It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eclipses Yield First Images of Elusive Iron Line in Solar Corona

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
GREENBELT, Md. -- Solar physicists attempting to unlock the mysteries of the solar corona have found another piece of the puzzle by observing the sun’s outer atmosphere during eclipses.

Ground-based observations reveal the first images of the solar corona in the near-infrared emission line of highly ionized iron, or Fe XI 789.2 nm. The observations were taken during total solar eclipses in 2006, 2008, and 2009 by astrophysicist Adrian Daw of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., with an international team of scientists led by Shadia Habbal from the University of Hawaii’s Institute for Astronomy (IfA).

"The first image of the corona in Fe XI 789.2 nm was taken during the total solar eclipse of March 29, 2006," said Daw.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59101b56fd70.jpg[/atsimg]

These images of the solar corona are color overlays of the emission from highly ionized iron lines for the 2006 eclipse (left column) and 2008 eclipse (right column), with white-light images added in the bottom row. Red indicates iron line Fe XI 789.2 nm, blue represents iron line Fe XIII 1074.7 nm, and green shows iron line Fe XIV 530.3 nm. These are the first such maps of the 2-D distribution of coronal electron temperature and ion charge state.

www.nasa.gov...

Comparisons and more photos at the link, these are beautiful photos aside from the technical aspect.

The scientists’ results will be presented at the American Astronomical Society meeting on January 4 in Washington and published in the January issue of the Astrophysical Journal.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Nice find!

Its always good to see science at work unlocking the mysteries of the universe in a positive and uplifting way.

Star and flag for you!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So if there is iron present, what does that have to say for the Electric Universe Theory?

How much of the sun contains iron?

I don't really know who is right about how the sun works
Here's a theory,
www.thesurfaceofthesun.com...

Fusion or Plasma?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

Interesting article, as far as who is right, they are theory and we just don't know, the possibilities are numerous, maybe one day we will know but not in our lifetime.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
So if there is iron present, what does that have to say for the Electric Universe Theory?

How much of the sun contains iron?

I don't really know who is right about how the sun works
Here's a theory,
www.thesurfaceofthesun.com...

Fusion or Plasma?

An interesting idea I read conscerning the Electric Sun included Fusion on the Sun. It discussed Charge Sheath Vortices, basically enormous tornadoes of plasma on the Sun that caused fusion through the classic pressure and heat, a cool idea but was still only in infancy when I read it.

Absolutely beautiful pics and an interesting article although most of it is way over my head. This did catch my eye.

The images revealed some surprises. Most notably, that the emission extends out at least three solar radii -- that’s one-and-a-half times the sun’s width at its equator, or middle -- above the surface of the sun, and that there are localized regions of enhanced density for these iron ions.

www.nasa.gov...

It does seem to be in great supply in the Sun.

EMM

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Fission/fusion reactions occur in the Sun and this works fine with an electric Universe theory. Iron is said to be the heaviest element that is created by these reactions and after that heavier elements, like gold, are created out of supernovas. The gold in the ring on your finger was created by an exploding star.

Plasma acts like liquid electricity.
Ion particles are created with electricity, the sun's solar wind.
Electric currents and magnetism always occur in conjunction with each other, never alone.
EM waves are also a product of an electrical interaction within the Sun.
The effects of the Sun on everything within the solar system is an electrical/magnetic interaction. I don't see the problem some have with the electric Universe theory, it fits in with all the evidence so very well.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I really don't see how the Standard Gravity Theory and the Electric Universrse theory can't co-exist.
To many people believe it to be one or the other, not both.

Both theories make sense to me.

There is nothing more baffling and brain exploding than the Universe, everything about it blows my mind and hurts my brain.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
I really don't see how the Standard Gravity Theory and the Electric Universrse theory can't co-exist.
To many people believe it to be one or the other, not both.

Both theories make sense to me.

There is nothing more baffling and brain exploding than the Universe, everything about it blows my mind and hurts my brain.

One of the main points of the Electric model is not that the standard model is wrong. Just wrong in it's ascersion that Gravity is the main driving force, for the Electric model, it is an effect, rather than the cause. Now to be honest this is a big stipulation, but still, I agree they could both work together very well.

EMM

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Their concepts of stellar formulation and evolution are different and incompatible.

Electric-universe apologists cannot accept an expanding universe.

There are many other such incompatibilities.

[edit on 9/1/10 by Astyanax]

new topics

top topics

join