It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts: Cold snap doesn't disprove global warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Beijing had its coldest morning in almost 40 years and its biggest snowfall since 1951. Britain is suffering through its longest cold snap since 1981. And freezing weather is gripping the Deep South, including Florida's orange groves and beaches.

Whatever happened to global warming?

Such weather doesn't seem to fit with warnings from scientists that the Earth is warming because of greenhouse gases. But experts say the cold snap doesn't disprove global warming at all — it's just a blip in the long-term heating trend.

Small part of the article above-

www.comcast.net...

I was going to put in the news forum but it kept giving me an error message.

It almost feels like we could just slip into a scenario from the movie a day after tomorrow.

Man made or not the world is doing some crazy stuff with the weather. I hope people are prepared with more then 3 days worth of food in their home in case any really bad storms break out and you cant get to stores.

Stay safe and enjoy the article.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The climate model for the last few thousand years shows trends of warming and cooling over and over and over again. Up down up down up down up down up down etc.

I think we will soon see sharp global cooling.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Really though, isn't it Climate Change?

Therefore if we have ridiculous temperatures on both sides of the scale isn't that further proof that our Climate is changing drastically?

Regardless of the reasons, and as posted above the models show extensive cooling and heating over a period of time.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
The climate model for the last few thousand years shows trends of warming and cooling over and over and over again. Up down up down up down up down up down etc.

I think we will soon see sharp global cooling.
I agree that this is definatly a possibility. It could go either way IMO (not a very well read "IMO" I must add) We are seeing hotter summers, and the more sun there is in the summer, the more water will evaporate and become clouds. The more clouds there are, the more chance there is of it dumping a load upside ya heed. Be it rain or snow, depends on the weather at the time. I guess the gulf stream is playing a big part at the moment, it's pushing the warm air down, and the cold air is coming up and over into Europe (from America, we usually get your snow after you've had it)

A blip, or a turning point in climate change? I'm not knowlageable enough to answer that, but I do know that this should be watched, and people should start being more prepared. (note to self
)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Experts: Cold snap doesn't disprove global warming

No why would it?preposterous!

[edit on 7-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well, guys, all things being equal (sun doesn't go kaputt, yellowstone go boom etc) even Yazz in the 1980s knew the score for the long-term:

ABE: I noted that my little friend Charlie Darwin likes this song.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yeah but aren't the climate models based on averages for long time periods?
I mean, i'm not disputing you, just that when we have a cold snap or heat wave it harldy proves or disproves the skeptics or proponents of global warming.

That is because global warming proponents postulate the world's average temperature rise...

Sure I don't mind debating global warming with anyone, but am I the only one that gets frustrated whenever the temperature fluctuates, be it seasonal or other confounding factors, and all the hoons crawl out and say "SEE global warming!" or "SEE global warmings wrong!"???

I suppose that the difference between the proponents/skeptics and the alarmists/deniers...

EDIT: Sorry DaMod, that entire post wasnt directed at you, at some point I went into a general rant....

[edit on 7/1/10 by countercounterculture]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Ice melting equals global warming. Ice forming equals global warming. So TPTB say that it's global warming, and that is that. We have no need to debate it any more, I guess.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
You cannot believe any of the temperature charts the so called climate scientists are putting out. They baked the numbers, massaged the data to get the results they wanted and have temperature monitoring devices in ridiculous places.

Man made Global Warming is a large load of pure BS

Watch the Sun... if it continues its trend of no sunspots it will get cold..very cold. What is happening now is definitely climate change but it is not caused by global warming. It is because the Sun since early 2008 has entered a quiet period and shows no signs of waking up. Buy blankets, store food, prepare for summers with no summer and massive crop failures. You may need to bar-b-que your favorite "warmist idiot" in order to survive.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368 You may need to bar-b-que your favorite "warmist idiot" in order to survive.
And we were forced to eat Robin's minstrels.....Yay!
I love how the AGW crowd will not allow for any variation in the Sun's energy output. That is the biggest variable in the equation! Right on.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Originally posted by expat2368
You cannot believe any of the temperature charts the so called climate scientists are putting out. They baked the numbers, massaged the data to get the results they wanted and have temperature monitoring devices in ridiculous places.

Man made Global Warming is a large load of pure BS

You mean the same climate scientists who demonstrated the Solar Forcing of Climate?

it has been clear that the solar "constant" does, in fact, vary

Man those guys at the IPCC really are a naughty bunch... They tricked me about global warming and you about solar variation!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
And exactly why do we refer to them as "experts"?

(crowd roars with laffter)

—Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by countercounterculture

Then they should quit harping about miniscule amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere and start telling us to contribute to the fund to pay for the installation of a giant thermostat on the Sun.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You mean thats not what Copenhagen was about?

I should really watch MSM once in a while...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by countercounterculture

You mean thats not what Copenhagen was about?

I should really watch MSM once in a while...
Gave up on that a while ago, no thanks. You should listen to all that you hear on any media outlet..... carbon taxes, carbon credits, carbon, carbon, carbon.... you haven't heard any of that?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sure the current cold snap could just be a blip in the long term trends.

Just as the dramatic drop of global temperatures in 2008 could be just a blip.

Just as the lack of any clear warming trend for the past 7 - 8 years could be just a blip.

But it's starting to add up to a whole lot of blips...

(And don't even get me started on CLimategate
)

[edit on 7-1-2010 by MrVertigo]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

OH yeah, like carbon fiber and carbon print.. yep yep yep, used alot of that when we was building the death star...

IMHO it seems we may have strayed a little off topic

So here some enlightened scientific response to the issue at hand:

Originally posted by melatonin
Well, guys, all things being equal (sun doesn't go kaputt, yellowstone go boom etc) even Yazz in the 1980s knew the score for the long-term:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yeah, the MMGW hoaxters are fleeing from Al Gore and Copenhagen like rats from a sinking tugboat. The jig is up! Head for the hills! But we'll be baaack! We'll be baaaaaaaack.......

(crowd roars approval as hoaxters are consumed in a sparkling fountain of blue ice)

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/7/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrVertigo
Sure the current cold snap could just be a blip in the long term trends.

Just as the dramatic drop of global temperatures in 2008 could be just a blip.

Just as the lack of any clear warming trend for the past 7 - 8 years could be just a blip.

But it's starting to add up to a whole lot of blips...

(And don't even get me started on CLimategate:lol
ccculture: I think MrVertigo summed it up nicely for us, Thank You MrVertigo!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Guys... If somebody brought you to Siberia during the summer, you'd find it pretty hot by any standard... Would you ridicule people who tell you that this is actually one of the coldest places on Earth in winter? Second only to a spot in Antarctica... Below freezing point of CO2...

But of course a few simpleton trolls will have a fest on this one...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join