It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 US soldiers head to Haiti as violence intensifies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

10,000 US soldiers head to Haiti as violence intensifies

www.telegraph.co.uk

Around 10,000 American soldiers are due to arrive in Haiti to restore order to the streets as desperate earthquake survivors resort to looting and violence while aid struggles to reach them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.dailymail.co.uk... -hit-island-descends-anarchy.html
blacklistednews.com...

[edit on 17-1-2010 by enca78]

[edit on 17-1-2010 by enca78]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Chaos and fear reigned on the streets of the capital Port-au-Prince on Sunday, as many were still waiting for food, water and medicine five days after the disaster decimated the area.

Police opened fire on a group of looters, killing at least one of them, as hundreds of rioters ransacked a supermarket.

Well i think ive seen what happens next?????

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Come on what the hell did anyone expect? Haiti is an overpopulated cess pool of corruption and ignorance. The international community needs to let the chips fall where they may. People NEED to die. The ENTIRE world population needs to be reduced by half. If we don't allow some aspect of natural selection in this world we are ALL doomed in the end. Our children and the children of Haiti will never make it if we don't let nature take it's course sometimes. That's not to say let Haiti suffer but you also can't let a country like Haiti continue to breed and overpopulate or a natural correction WILL HAPPEN! People nowadays live in a goddamn bubble. They think life is all lollipops and puppy dogs. It's NOT! We live by the laws of nature no matter how comfortable and technologically advanced our lives become. God is nature and nature is god's will. You either learn to adapt to nature or you perish. Simple as that. Haitians have not learned to adapt. So their population will be reduced.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Gangs of men on Boulevard Jean-Jacques Dessalines, their faces covered with bandannas to mask both their identity and the smell of decaying bodies, brandished machetes and sharpened planks of wood as they ran from shop to shop stealing shoes, rolls of carpet and cooking pots

And that is has what to do with lack of food and water?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It is hoped that armed American troops will quell the unrest when they arrive, but it is unclear exactly when that will be. Canada has also promised to send 1,000 troops to support the relief effort, in addition to the 500 already there.

Looks like the only nations providing security assistance to this disaster are the U.S. and Canada. Where's the other U.N. nations with their assistance?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Looks like the only nations providing security assistance to this disaster are the U.S. and Canada. Where's the other U.N. nations with their assistance?

Busy in dust-bowl countries, stealing oil from the ground.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

The uk will surely follow now that the us has

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety

Busy in dust-bowl countries, stealing oil from the ground.

Is that what the German, French, British, and rest of the U.N. member countries' militaries are up to?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

It is hoped that armed American troops will quell the unrest when they arrive, but it is unclear exactly when that will be. Canada has also promised to send 1,000 troops to support the relief effort, in addition to the 500 already there.

Here's a list of countries that have personnel in Haiti as part of the United Nations Stabilisation Mission in Haiti.

---snip---

Countries contributing military personnel (as of February 2009; 7,039 in all):

Argentina (558), Bolivia (208), Brazil (1,282), Canada (5), Chile (499), Croatia (3), Ecuador (67), France (2), Guatemala (118), Jordan (728), Nepal (1,075), Paraguay (31), Peru (209), the Philippines (157), Sri Lanka (959), United States (4), and Uruguay (1,135).[49][50]

Countries contributing police/civilian personnel (as of February 2009; 2,031 in all):

Benin (32), Brazil (4), Burkina Faso (26), Cameroon (8), Canada (94), Central African Republic (7), Chad (3), Chile (15), China (143), Colombia (7), Côte D'Ivoire (60), DR Congo (2), Egypt (22), El Salvador (7), France (64), Grenada (3), Guinea (55), India (139), Italy (4), Jamaica (5), Jordan (312), Madagascar (2), Mali (55), Nepal (168), Niger (62), Nigeria (128), Pakistan (248), Philippines (18), Romania (23), Russian Federation (10), Rwanda (14), Senegal (131), Serbia (5), Spain (41), Sri Lanka (7), Togo (5), Turkey (46), United States (48), Uruguay (7), and Yemen (1).[49][50]

---snip---

Looks like the South Americans are pretty big contributors according to that list. It's great that the US and Canada are stepping up their aid during this disaster, but I think it's important not to ignore the contributions of smaller, poorer nations as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Why doesn't the UN send peacekeepers as opposed to individual countries just sending troops?

