It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Ben Nelson to announce support for health-care bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Sen. Ben Nelson to announce support for health-care bill

www.washingtonpost.com

"...Nelson also secured other favors for his home state."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
We are truly seeing the end of our Republic play out right before our eyes. The idea that a Senator could be "bought" for his vote, and the fact that this legislation would bring such sweeping, never before seen changes to our nation, makes me sick beyond my ability to put into words. Our founding Fathers are rolling in their graves this morning...shame on you Ben Nelson. Shame on all your Senators who have been bought for your votes. You all have disgraced your office, your nation, and your selves and I believe history will record that this congress was the worst in our nation's history. Do not expect to win reelection in the future, we will not forget your betrayal. I and so many others will financially support whomever runs against you, Senator...consider your political career at this point over. It will be interesting to see how you can deal with being an ordinary citizen again.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well, there it is... They now have their filibuster-proof majority vote.

No stopping them now, and they all get what they want for their states in this bill.. Without the pork, pet projects and state guarantees this bill would not have had a chance to pass.

In other words those who want to force this goddamned bill through BOUGHT the votes to get it passed.

American politics and corruption at its finest.

They all win, we the people keep losing.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Katrina Mary got $300 million for her vote. I wonder how much it cost us to get Nelson's?

This is disgusting, but if this monstrosity passes the Democrat Party just signed its death warrant.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The ironic part to this, is that from what I've read, the final bill is going to be very different from the other versions previously posted online. I'm not positive, but I believe they already caved in on the public option, revised Medicare expansion that will end up with a smaller number of eligible members (they were dropping the age to 55 and now are not I believe), and have thrown in several components designed to benefit only the state in which needed senators' votes are from.

BUT -- the original bill was presented at a cost of $879 Billion, and this version is $1.1 Trillion.

Interesting that the public is ending up with less, while the cost has been increased by nearly $300 billion.

What's that in the distance? Oh....I see a fat lady. And she's preparing to sing.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

You are so right, sadly I don't believe their vote was being held back because of some changes needed first to this legislation, but instead they were holding out for money...plain and simple. It was all a card game and they were going to hold there hand untill the "pot" was big enough to show their cards. OMG what has this nation come to? God help us all.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Why is it that accepting a gift or money from a private individual in exchange for a vote is a bribe but to accept a gift or money from the government in exchange for a vote is not?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Our government reps are very good at giving us less for more, lol. But honestly this isnt a laughing matter, I'm sitting here livid not knowing what kind of country my kid is going to live in when she's an adult. It reminds me of that scene in "300" where the senator dropped his persian coins showing his secret alegance to Xerxies. Remember that part? And all that time he had been providing a way for his own nation's demise while looking to the other senators that he was an honest politician. I wonder how many "coins" we would find in the pockets of senators like this?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Why is it that accepting a gift or money from a private individual in exchange for a vote is a bribe but to accept a gift or money from the government in exchange for a vote is not?

Because if this bill is so damned good for this country NO vote should need to be bought.

Because it is the American taxpayers who PAY for these votes.

It is wrong period.

It is a corrupt political monster that has been screwing us for decades... Nothing in this bill will help the American people... You'll see, it is just another mechanism and vehicle to further enslave the American people and our economy to this government.

You can feel good about this like so many fools... But some of us don't like being screwed like this ... especially without lubrication.

Deny my ignorance... please.

Edit: to make an appropriate change at the end of my post... Read the next and you'll see why.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Apparently I failed to adequately make my point or you failed to adequately understand.

Or maybe much of your post isnt even directed toward me but merely posted in anger and frustration?

I cant figure out exactly where I left the impression that I was happy about this, wanted the bill to pass, or thought that taking my extorted tax monies and buying votes with it was a good thing.

Obviously, you saw all that in my post somewhere.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I agree with the other poster, if.. sorry... when, they shove this bill down our throats this will be the death of the Democrat party I know it has been said many times before, but unlike the AWB that happened when Clinton was in office this one is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

So what are your predictions for riots and massive civil unrest?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You are right... I was angry, and mistakenly took your post as a question meant to defend these actions in some way.

