It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Colder In America, Than At Both Poles!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

The South Pole is the coldest place on Earth -- just take a look at the most recent images from the webcam at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, which captures a new picture of those freezing conditions every 15 minutes. But at present, it's merely -12 Fahrenheit.

The North Pole is normally significantly warmer than the South, but it's a chilly -17 up there right now, a temperature that must sound positively Caribbean to anyone living in, say, Bismark, North Dakota (-33 Fahrenheit at present).

Wind chills across the United States are bringing our sub-freezing temperatures as low as 50 degrees below zero, making large swaths of the country substantially colder than either pole.

It's colder from Dallas to Denver than it is at the South pole. North and South Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa are recording temps ranging from 5 down to -18; With the wind chill, it feels -17 F in Topeka, Kansas. Even Memphis sits at 10 degrees, and around 0 with the wind chill. Temps at Sun Studios shouldn't feel like the South Pole.

The National Weather Service continually monitors weather conditions at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station in Antarctica, where it's currently -7 Fahrenheit. The mean temperature last year at Antarctica's South Pole was -54 Fahrenheit. The highest temperature ever recorded at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station was 7.5 F on Dec. 27, 1978, while the lowest was −117 F on Jun. 23, 1982. Brrr!

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration operates a North Pole webcam, deployed on an ice floe at the Pole. NOAA shuts down the cam over the winter due to the winter darkness, which lasts from October to March. In the dark of winter today, it's currently -17.

Brace yourself for a cold and blustery winter here at home ... or maybe pay a visit to balmy Antarctica.

This has never happened in recorded history!!

SOURCE

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites, please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, and your opinion on the information as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 1/9/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
-18 below and dropping here in Fargo.

Overnight: Mostly clear, with a low around -22. Wind chill values as low as -39. South wind between 5 and 7 mph.

I'm from the "Ice Box of The Nation" (Int'l Falls, Mn), and back in 1988 when I was a senior in High School, we were on the lake and a thermometer at a cabin read -52F, with no wind what so ever.

Cold sucks.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rokrep69

If you think the cold sucks you are definitaly in the wrong state. Here in Jacksonville, Florida it is 32 and on the weather they are telling parents how to dress their kids adequately and what to do when it reaches 32. I have not seen kids leaving their house to play and very few people go jogging unless they are dressed like it is Fargo. People start wearing Alaska sweaters at 50! I personally love the cold as long as my skin is not exposed(except face and ears) I can tolerate the cold very well. The other night I walked outside and it was 19 and I wore a pair of jeans, socks and shoes, a t-shirt, and a light sweater and I was walking around and was quite warm, I even considered taking off the sweater. I have to say this is the coldest I have every felt in my life being born and raised here but can't wait to get out of 'God's waiting room' because of the weather and that in the local newspaper there is literally only 4 or 5 jobs in a city of 810,000 people!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Last night, it was 11 degrees here in the DFW region with a windchill of 5. This is ridiculous cold for Texas.

+29 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Good thing global warming made snow and cold winters things of the past.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

You guys should all move to sunny Adelaide, South Australia to take the chill out of your bones ... it's 5:30pm and the temp has started to drop ... it's currently dropped from 41c earlier in the day, down to 40c

[edit on 9/1/10 by tauristercus]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Maybe it's global warming causing these drastic tempratures?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yup, Global Climatic Change is definitely a myth fabricated by greedy scientists eager for more grant money from the governments of the world. It's perfectly normal for temperatures to be colder the further you get from the polar caps.

In your face Al Gore!

Oh, wait...it supposed to be colder the further you get from the equator, not the poles? Oops! I guess even Fox News can be wrong sometimes.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by fraterormus]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

and
SuperSlovak

Maybe it's global warming causing these drastic tempratures?

Its Climate Change now Not Global Warming. and to SuperSlovak maybe its just the earth doing what she does best...

And as I remember right they said yrs back that the winters would be getting warming and warmer and warmer Yet here we are in a deep freeze.. Isnt that something?

You cant have it both ways, either we are getting to warm or we are not... Or we are just seeing temps that the earth gives us and that is that. I vote the latter.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
As of 5 minutes ago, here in southwest CT, outside thermometer registered as 37 degrees. but around here, its not until February when its the coldest, at night, usualy being around 17-19 degrees.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I vote none of the above. Earths dynamic stability systems are being run a muck by our interferences. We're nearly seven billion strong. We're on every continent, tankers in every ocean and sea, satellites in the sky, factories within a hundred miles of nearly anywhere. It's a combination of effects that the best weather models can't even begin to fathom. They can't even get the weather right for the next 24 hours here in Texas!

