It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neb. bill would tie welfare benefits to drug tests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Neb. bill would tie welfare benefits to drug tests

hosted.a p.org

Fremont Sen. Charlie Janssen's bill would require the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services to develop a plan to test welfare recipients and applicants for drugs. Anyone who tests positive would lose benefits for one year.

Janssen said he thinks the measure would help make sure that welfare benefits are helping people improve their lives instead of just providing handouts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Finally... a Politician that is actually thinking and listening to the people. Hopefully, this becomes a growing trend if this passes. We could certainly use it all over the United States. I would like to see a report for the first year to see how much tax dollars are saved by this!

Politicians need to start thinking outside the box and listen to the people more. This is the only way we are going to be able to get this great country back on it's feet again.

hosted.a p.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Good.

I hate lazy people.

Of course there will never be enough jobs for everyone and people need to be competitive...but if you can not fit in the niche of responsibility you are not what society needs.

I practically work full time and go to school. Where is my welfare check for busting ass!

Oh thats right, it is for people who cry, moan, do drugs, etc etc.

Disclaimer: Do not be naive and think I believe 100% of people on welfare are like this. I do believe a crap load are.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Got my support. And while we're at it can we figure out a way to not reward welfare single moms producing extra children to gain more money per month? It's a sensitive area but it needs some attention.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I agree with this... although I am one to have to think this can cause a slippery slope to other issues.

However, as a previous poster said... I hate lazy people.

This is a good idea. Lets hope the politicians don't take advantage of such a good idea.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Although I'm somewhat negative about the privacy issues here I suppose if you want to get a handout it can come with conditions. tough luck!
What really gets me is when you see people using wic checks for their food driving away in shiny ford explorer.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Great, more drug paranoia.. like the two are mutually exclusive; as if people using plants of their choice prohibits them from looking for or finding a job.. ridiculous.

Alcohol is the worst most destructive drug available, but I'll bet they don't test for that..

Politicians live off the public dole, when will their livelihood depend on drug tests?.. If anyone should be tested it should be the political class... they're the ones addicted to spending $$ they don't have and killing innocent people with wars... driving this nation like a sloppy drunk head on into a pit.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
So when are the bankers going to be tested?

And the lawmakers, and the cops?

After all, they receive public money too. They seem to keep forgetting that.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

There is some truth to what you say.........however, I don't think allowing people using drugs to be on the dole is o.k. Using money given to you, by the government, to buy drugs is one of the reasons for these people to be on welfare. I don't want to debate the drug war here, or whether or not this contributes to it, fact is people use the money to buy drugs....not better themselves.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This is the first piece of legislation I have seen in years that actually makes sense.
Nebraska!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

I would like to see a report for the first year to see how much tax dollars are saved by this!

ZERO!

Because whatever money is saved here will merely be spent on some other government project.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
that is some ridiculous shi* right there just another waste of tax payers money pity you guys supporting this dumb crap

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

I'm all for this as long as they include in the testing:

1. Politicians.
2. Cops.
3. Teachers.
4. Airline Pilots.
5. Congress - Especially congress.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
in 2012 when Ron Paul takes office as President all this useless crap will be done away with so keep wishing

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
There is another group of lazy people who are taking public money that need to be tested for drugs and alcohol. POLITICIANS. Politicians need to be tested randomly for drugs and they need to blow a breathalyzer every time they come back from lunch. I definitely do not want my legislators legislating while impaired.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Too late they been doing it for years and it will always continue

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Got my support. And while we're at it can we figure out a way to not reward welfare single moms producing extra children to gain more money per month? It's a sensitive area but it needs some attention.

There have been caps on this for about two decades now. Any new children do not get added to the cash case.

So much for not having stereotypes and preconceived notions.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OpTiMuS_PrImE

I do not believe it. I have never heard of any politician being tested.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Never said they got tested implied they do what they want and you will never have a say so in it, they will never get drug tested

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
Great, more drug paranoia.. like the two are mutually exclusive; as if people using plants of their choice prohibits them from looking for or finding a job.. ridiculous.

They can't use my tax money on plants. Get it?

Alcohol is the worst most destructive drug available, but I'll bet they don't test for that..

I agree that would be a wonderful idea.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join