It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Remedies-

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Wife and I were talking and although she has dental and physical therapy background it really wont do much without medicines. I found a great survival book by reading these forums so figured people would have good info on this also.

I decided I would make this thread for 2 reasons. One: is there any really good links or books that you have come across that have good homeopathic remedies that would be useful in a Sit X event.

2: Do you have a list of stuff you would like to share that you know or have been passed down to you and are not common knowledge?

I could just do a google search but I really would like ones that others have found to be good and helpful. Either way I will be buying a book to have just in case for the future.

My remedy to add. If you are getting backed up sinus. Try and create a steam with salt water or at the least you can do a warm salt water gargle.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by whoshotJR]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Hey I boiled salt walter and breathed in deeply for a couple minutes and it worked like a charm... *breathes in deeply* Ahhhhh.... No more clogged nose! Imma remember that one . Thanks bro. Hey by the way i dont know any remedies but i got one thats the opposite. If you wanna get really sick so your throwing up (for whatever reason) . All you gotta do is tape a soap bar underneath each arm pit be for you go to bed and when you wake up... Trust me you will be sicker then a dog.. Knowledge is power who knows you might need that info one day

[edit on 01/19/2010 by TheAdministrator]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Yes,

As a cure or alleviation of asthma, or any breathing difficulties, dissolve eucalyptus, or a derivative, in hot water, put it in a bowl, place a towel over your head and the bowl so you are in a tent, and inhale slowly for at least 10 minutes.

link   

Originally posted by TheAdministrator
Hey I boiled salt walter and breathed in deeply for a couple minutes and it worked like a charm... *breathes in deeply* Ahhhhh.... No more clogged nose! Imma remember that one . Thanks bro. Hey by the way i dont know any remedies but i got one thats the opposite. If you wanna get really sick so your throwing up (for whatever reason) . All you gotta do is tape a soap bar underneath each arm pit be for you go to bed and when you wake up... Trust me you will be sicker then a dog.. Knowledge is power who knows you might need that info one day

Lol that is the meanest thing ever because now I want to try it but if I try it I will probably end up sicker then ever!

I need to find somebody to try that on lol.

link   
i always see this book advertised by kevin trudoe ( sorry for the misspelling) he claims his book has natural cures for everything but of course they try to shut him down cause they dont want the public to know.. i wonder whats in that book and ive come close to buying it so many times lol but as for now i have had a stuffed up nose for years im going to try the salt and boiling water .. my home cure is for sore throats gargling warm salt water takes that away (true story).

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Also rub Vicks vapour rub on the chest for alleviation of congestion.

And I mean appropriate people rubbing this on the chest before I get smart comments from the Oz boys lol.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
for athletes foot, and plantars warts and even painful calluses on your feet, you pee ON your feet.
Your urine holds the cure for what is ailing your feet.....and it does not just help a little, its a permanent CURE........
Pee on your feet in the shower as a rule, and you never have such foot problems, ever.

Cure a cough:
Rub a thick layer of VICKS VAPOR RUB on the bottoms of your feet and then put on fresh socks....and within a half hour a cough will subside. If a cough is keeping you awake this does the trick FAR BETTER than any cough drop or syrup.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Yes, that reminds me - if you are stung by a jellyfish, just hobble up the beach and shout for someone to urinate on you.

I am not kidding.

Jellyfish stings are excruciatingly painful - I had one which left a huge welt which stung and itched on and off for about a year - I wish I had asked someone to do that.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by learningtofly
Yes, that reminds me - if you are stung by a jellyfish, just hobble up the beach and shout for someone to urinate on you.

I am not kidding.

Jellyfish stings are excruciatingly painful - I had one which left a huge welt which stung and itched on and off for about a year - I wish I had asked someone to do that.

Works for the sting of sea cucumbers AND sea urchins as well

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by learningtofly

Found this book and might check it out- Looks to be a little bit of what I wanted.

~Some more I remembered or found on the net that could be useful if you can't get to medicine.

Upset stomach or indigestion? Eat a small amount of charcoal from a fire- From survivor-man.

For a bee sting you can apply bleach to it and it will hurt like a @#@#$ but then will feel better quickly. You can also use mud if you have nothing else to neutralize the venom.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Originally posted by TheAdministrator

Lol that is the meanest thing ever because now I want to try it but if I try it I will probably end up sicker then ever!

I need to find somebody to try that on lol.

Trust me it will be fun! > = D . Cant hurt to try . Lemme know how it works out for you

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
One more urine usage; you can use it to flush out deep cuts and wounds. The force of the stream helps remove debris and it's actually sterile.

My home remedy for sinus infections is to simmer plantain leaves (plantago spp) in water until it turns green. Filter, allow to cool, then place in spray bottle. 2-3 squirts each side twice a day clears it right up. I've had that work when anitbiotics would not. Plantain has very good anti-bacterial properties and is good for open sores, cuts and wounds as well. For bee stings just chew a leaf and place on sting, in 5 minutes you will forget it ever happened. Did I mention that ticks don't like plantain? Just like for the sinuses, boil some down and place in spray bottle. Squirt this liberally over shoes and pant legs (it will stain green!), this is the only non-toxic method I know for keeping even seed ticks off.
I swear this plant is amazing and grows in everyone's yard. Or if you're hungry you can just eat it.

