It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General McChrystal: ‘We are going to win’ in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

n a New Year's Day interview, the commander of NATO coalition forces in Afghanistan offered an optimistic message about the chances for military success prior to a planned drawdown of US combat forces beginning in July 2011.

"I believe that over the next year to 18 months that we’re going to be able to decisively change the perception of momentum and gains by the insurgents," General Stanley McChrystal told the military newspaper Stars and Stripes by phone from Kabul.

McChrystal defined victory as a situation where "the insurgency is not an existential threat to the government or the people” of Afghanistan" and asserted that allied forces "are not winning yet, but we are going to win."

Sadly I think this statement by Gen. McChrystal is nothing more than public relation spin to continue the failed policies of this war and I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. It is apparent to me that by staying in this conflict and adding more troops will only prolong this war indefinitely; which is what I think is precisely what the ptb want.
1984 is upon us. The lessons the Russians learned has been ignored by our strategist and leaders in the arrogant quest of profit in blood.

God help us!!

[edit on 2-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
sadly the only ones that are going to win are the companies that are profitiering from the war anyone on the ground is sadly expendable

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I don't doubt for a minute that we can win. We have the capabilities, unfortunately I feel you are correct. As long as we have people making money from it, and we're willing to play the political correctness game, we're screwed.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
What, exactly, is there to "win" there? Seems to me it would take a massive amount of money to provide the kind of infrastructure needed to maintain any level of control and standard of living.

We have spent long enough there, and I seriously doubt we'll "win".

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

We have to say this...

How else will we be permitted to move on to Yemen?

Link.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
What's the difference between the Afghanistan war and the war on terror?!
The spin-off is coming soon.. Yemen 2010.

Loam is right, once we consider this to be resolved it makes moving to Yemen
much easier.

It's almost like a NWO is already here. We argue and debate over this elite
and shadowy figures running the world, but isn't this what's happening
already?!

Globe trotting and policing all to protect you in Akron, OH and all points in the
U.S.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Sadly, whaaa, this is the same McChrystal who fed the lie about the death of Pat Tillman. He may be surrounded by the latest military hardware and special operations forces, but he is afraid of Truth. This may be nothing more than a "tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Unless there is an equal diplomatic push, with all the possibility of negotiations with the Taliban, McChrystal's vision of an end to this massive (military) failure in Afghanistan is just cheerleading. The Afghanis need stability with dignity and respect. If we have other intentions, then we need to be open and honest about them.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think McChrystal is just partaking in some 'happy talk'.

Think of him what you will, but the man is no dummy. He knows there is a very good reason why Alexander the Great, called it the "Graveyard of Empires."

[edit on 2-1-2010 by mckyle]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It's all in the wording:

"I believe that over the next year to 18 months that we’re going to be able to decisively change the perception of momentum and gains by the insurgents,"

Changing the perception of momentum is not actually changing the events, but how those events are perceived. Or, to put it another way, we're gonna carry on painting a rosy picture while a lot more people die - just so we can be perceived to be doing our job.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
There is no such thing as 'win' in Afghanistan. Due to the geographical area and the tribal nature of the population.
But maybe I am misunderstanding 'win'.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I think that General McChrystal had too much Eggnog with rum this holidays, perhaps when he comes out of his hangover he will not be so wishful.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
rawstory.com...

McChrystal defined victory as a situation where "the insurgency is not an existential threat to the government or the people” of Afghanistan" and asserted that allied forces "are not winning yet, but we are going to win.

Didn't someone say that to Adolf Hitler when he was in his Berlin bunker a few days before he shot himself in the head?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Can any body tells me what are we going to win ?
Take deep breath...... It's all about OIL & POWER period .

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

I studied the Madrid bombing ,the bombing of London 7/7 and
9/11 and I DID FIND ONE SINGLE EVIDENCE THAT TELLS ME IT'S
THE WORK OF CAVE PEOPLE including the FBI web site.
I THINK I REST MY CASE !

top topics

join