It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil Continues To Deny US Father Custody

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Brazil's Top Court Delay's Boy's Return To US Father

In 2004, Goldman's wife, Bruna Bianchi, took Sean to her native Brazil.Goldman says it was to be a two-week vacation, but she stayed and so did the boy. She eventually obtained a Brazilian divorce from Goldman and remarried.

Goldman was already seeking his son's return under an international treaty that covers cross-border child abductions when his former wife died last year giving birth to a daughter...

Sergio Tostes, attorney for Sean's stepfather Joao Paulo Lins e Silva, said the case should never have reached the political levels that it has.

"This is not a fight between two countries," Tostes said. "This is just the pursuit of the truth and the pursuit of what is in the best interest of the boy."

This case has been on going for more than a year. However, the situation goes back several years. The boy's mother left on a two week vacation. The father allowed her to take the son because his mother was headed to her home country. When she got there she refused to return. She filed for a divorce in Brazil and remarried. The father had been refused the right to see his until feburary of this year. Now that the mother has died the have repeatedly denied him custody of his child.

I don't know what I think our government could do to help, but they should be doing something. This could set a dangerous precedent. When a child is kidnapped, and a country refuses the father any rights, that country becomes a haven for kidnappers. Now I don't mean white slavery. However, other women could begin doing this in an attempt to extort money from rich husbands in other countries.

What should our government do to help this father? What precedent does this set, and what does it mean for father's rights? I find this story deeply disturbing and believe we as a nation need to do something to help this man. We need to do something to ensure that all parent's in this type of situation have a course for remedy.

Bring Sean Home Home Page

(edits because of... well errors.)

[edit on 18-12-2009 by MikeNice81]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Brazilian Family To Return Son

I wanted to update this with the most up to date info. I know nobody has read this thread so far. I just didn't want to leave out information that helps complete the picture.

new topics

join