It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the Military 'crap' on their own vets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

After the military has used and abused their soldiers, they spit them out on the streets of America to 'fend' for themselves...

Way to go guys..
... way to take care of your own...

So much for 'semper fi'...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Simple, many high level military are Illuminati, even Illuminati dissociated children there to uphold a maniacal interest. People are just viewed as worthless fodder to them. When someone isn't serving their immediate interest they aren't worth anything to people that think this way. A veteran can't serve the interests of the higher ups so what go are they to them?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Did you not know? Veterans are only good for one thing, show. Folks military and citizen will parade these individuals around when its war time and when they , support it, and then when that war is being waged the attention to these veterans are thrown into the garbage.

In the world where the only concerns are whether the commies are going to attack, or what religion you are, or what ethnic backround you are from, most folks who support funding hikes for the military dont give a damn about the veterans. Its a sad state of affairs as the only thing these veterans are good for is whether they can be used as a parading symbol again for the next war or election.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This has been a pet peeve for a very long time. Some of the VA hospitals are better than others. It was difficult to maintain decent care over the last eight years when funding was repeatedly cut for care and services.

My father actually left the Republican party during Bush's last term for this reason.

I am happy to see this out here, and that people are becoming aware of it. If American's are vocal about this it increases the chances for improvment. We just simply need to have the attitude that we will no longer tolerate our returning soldiers receiving inferior care.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Actually, once you leave the military, they're done with you and you're done with them.

The rest is up to you with the assistance of programs like those provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you don't think that veterans are getting a fair shake, then you should be contacting your legislators on a daily basis to make sure that they support veterans programs.

Those who think that veterans are getting screwed by the VA and who support nationalized medicine should pause and think about that.

If the bills before Congress pass, the whole country will be getting care on the same level that vets are getting now.

Think about that.

[edit on 2009/12/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Generally speaking, it's not the military, it's the politicians who set the budgets. The politicians vastly prefer dead heroes to live vets, since dead heroes are quite useful and cheap, while live vets are expensive and can be annoyingly honest in their opinions of the politicians and the wars they engender.

It has always been the same: every government likes to sell a prospective soldier on the bennies while at the same time in a different venue decrying the cost of providing them and demanding a reduction in that cost. It's classic "bait and switch".

And every single "patriotic" taxpayer wholeheartedly supports stiffing the vets when they demand lower taxes and a reduced cost of government. When you are willing to pay what is necessary to provide for the vets, you can speak up about the military treating vets poorly, but until you're willing to pay the freight you're just being hypocritical, demanding too much for too little.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

During my twenties, I spent a good deal of time working with the homeless and eating at soup kitchens whereupon I came to know many homeless vets.

A surprising percentage of the older generation veterans complained of experiencing claustrophobia and prefered "camping out" as opposed to living in what they felt was a confined environment.

These guys were not your "normal" homeless cases - in fact, I was invited out to several encampments outside (and sometimes hidden within) city limits.

The campsites were clean and well maintained, there was no sign of drug or alcohol abuse, and the vets would spend their days performing "good deeds" throught the city. You'd never really suspect they were living outside for they maintained themselves well.

Interesting group of gentlemen, to say the least.

Now in regards to this "new generation" of homeless vets, I really don't know what to say. Over the years I've re-located and the only veterans we have are of the older generations and doing fairly well for themselves and doing their part for their community.

Which leaves me wondering if the new phenomenon primarily consists of younger veterans...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

*edit - Big Brother demands spell check.

[edit on 12/20/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Here is what the returning vets have to face when they get back from the illegal occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan.......

Semper Fi...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall
Here is what the returning vets have to face when they get back from the illegal occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan.......

Illegal?

Really?

If that's so, why should you care?

Sounds like you're just stirring up trouble.

No one's begging you to serve.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
They use them up and toss them aside. To the military they are really no different then any other "used" hardware. Think about the fact we actually left P.O.W.s behind when we exited Nam and did nothing to get them back.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Let's get something straight here.

While there are bureaucratic snafus throughout the government, including the DVA, veterans in our country aren't treated nearly as badly as some here are trying to assert.

I'm a veteran and I have been receiving one form of VA benefit or another for some forty years. The VA paid all my medical expenses when I was nearly killed in an automobile accident, because I had no health insurance.

The VA has provided me with counseling and therapy for nigh on thirty years, almost non-stop.

The VA put me through graduate school.

