It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They want to take the internet, let them have it! We'll just rebuild it, on our terms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Mods please move to correct forum

If the internet is "taken away", I think that the technological infrastructure that is already in place would allow us to reconnect with each other almost immediately. Perhaps it'd be a good thing if the current "internet provider" paradigm were challenged at its core. It'd allow us to take a step back and realize that we are already and always connected, without the intervention of a "service provider".

And I suspect internet 2.0, reinvented by us will exist as something far better, and far more secure.

I've wanted to start a post here for a while discussing the possibility of creating a "darknet" or a community based wireless web separate from the internet. I would like to have a recourse and a starting point to discuss possibilities, such as hacking iphones in such a way to allow for them all to be connected on their own intranet of sorts. And what about Long-range Wi-Fi, line of sight antennae that could connect entire communities.

Sure it may take some time to restore the quantity of information that we have access to today, but it wouldn't take long at all to reconnect if everyone were contributing, and if we started building the infrastructure

I download every documentary that I watch. Everything that gives me one more fraction of the puzzle by which to understand our plight. I'm sure I'm one of a few million that does the same thing.

I say take the internet away. We'll just rebuild it to be 1000 times better than the corporate mutation that it has become.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by feedpeopletosharks]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I agree with you here, I've been saying this for a while.

I mean, Guy Fawkes would rule the streets. Everyone would build their own internets and network them, it'd be free.

I'm down for it.v

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

haha! Truly. Everyone would be Guy Fawkes and all the bit torrent servers would take over and it'd be for a long while in the hands of pirates. Then the corporations would slowly take back over.

If the current infrastructure were ever truly comprimised, the world would change instantaneously.

They know this, so it probably never actually will.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
You can't just take down the net...
I know there are several people out there that can use as you said the existing connections through several other ports, comms, etc....It's just a matter of getting on the same page. The net will never be destroyed....BTW, those elites have money in the net, and there will be lots of profit lost if the internet were to suddenly disappear

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
IF they really want the INTERNET down it will go down and stay down. If you try and up a INTERNET and they want it stopped it will be stopped even if they have to blow it up. A 1000 pounder on the local telephone switching station will put a stop to that. Remember you will still have to use the telephone system to connect the computers. And any sat base link can easily be jammed. IF the want the net to go down and stay down it will go down and stay down.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I just finished post on this theme in another thread. Nice coincidence. I'll repost it here:

You made the point. And such intra/inter nets exist and are growing for many years. In Prague there is huge community network named czfree.net for example. It is build by enthusiasts. Many of nodes are connected through different ISPs (cable,DSL,fibre ...) to internet aside of main gateways. Mode of operation is similar to MESH wifi model with dynamic gateways. It is parallel to "official" internet infrastructure. This network can be crippled only by EMP and if this happen it can be restored in few days because enthusiasts tend to keep old equipment (our company have still working PCs dated back to 1988). There are many community servers connected to this network with huge amount of data also. Some guys build their setups with EMP possibility in mind - I'm moving all our servers in to newly reconstructed basement for example and I'll try to protect racks. It will not be perfect but better do something then latter cry.

ATS

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by antmax21

True but if the main infrastructure were systematically attacked,n ot just hackers, dude, like, with missiles and bombs and komakazi fighter jets and such.

I'm sure some damage could be done.

I just would like to see communities and neighborhoods come together and to create larger and more independent infrastructures. I think it'd be the dawning of something new and would be downright cool!

Lets start wiggling free from their grasp before they do what they're planning.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad

Yea, thats exactly what I'm talking about! I'd never heard of that, I'll look into it.... thanks!

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I have also hawked this before. I have absolutely written award winning internet utilities and would very much be willing to cooperate with people in order to create this. Let me know, count me in.

top topics

join