Are U.N peacekeepers limited in what they can do?

Then again what are American troops going to do to keep the peace if the Haitians aren't intimidated?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Gangs of men on Boulevard Jean-Jacques Dessalines, their faces covered with bandannas to mask both their identity and the smell of decaying bodies, brandished machetes and sharpened planks of wood as they ran from shop to shop stealing shoes, rolls of carpet and cooking pots

And that is has what to do with lack of food and water?

Not to worry, the war-hardened green machine is on the way. Plus, I believe there was a report that a prison complex was damaged and a bunch of criminals funneled into the streets among the victims of the quake. They are most likely the ones looting for shoes, carpets, and cooking pots.

Criminals love events like this because it gives them the opportunity to indulged their sociopathic tendencies in the break down of law and order. A fine example would be after Katrina and the thugs of the 1930's during the Depression and Prohibition. I am not surprised by this story, as you are. However, I think this kind of thing is going to stop once 10,000 battle tested soldiers and Marines arrive to police the streets and restore order.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
*whispers* ... isn't Haiti next to Cuba?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm glad the US is sending troops to help, and I hope it does help the situation, instead of making worse.

But I have to wonder though, where are they getting 10,000 troops? I thought the Army was stretched to its' limit with Iraq and Afghanistan. So who are they sending? People that just came back from deployment overseas?

Or am I severally misinformed here?

Edit: Ok, so I kind of went looking to see if there was a mention, anywhere, of where the American troops would be coming from. Most places seem to be reporting the same thing.

From Yahoo!News:

US troops reach Haiti amid fears of unrest

The United States is deploying as many as 10,000 troops to Haiti over the next few days, although many will remain on an armada of naval vessels gathering offshore, led by the aircraft carrier USS Vinson, the Pentagon said.

Massive US ship nears Haiti to join relief effort

The Toussaint Louverture International Airport, the hub of a ballooning international relief effort, is brimming with air force transports from a dozen nations unloading humanitarian and military supplies on the tarmac.

The nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson also arrived in the Caribbean nation equipped with 19 helicopters, a water-purification plant and carrying tons of medicines.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by riddle6]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by enca78

Thanks for posting your interesting article, enca78

I've been following that aspect as closely as is possible through the MSM from here.

This was inevitable & it's going to get worse.

It's all a great shame.

I wish the US forces well, as they commence the incredibly tricky job of trying to sort things out a little.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Its events like this and the event of Katrina that really give a small insight into what would happen if such things happened on a global scale, some kind of global event.

Aftermath would be horrific.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Snappahead

It's great those countries have permanent security commitments to and personnel in Haiti, but what about emergency security assistance? There are more countries in the U.N. that have the capability & means of providing emergency security assistance to Haiti than the U.S. and Canada, aren't there?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Deleted.

Double post.

[edit on 1/17/10 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Come on people.

The US is the closest Global Power. It's practically right next door. The Haitian Government is for all practical purposes DEAD. Not everything is a conspiracy. Their "Airport" is Tiny. Things are backed up. If the Haitians want to loot and kill each other there isn't much that can be done with a now defunct Haitian Government.

I can't wait till the headlines come out about how some Poor Hungry Haitians were killed by the big bad evil American Soldiers. You know it's coming. Meanwhile the soldiers will be caught in the middle while they are attempting to distribute food to the injured, hungry and homeless Children.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thank You

Saying it all week... Cruise missile shot away from Venezuela too

There are no coincidences in this world imho

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Come on people.

The US is the closest Global Power. It's practically right next door. The Haitian Government is for all practical purposes DEAD. Not everything is a conspiracy. Their "Airport" is Tiny. Things are backed up. If the Haitians want to loot and kill each other there isn't much that can be done with a now defunct Haitian Government.

I can't wait till the headlines come out about how some Poor Hungry Haitians were killed by the big bad evil American Soldiers. You know it's coming. Meanwhile the soldiers will be caught in the middle while they are attempting to distribute food to the injured, hungry and homeless Children.

G'day SLAYER69

I agree with your post......

Well stated

Your thoughts mirror my own.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join