The VA now provides me with a 100% disability pension, full health benefits, and other services.

Those here who are doing the most screaming about the treatment of veterans don't really have a clue and are motivated by politics.

The VA's not perfect, but those veterans who seek help and are persistent will recieve the benefits they deserve, even if the system is flawed.

Those who are truly concerned about our veterans would be far more effective if they would volunteer to serve veterans' needs, enter fields that support veterans, and would keep our legislators apprised of their concern for federal funding for veterans' programs.

Posting negative propaganda on bulletin boards is the action of those who seek nothing but to destroy the morale of the nation in a time of war.

Bear that in mind.

[edit on 2009/12/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Illegal?

If that's so, why should you care?

Sounds like you're just stirring up trouble.

Well somebody should care......the military sure doesn't....and most military personnel don't even want to talk about it...

everything's fine...semper fi

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

You're not getting it.

The military is not responsible for veterans.

If you're going to raise hell about something, you ought at least get your facts straight.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Soldiers.....take a look at your future..

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

HAH BENEFITS FOR VETERANS? YOU MUST BE JOKING ME.

While rallying one day, and spreading awareness on my local strip, I had a bunch of billboards such as "9/11 was an inside job" "Your very own government is the enemy" etc, and a WW2 Fighter Pilot, in one of those motorized wheelchairs pulls up to us.

At first, I was sure he was going to tell us off, instead, he told me the following.

"Yep I know something was up with that damn 9/11"

"I went to the veterans office to get my benefits and they told me they had no record of me"

He had all of his medals on him.

It's a #ing joke.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I did a quick search of youtube for interviews with the "new wave" of homeless vets, and aside from organised campaigns attempting to solict donations, I haven't found a single modern era interview with a single new homeless vet.

I find this odd.

With such numbers being hyped by the campaign organizations, there are no actual interviews with any of these purported homeless.

I find that exceedingly odd.

I also find it disturbing that the majority of these videos are showing footage of - what appears to me, anyway - of nothing more than people in transition.

Which brings to mind something my father (retired USAF) brought to my attention recently:

According to him, there are several organizations sending solicitation to the families of retired military talking about this new phenomenon, asking for donations and so forth to "help the homeless/disabled veterans".

On the surface, it looks like a genuine cause, but he did a little digging and found out that the majority of these "causes" had no actual verifiable programs in place to help anyone, they were simply preying on the willingness of people to help "veterans whose government has forgotten them".

I've gotten a few of these myself, they are very slick, very "patriotic" and devoid of anything other than "feel good promises".

Until I see a decent interview with at least one of these reported 200,000 "fresh out and homeless vets" - I'm erring on the side of extreme skepticism.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES

I did a quick search of youtube for interviews with the "new wave" of homeless vets, and aside from organised campaigns attempting to solict donations, I haven't found a single modern era interview with a single new homeless vet.

So you agree with Bill O.....

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall
So you agree with Bill O.....

Can't say I watch much modern news.

It's simply too sensationalized for my tastes.

I'm going on word from a man I've known my entire life, who was in the military his entire life, works extensively with people who have hit hard times during his spare time and has nothing to gain politically or personally from telling me what I related in my previous posting.

If there really are such numbers - why is it so hard to produce any of these "veterans" for a more organized and professional video interview?

It just doesn't add up.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Thanks for posting this. It's the way it should be. Do you think the discrepancy might have anything to do with the particular war a person was in? For example, the Viet Nam vets had a hard time, while the WWII Vets seemed to have had their needs met.

The more recent middle east veterans seem to vary in their stories. I'm wondering too, how much a specific area/hospital has to do with it.

There is a large VA hospital in my town. I request services from them at times for people I also see in a professional capacity (and vice versa). I can tell you, the services they provide here, are excellent, IF you can get them involved. ... or Get on their "waiting list'. Many times it seems to have to do with the level or percentage of disability they are on. Sometimes it seems to me they would have to have no arms, no legs, and be completely blind before they would qualify for services. Just sayin'.

They also had a large nursing home facility within the hospital, but now they must charge and accept funding the way ANY nursing home would. (I don't like that).

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Grady, don't bother.

Rainfall makes it his hobby here to sh!t on vets and the military in general. The topic here makes it look like he actually cares, but in reality, it's just his little pathetic venue for venting his poison. Check some of his other posts here on ATS.

Or better yet, he's another one of his threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join