Sorry for my quick incorrect reaction.

To better answer your original question and point, it is rather simple... They are the lawmakers, make the laws and rules.... It is only considered bribery when it happens in the private sector... In government policy and law making this kind of activity is considered acceptable because it is how each representative or senator can get what they want for their own constituency.

Every bill is an opportunity for them.

The only way to stop them would be through some kind of resolution.... Do you think they would ever pass any legislation that would end this kind of "legal" bribery and extortion?

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
In case anyone is interested in further material. this was already being discussed in this thread, which posted earlier:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is just proof that the whole bunch are nothing but whores, which we already knew. We just didn't know what their price was.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
oh well, when the last vestiges of this once great country is finally reposessed or flushed down teh toilet, you can look back and thank the dummycraps and the liberal party for it all.

yeah thats right, say it again you obamatons.. Yes we can, Yes we can.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

Yes, I agree both parties are a joke and the Republicans positioned the gun to our heads and now the Democrats are about pull the trigger.

Sucks...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm waiting to see what's the new trick they gonna pull to pass cap and trade... maybe they'll just pass it on christmas eve like this one... or wait for the new year eve... Who knows... I'm sure they don't have parties to be too anyway, I'm sure even their family hate their guts.

As a canadian, im kinda sad, because where are we gonna go for real health care now? Asia? It's gonna be much more expansive...

Anyway I wish they would just pass it all at once, so there's a so big change, so radical and so fast that people revolt... because humans have a tendency to adopt the tyranny if it's brought slowly.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Guess I'm the only one in this discussion who thinks this is good news. The country is on the brink of a whole new day for millions who are struggling to bring about positive reform in our health care system.

Yes, there is wheeling and dealing in the government, always has been. The Republicans are in the pockets of the drug and insurance companies, and Democrats want benefits for their home states.

Lyndon Johnson made deals in order to get Medicare passed in the 1960's. And I don't hear ANYBODY complaining about Medicare now, not even the far, far right.

This will be one of those historic steps toward justice and equality in our country.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Funny how our money is used to bribe others to spend even more of our money. In the end they congratulate each other on a job well done, as the rest of us try to make do with the pittance left in our pay checks.

It all makes me sick.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Lyndon Johnson made deals in order to get Medicare passed in the 1960's. And I don't hear ANYBODY complaining about Medicare now, not even the far, far right.
[edit on 19-12-2009 by Sestias]

I work in health care and hear quite a few people complaining about Medicare (and Medicaid)...politics don't even begin to play into it.

That being said, I'm with you. This is a good thing. But, it's not enough of a good thing. People with poor oral hygiene have more health problems than people who visit a dentist regularly. We need to get our Congressmen and Congresswomen working on universal dental care next. Orthodontics should be covered, too. Once we get that, we need to move quickly on universal day care for those parents who have children but the high cost of quality day care makes holding a job pointless, or a break-even prospect at best. After that, we should use the full force of the government's ownership position in General Motors and Chrysler to get huge discounts on new cars for people who couldn't otherwise afford reliable transportation. With the real estate markets devastated, the time is now for the government to buy up houses and condos at depressed prices. We can provide quality shelter for the homeless and indigent all across the country.

To those who say getting this universal health care bill passed is the end of the road, I say, "We have just begun!" There should be no rest for our elected officials until every single person in this country has free and easy access to every thing they need to be productive, contributing members of society. To provide anything less is a travesty of epic proportions.

I am sure you agree, universal health care is peanuts. It's not even the least we can, and should, do for our suffering fellow Americans. In the immortal words of the great humanitarian, Michael Jackson, "Keep on with the force. Don't stop. Don't stop 'til you get enough!" Who can deny that "enough" is when the government is providing everything everyone could possible need, from birth to death? Nobody, that's who. There is no denying that this is but the first step, and a small one at that. Will you do your part and push your elected officials to keep on trucking with the change? Our rallying cry needs to be "Full coverage, for everything, for everyone, forever!"

[edit on 19-12-2009 by kreinhard]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join