What survival book are you referring to that you found whoshotJR?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Old cookbooks are great for this type of stuff.
I also highly recommend the Foxfire books.
You can download the 1st 3 books for free here:
Foxfire Books 1-3
Also a really great resource is the Long Lost Friend (a staple of Dutch Pennsylvanian Pow-wow) from 1820
long lost friend

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by justine093
Old cookbooks are great for this type of stuff.
I also highly recommend the Foxfire books.
You can download the 1st 3 books for free here:
Foxfire Books 1-3
Also a really great resource is the Long Lost Friend (a staple of Dutch Pennsylvanian Pow-wow) from 1820
long lost friend

Long lost friend

These aren't remedies, they're folktales.

HOW TO STOP PAIN:Take a rag which was tied over a wound for the first time. and put it in water together with some copperas;
but do not venture to stir the copperas until you are certain of the pain having left you

Or how about this one?;

A GOOD REMEDY FOR THE TOOTHACHE:
Cut out a piece of greensward (sod) in the morning before sunrise, quite unbeshrewdly from any place, breathe three times upon it, and put it down upon the same place from which it was taken.

Truly invaluable advice. If you actually bother to try any of these at home you need to seek psychiatric help

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
To add to the Sore throat remedies: Salt water did not work for me. Gargling Cayenne pepper and water and also gargling vegetable oil worked like a charm for me! Kind of gross but I learned this from a couple from India.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Three books that may save your life.

War-Time guide book for the home published 1942 by popular science publishing co. Good luck finding this one, and if you do a person willing to part with it.

Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery, she has passed away so the 10th edition will be the last I would trust.

Herbal Medicine Past and Present a reference guide to medicinal plants (illustrations leave alot to be desired, but has alot of historical information as well as recent scientifically verified information).

After the kids hit the sack tonight (if I don't fall out myself) I will let all you in on an herbal lesson from my late Great Grandma Lily.

ETA: Listen to asktheanimals...the plantain nasal spray is one of the things granny left with me that you won't find in any book (at least that I have ever seen).

[edit on 19-1-2010 by americanwoman]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Here is some info I posted on another thread. I will put it here too since this thread is really more appropriate.

Echinacea, goldenseal and meadowsweet is perennial in most of the country and pretty too. You want the roots off of the echinacea and goldenseal, tender leaves from the meadowsweet (new growth best). Careful when you get your starts of meadowsweet that you are getting the right plant it has small round heart shaped leaves and grows in a small bushy plant, but not with woody stems (best grown in damp dappled shade, also known as marsh mallow). Tuck some of these 3 plants into your front flowerbeds now and let it spread, no one will even notice.

Garlic is another must, but it is no good for concentrating. The good stuff is a result of a chemical reaction from wounding the bulb and is too unstable. You will want to plant that in Nov and harvest in June. Choose a hardneck variety as they contain more alliin which is what produces the allicin you are after once it is crushed or cut and are conveniently more winter hardy. If using garlic internally as antibiotic DO NOT HEAT, this destroys the allicin, crush or dice and consume within 10 minutes. If using as a poultice to guard against or treat external infection crush and pack directly on the wound. Replace poultice every two hours, allicin has broken down by then and is no longer useful. Also useful against fungal infection.

ETA: If using garlic as a poultice, the patient will taste it as it enters the body, that's how you know it is working. Stinky, but effective....I'll take a week's worth of garlic breath and garlic sweat over death by strep throat any day.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Echinacea and Golden Seal are both antibiotics. Meadowsweet is a pain reliever/fever reducer. It has the same chemical as white willow bark which is used to make modern aspirin, but is easier to extract for the home user because it is in leaves instead of wood. Since it is unbuffered aspirin it can cause stomach upset, never give to someone with ulcers etc. Also never give to a child under the age of 12 with the flu...it can cause Reye Syndrome.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ginger and cinnamon for stomach upset. Cinnamon especially for diarrhea in babies and toddlers.

Cough Syrup: 1 part honey, 1 part lemon juice, 1 tsp brandy

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
A SALVE TO HEAL UP WOUNDS.

Take tobacco, green or dry; if green a good handful, if dry, two ounces; together with this take a good handful of elder leaves, fry them well in butter, press it through a cloth, and you may. use it in a salve. This will heal up a wound in a short time.

Or go to a white oak tree that stands pretty well isolated, and scrape off the rough bark from the eastern side of the tree; then cut off the inner bark, break it into small pieces, and boil it until all the strength is drawn out; strain it through a piece of linen, and boil it again, until it becomes as thick as tar; then take out as much as you need, and put to it an equal proportion of sheep-tallow, rosin and wax, and work them together until they form a salve. This salve you put on a piece of linen, very thinly spread, and lay it on the wound, renewing it occasionally till the wound is healed up.

Or take a handful of parsley, pound it fine, and work it to a salve with an equal proportion of fresh butter. This salve prevents mortification and heals very fast.

Long lost friend

www.sacred-texts.com...

[edit on 20-1-2010 by justine093]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join