of retardation in the first place!...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Leave it to the government to find a way to make our smokes retarded

Seriously, polyvinyl acetate is listed as a poison in the hazardous materials handbook. They just can;t kill us smokers off fast enough!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
about a decade or so ago, the apartment two doors down from us caught fire in the middle of the night a couple of days before christmas. A little boy, playing with matches was blamed for it, taken from his parents and put into a foster home. But, even the caseworker from social services said that it was more likely the father had fallen asleep with his lit pipe and burned the place down.....he had a record of doing this!
I still feel sorry for this poor little boy who will probably grow up believing that he burned down several apartments and ruined his family's christmas...
so, my question is.....
so when are they gonna make retarded pipes, so that retards like this boy's father can't divert the blame for his stupid actions onto his kids???

the cigs have carpet glue in them, ya real safe! a court has ruled that the fda has overstepped their bounds by interferring with the importation of the ecigs. do yourself a favor, either start growing your own tobacco, or switch to the ecigs, or just kick the habit. but these new fire retardant cigs are causing problems for alot of people!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
When you think about it.....wouldn't smokers with lung cancer now be able to sue the federal government?

This is the equivilent of putting vinegar in wine to stop people drinking.

If we are going to start putting flame retardants in cigarettes to prevent house fires, why isn't the government also putting flame retardants in candles?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I posted this a week or so ago.... this is weird but they cure the tobacco with chemicals so it will burn better.... clorine - gunpowder ... and god knows what else... and now they decided they burn too good and need to add flame retardant.... or something like it.....
my main concern is these cigarettes are lethal. chemical cocktail. it might not kill you right away - I think members here call it SoftKill.... well, I refuse to purchase FSC cigarettes and have noticed not all brands have went this way -- so as long as non-FSC cigarettes are available -- I think that is because they dont want to softkill off their supporters who smoke.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I noticed that when you try to put one out to save for later, it either does not go out fully or re-ignites about 2 minutes later!!!

also when you try to re-light that cigg, it bursts into flames and pops and spews sparks everywhere - firesafe?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Call me archaic, but i insist on using wooden matches to light my smokes (it makes the experience more enjoyable for me). Problem with these FSCs is that now, instead of needing one match, one strike, I find myself needing to strike 3-4 matches/ cig. So I ask, which is more dangerous? The need for more matches or a slow-burning cig that won't go out on it's own?

Not only that, but these things are segmented due to the chem in the paper...and these segments tend to fall out of the cig while still burning due to design.

Why not have the burn-out material placed near the filter, as it is at this point that 99% of cig butts are tossed?

ETA: Ban FSC page

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Cole DeSteele]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
My plan is to just switch to the E-Cigarette.

These new ones taste worse, sometimes create mini explosions in them..... if you smoke em you know those POPS!

And 1-5 of my cigarettes that are left for awhile, actually stop burning...the rest don't.......

Oh yeah, I noticed that too. Always wondered why the end exploded, or the paper unraveled the way it did.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I am getting wrinkles from trying to keep the damm things lit. Who do I sue for getting a more wrinlkly face?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Start buying bagged tobacco...roll your own smokes if you still want to smoke...these new cigs are going to kill people faster then the regular tobacco will.

Im flagging this out of concern...people need to stop buying the pre packed smokes...roll you own smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop buying the smokes the gov is making for you!!!!!!!!!

Please flag this thread for awareness to all smokers to stop buying prepacked cigs.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I'll send up a flag also Leo, just started rolling my own 2 days ago.

Nearly all cigarettes sold in the U.S. are now "Fire-Safe Certified"(FSC) since it's no longer cost effective for Big Tobacco to produce both FSC and non-FSC cigarettes. On January 1, 2010 FSC laws took effect in eleven more states, bringing the total to 42 states that require all cigarettes to be FSC. This leaves Wyoming as the only state to have not yet passed FSC legislation. The FSC cigarette controversy isn't new, in fact we've been discussing the issue in our forums since the summer of '08, but many smokers are only now becoming aware of the problem. Seemingly overnight and without warning, people are noticing their cigarettes taste bad and are making them ill.

This guy says it all:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I would love to see the idea go viral that people stop buying pre packed cigs.

I think you can buy filters as well if you want to roll your own.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
YES they're more dangerous. They don't burn right. About half way through, they'll flower out and send little embers all over to burn you and your clothing.

Not cool

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

You can buy a carton of empty smokes (200) for about $2. and a 16 oz. bag (about 1-1/2 cartons worth) of decent tobacco for $20.

They last longer and I smoke less, I think because I actually have to make them myself

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

That makes sense. I would assume that rolling your own smokes would make a person smoke less.

Who would a person sue if they can prove that the carpet glue in the cig make them sick faster then the reg cig. I just dont know where they get off...people buy cig to smoke tobacco....not chemicals. This has been a issue for a long time, about chemicals being in smokes, but I hope this is what sends it all over the edge.

I am not buying the whole fire thing for the reason. I dont mean any bias thoughts towards anyone that knows of a fire from a cig left burning...but I am just not buying this as being the reason. I see it as being an excuse....to load the cig with more @#&*.

Hell if someone chooses to smoke tobacco...that is their choice, it grows from mother earth....let people be I say unless its really influencing harm to other people. These 'fire' hazards are a load of bull dookie!! Look at how many people are getting killed from Alcohol....but they aint worrying about that little hazard are they. If we really want to talk about hazards....lets talk about what is really putting harm onto others that arent choosing to partake of the habit.

Yes second hand smoke does alot of damage...I am all for it not being allowed in public indoor places and I support the idea of parents not smoking in their homes or cars. But I dont worry about getting T-boned on Friday nights while driving through the city due to smokers

Little rant there

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Luckily for me, I just quit right before all of this started. I honestly didn't even know anything about it until I went on break with a few co-workers and they were talking about it.

Looks like I quit at the right time. Good luck to all the smokers...It's always one thing after another.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
reply to post by 5 oClock

I am not buying the whole fire thing for the reason. I dont mean any bias thoughts towards anyone that knows of a fire from a cig left burning...but I am just not buying this as being the reason. I see it as being an excuse....to load the cig with more @#&*.

Hell if someone chooses to smoke tobacco...that is their choice, it grows from mother earth....let people be I say unless its really influencing harm to other people.
Yes second hand smoke does alot of damage...I am all for it not being allowed in public indoor places and I support the idea of parents not smoking in their homes or cars. But I dont worry about getting T-boned on Friday nights while driving through the city due to smokers

Little rant there

Rant on brother,

Just wait until, alcohol,pepsi, candy, coffee and any other little pleasure in life starts gettin messed with. Us evil smokers will say WTF you said we were killing ourselves now you want us to sign your petition???? Yeah i'll sign for my booze

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join