I doubt this is solely humanities fault, but equally doubt it's just solar. We may be tipping a large, natural cycle off just a bit too far. You can only lose so many fish out the ocean before irreparable damage occurs, which causes cascading effects that impact the whole ecosystem. This is just one variable in how we're impacting things.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Around 10 here in southern Oklahoma currently. Lower in areas.

I had ice in my sink this morning. Bad deal

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield
Good thing global warming made snow and cold winters things of the past.

Good thing this is exactly what will happen with global warming/climate change. Your summers will be hotter and your winters get colder but your overall average for the year will continue to rise.

The added melt off from glaciers will mix with the currents and mess up the way the water flows and goes from cold to warm. This will have a major change to the weather and plunge us into a mini ice age as we see average temps drop.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Is anyone else getting really, really tired of all the "Oh boy, it's a good thing global warming is making snow stop!" crap? I'm no scientist. i can't say for sure whether or not there's global climate change occurring, largely because I don't know how it's supposed to work and don't care to learn in detail, since science isn't really my field. But for Eris's sake people, anyone who bothers to do even the lightest interrogation into the topic knows that it's not as simple as "everything gets hotter!"

Back on topic; it could be worse here in Colorado. 31 Farenheit; feels like 18. We do worse pretty often. It's only gonna get down to 15 F tonight. Downright balmy sometimes.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Global Warming was a load of BS... there is no global warming..

The climate does not even know people are on the planet..we have nothing to do with the weather. We just pollute with chemicals and trash.

We are headed into another mini (or maybe maxi) ice age. Get ready, because either this year or next there will be no summer, crops will fail and there will be a global food panic. Millions will starve to death.

Anger will break out at the idiots that diverted attention from the real problem with their global warming plot to make money off "carbon credits" and Al Gore and his pack of "warmists" will be attacked.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
Global Warming was a load of BS... there is no global warming..

The climate does not even know people are on the planet..we have nothing to do with the weather. We just pollute with chemicals and trash.

We are headed into another mini (or maybe maxi) ice age. Get ready, because either this year or next there will be no summer, crops will fail and there will be a global food panic. Millions will starve to death.

Anger will break out at the idiots that diverted attention from the real problem with their global warming plot to make money off "carbon credits" and Al Gore and his pack of "warmists" will be attacked.

Wanna bet? I'd give you good odds on every one of your, ahem, predictions.....

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

So what you mean to tell me is that as the earth gets warmer it will cause it to get colder? Really? Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield
reply to post by whoshotJR

So what you mean to tell me is that as the earth gets warmer it will cause it to get colder? Really? Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

There's a vast difference between "sounds" and "is". Go read some GENUINE work on climate change, instead of those annoying excuses to make jokes about the fact that it's still snowing and say "Hurr hurr, Al Gore's an idiot".

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
My relatives are up in Milwaukee and I know it's pretty cold there (by my standards) so I really hope you guys in the US keep warm and safe..

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

I make my predictions based on the lack of Sunspots. Last summer I predicted a real kick-ass winter and we are getting it. The Sun is still not generating any sunspots...so the Earth continues to get exposed to a huge increase in cosmic radiation. The cosmic rays interact with water vapor in the atmosphere and form clouds which reflect the Sun's heat back into space. Also the clouds mean increased rainfall.

IF the Sun kicks back in and the sunspots increase back to pre 2008 levels then that changes everything...BUT if it continues as it is now... the weather will change fast and my predictions will be very close if not dead on. The Sun shows no sign of waking up. There was basicly no summer last year in New England..and I am already seeing stories about dismal crop yields in the Midwest due to abnormally high rainfall. This along with predictions already of shortages and increased food prices in the spring.

The historical record shows that these changes to extreme cold do not happen over a long period of time. It shows that the last time the switch came in a year or two and lasted 1200 years. I believe we are at or near the tipping point. I am not alone in my beliefs but it seems that blaming CO2 and trading carbon credits to save the environment is a lot more saleable and sexier than telling people they are all going to either freeze or starve to death, or in Al Gore's case be bar-b-qued and eaten by an angry crowd of starving people.

Store food...buy blankets...arm yourself... Its gonna get cold and mean.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join