It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentine gay couple becomes first in region to marry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/27665bc72086.jpg[/atsimg]

Two Argentine men have become the first same-sex couple to marry legally in Latin America.

Alejandro Freyre, 39, and Jose Maria Di Bello, 41, tied the knot in a civil ceremony in the southern city of Ushuaia, in Tierra del Fuego province.

Gay marriage is illegal in Argentina. However, the Tierra del Fuego governor issued a special decree allowing the couple to wed there.

Roman Catholic leaders in the country expressed alarm at the move.

A judge in the capital, Buenos Aires, prevented the couple from marrying there earlier this month.

The men, who are both HIV-positive, had planned to get married on 1 December, World Aids day.

They eventually travelled to Tierra del Fuego, where they received the support of provincial governor Fabiana Rios.

(read full article and see video here)
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Gay Malawi couple charged with indecency over ceremony.

A gay couple in Malawi who held a public wedding ceremony have been arrested and charged with public indecency.

Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza had a traditional ceremony in the south African country on Saturday.

Malawi has severe penalties against homosexual acts, commonly punishing gay sex with up to 14 years in prison.

www.pinknews.co.uk...

---------------------

Seems like nobody bats an eye at wars that have killed millions on people over the last century.......but god forbid....two people, who happen to be of the same sex, fall in love and want to live together in happiness...

Time to evolve people.......

PEACE and LOVE...

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
So, they broke the law and were arrested. Is the law correct or fair, that's up to their country to decide? No conspiracy here, they broke the law, publically, and now are going to pay for it. Change the laws if they are wrong, but breaking them and being surprised for being punished, nah, nothing to see here.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
To the issue of homosexual marriage in general...

I have been married twice and felt the bitter end of both. From personal experience, I find marriage to be wayyy over-rated and in today's world, more a legal device for government, legal profession and the insurance industry to apply against the coupling.

Beyond that, my best efforts to research the roots of marriage has led me to believe that the institution itself was no more than a means for various religions to control certain royal and noble bloodlines. Men often sired children with numbers of mistresses, going back to the beginnings of recorded history. For those that acted as overseers... most recently, the Catholic Church, it was important to make sure the 'right' heirs moved up.

If I could offer a message to the gay community regarding marriage, it would be, and from the heart, be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
So, they broke the law and were arrested. Is the law correct or fair, that's up to their country to decide? No conspiracy here, they broke the law, publically, and now are going to pay for it. Change the laws if they are wrong, but breaking them and being surprised for being punished, nah, nothing to see here.

Haha
If we were to obey laws some of us would be still in occupied countires. The new law of the occupying force is obience and disarnment
now... we don't do that, don't we?

I think if people didn't break the law so often the law itself wound not be in need of change

top topics

join