It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developing: Suspicious Vehicle Shuts Down Times Square ~ All Clear/No Bomb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Developing: Suspicious Vehicle Shuts Down Times Square

wcbstv.com

The NYPD has closed down part of Manhattan's Times Square in response to a report of a suspicious vehicle, CBS 2 HD has learned.

Police blocked off Broadway at 42nd Street just after 11 a.m. Wednesday to investigate a white 1992 Dodge van with tinted windows that has been parked at the location for two days.

The NYPD's emergency service unit and bomb squad have positioned themselves around the vehicle, which is parked on the west side of the street between 41st and 42nd.

The van has temporary plates and a tarp is covering the windows, police say.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/30/2009 by x2Strongx]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Looks like people are a little bit more paranoid right now, which is a good thing. Watch out for anything suspicious.

With New Years Eve right around the corner, we need to be on alert.

Personally, I'm going to stay at home on New Years Eve. Be with the ones that I love.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. I just hope it ends well.

wcbstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Or maybe someon simply just abandoned the piece of junk thier..hell where i live, suburban city, cars get abanonded almsot all the time* i see them driving, with those orange stickers on the window..moreso abandoned jsut past downtown in the industrial part of city.
who knows, could be CIA's or pentagons plan to make something happen, scare everyone a little for political reasons.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I don't see this as paranoia.

It's been there for two days and has a temp plate, tinted windows, in a place where one of the worlds biggest events is getting ready to take place. I'd want it checked out too.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
oh man, i should go there (only a few minute train ride.) and investigate this.

oh man, my family from Italy is in town for the holidays staying at a hotel not to far from there. eeep. i hope this is just a harmless van.

please post updates.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
they've cordoned off most of times square around the NASDAQ building. NASDAQ is being evacuated and the bomb squad is setting up to send in their robot.

This is taking place a few blocks north from here and I walk right thru the area each morning, and night, on my way to and from the office. I'm wondering if I've passed said van.

A scary day today. We had a fire in the building next door to mine earlier. An old hotel that is being torn down had a small fire that provided some viewing entertainment and now this bomb scare which will, invariably, make the commute home hellish.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
cnn just showed some guy presumed to be law enforcement walk up, look in the back windows then back away..

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Currently, I'm about 10-12 blocks away from Timesquare. Just for people who aren't NY citybound I will give a brief explanation of the overall atmosphere here. It's quite desolate. I'm assuming that a lot of people have left the city for the holidays, as this area gets absolutely bat poop insane as the year ends. Plus, vans that fit that description, absolutely should be investigated.

Where are all of the twitter feeds?

Edit: For clarification, I'm unfamiliar with TS's atmosphere. I'm only talking about the lower east side and the surrounding neighborhoods.

Also, I wasn't really aware that there are so many nyc ats members. Good to know. Keep in touch friends.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by patmac]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by patmac

desolate? where are you? it's crowded as hell to me. my normal walks thru Times Square each night have been hellacious. elbow to elbow with the tourists. My wife took the kids there on Monday with their cousins and she said she'd never seen it so crowded.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by patmac

desolate? where are you? it's crowded as hell to me. my normal walks thru Times Square each night have been hellacious. elbow to elbow with the tourists. My wife took the kids there on Monday with their cousins and she said she'd never seen it so crowded.

Oops. update was too late. Check my previous post for the clarification.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

yea, i drove through there last night, and it was a mad house. times square during this time of the year desolate? that's hard to believe.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I just heard on the radio that they are allowing NASDAQ officials back into the building.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
They've given the all clear.

the van was nothing more than a van left unattended for two days (sarcasm as you see fit)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
And its getting weirder. Fox News now says it has a placard on the dash from a non existent law enforcement agency???

Link

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

At least they checked it and didn't leave it to assumptions. I would hope that it would be removed, anyway, as it could be something to be filled at a later time. I say remove any possibilities...

Edit to add: " A placard from a nonexistent law enforcement agency is on the dashboard."?? That's just.. odd. Reminded me immediately of the bomber applying to a University in London that didn't exist.

Quote if from the live feed link above.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Libertygal]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Just a little fishy...

Maybe some illegal immigrants had a construction job close by, and moved out. They were being followed!

After stealing the van, getting plates from another vehicle, they left the scene in haste, and took the plates with them.

Ha!

(Glad its not anything serious though)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by diana

yeah but that could be nothing more than an attempt to avoid a parking ticket. you'd be surprised what people will do to keep a good parking space.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i think that its a good thing to be paranoid but i think more, that people are just trying to cause a big scare

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The all clear has been given and people are now permitted back into the evacuated area. Probably someone just looking for some cheap parking. Sounds like something that George Costanza would do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join