It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ridley Scott to direct "Alien" Prequel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Ridley Scott to direct "Alien" Prequel

This is news I have been waiting a long time for, 'Alien' is one of my all time personal favourites and IMO, the greatest sci-fi and/or horror film ever made.

Ridley Scott Talks Alien Prequel

“It’s a brand new box of tricks,” said Sir Ridley. “We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It’s very difficult to put a year on Alien, but [for example] if Alien was towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place thirty years prior.”

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Koka]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Why mess with a good thing? I didn't even see the last one.

I swear Hollywood is fresh out of original ideas and just ca$hing in on old successes.

I guess it works.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
At least each had a different premise (especially the last one)...

Would be neat to see where they came from, why they evolved that way, etc.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
True although the first two were at least linked in time-line and storyline.

Alien and Aliens were masterpieces, but the third sucked IMO and what was the last one? Alien v Predator?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I agree with the franchise turning into a bit of a cash cow and only enjoyed the first two with 'Alien' being the superior of the two.

I'm hoping that with Ridley Scott at the helm, we might see a return to the class that initialised the franchise as he seldom makes a film that is not worthy of viewing.

The films so far are:

Alien
Aliens
Alien3
Alien: Resurrection

Alien v Predator
Aliens v Predator: Requiem

The AvP franchise was a great disappointment and although I longed for them to be created, ended up wishing they hadn't.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Koka]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The game was much more fun... Used to have it for PC, way before the movies came out, and it was pretty challenging. You could play as a Marine, Predator, or Alien...

Marine: Had a motion sensor, nightvision, and long range capability, but sucked at hand-to-hand

Alien: Good vision, but badass melee skills...if you got up close, a Marine was instant toast, and a Predator's days were numbered.

Predator: Cool vision, some long range, and decent up close (Jack of All Trades, Master of None). Best of the bunch in my opinion, but Marines could snipe you with heavy weapons, and Aliens would mess you up bad if they got close....

It really brought back the terror playing as a Marine, and seeing that blip get closer and closer, hehe.....

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I used to play AvP on the PC as well, it had great atmospherics, it was the first mutli-player game I played on the PC.

I used to play as the Alien and my mate was a marine, on occasion I would play as the marine and he as the Predator.

I used to play it in surround sound using EAX, the sound effects were brilliant mimicking the environment depending on the kind of room you were in.

Having said that, if you enjoyed it that much yourself you maybe pleased to know that it is being re-released fully updated:

AvP3 HD Trailer

The release date is February 2010

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Koka]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
call me crazy but i LOVED AvP 1 and 2

never seen an alien or predator movie i didn't like.

I can't wait for this new movie either. I love it when Hollywood gets nostalgic.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If Ridley Scott is doing it, it oughta be good. He made the original and has a feel for it already.
The "Space Jockey" scene from the original movie must be what this movie is going to revolve around. I'm so down with that!

Peace

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

He was originally penned to do a prequel sometime ago but pulled out when the franchise got out of hand and he wasn't very happy when they combined the Alien and Predators into one film believing them to be nothing more than, as previously mentioned, a cash cow.

The original prequel was definitely going to be based on how the ship found on LV426 got there, lets hope that is still the premise of this new script, as there was also talk of producing a film based solely on the Ripley character which would not have involved the Aliens.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hope this comes to fruition. I'm going to mirror a few statements before mine in saying that I would love to see how the moments on LV-426 came about. Perhaps some background on the Aliens themselves. Both the first two Aliens are also my fave. Still love the Loader/Queen Alien fight scene.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Koka

Thee AVP movie series would have been awesome if they had just stuck to the story line that Darkhorse comics put out. It was a fantastic series and worth a read if you can find them. But in typical Hollywood fasion, they take a great story, rip it apart, rewrite and basically change the entire story line and then procede to ruin any story/book they touch.

edit to add**

The Darkhorse AVP / alien comics also goes into the history of the aliens as well as the large alien species that is seen in the first alien movie.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by QBSneak000]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by divinetragedy79

If you get the extended version of Aliens with the extra footage, it goes into parts of life on LV-426 before the mayhem. I found it filled a lot of plot holes.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
call me crazy but i LOVED AvP 1 and 2

never seen an alien or predator movie i didn't like.

I can't wait for this new movie either. I love it when Hollywood gets nostalgic.

I thought they were okay aswell!

I loved the first 2 Alien films, but never got on with 3 and never seen 4 all the way through, but I reckon it's a good time to do another, look forward to it!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Gonna have to check that out. I have been meaning to pick up the Aliens movies on dvd for a while.

Also, I have a couple of issues of those aforementioned Darkhorse AVP series. Great read.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
If Ridley is doing it, you just know it's going to bring integrity back to the series. He wouldn't touch it otherwise. I wonder it they will do it in Stereoscopic 3D like Avatar. That would be awesome... any a very scary universe to become immersed in.

IRM

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

If they film it in such a format...you best believe that I will be jumping out of my seat at every suspenseful moment.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I absolutely love Alien and Aliens. The 3rd was okay and the 4th was decent. I really didn't like AvP though, especially the second one.

Hopefully the new one won't rely on CG effects too much, and stay true to the originals. I'd like to see some more space marine action like in James Camerons movie. I'm not sure i'll be too interested in a prequel that doesn't involve Ellen Ripley, though.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Hi guys

I don't know whether this is a good thing , they say that you should never fix something that isn't broken, i think that there have been enough of the alien films and further productions may spoil what has become unique

regards
ian

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Have started a new thread on the new Predators (2010), movie, thought that you guys might be interested.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join