It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignoring someone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I typed up a long post only to have it say "there is another thread with that title" but not allowing me to edit just the title but having to rewrite the whole darn thing.

Here goes a shorter version.

I would like to ask that when someone is ignored, they can't see the person's posts/profile etc. who ignored them.

It's kindof self defeating when you ignore someone and they are still able to see and post against you but you can't see their posts.

Every other on-line community that I've been a part of does both. When you ignore someone, they can't see you either.

So, what's the point of the ignore feature if that poster is still able to spout their nonesense against you making you look like you aren't/can't answer them to the casual reader?

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Nutter]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Actually, I think the 'Ignore' features a sort of poetic justice just because the ignoree is still seeing what the ignorer writes, but that the ignoree's comments are invisible to the ignorer and thus, are simply ignored due to a very basic, local nonexistence.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Not sure why you would want to ignore someone. if they are being childish, there is always ignoring them. meaning, done let your ego completely consume your Self.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Is using the ignore button really that important?

Also if they can see your posts after ignore, why should you care, unless there stalking you or something.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

I used to kind of think like that, but then I realized in real life, if I don't like someone, I simply avoid them whenever possible. I don't continue to hang out with them just so i can put up with their crap.

I agree with the poster who claimed there is justice in ignoring someone when they are talking to you because you think they're rude, etc.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by Nutter

Is using the ignore button really that important?

Long term it's rather self defeating ...
Short term it's a useful tool so as to avoid getting personally caught up in an aggressive vicious circle with another member.

Though I always figured, if one's detached enough to use the ignore feature, then they're probably capable of removing themselves from the heated discussion anyway.

Having said that, I recently used the ignore feature for the first time after a year of watching a particular member pimping nothing but hate and jackassery. But then I found myself curious when I would see his username on the recent posts page and would unignore him for a minute, read the post, confirm his jackassery was still holding its momentum, and re-ignored him.

Pretty much the stupidest course of action I've taken on ATS as he actually became a bigger part of my life by virtue of me ignoring him.

Anyhoot, I stopped doing that and just take it all in no matter who's posting.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Mostforums I've been on have a feature somewhat like "ignore" but it is called "block". Which blocks you from seeing that person and also blocks that person from seeing you.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Also if they can see your posts after ignore, why should you care, unless there stalking you or something.

Because to the casual reader (or even to an over enflated egoist) not responding to someone's post usually means they "win" the argument. So, if you can't rebut what they have posted against you, it makes you look like you aren't able to rebut it when it's just that you are ignoring them.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think the button to be quite useless, as years of exposure to the commercial internet have honed my ignorance-skills.
I literally don't see offensive posts.

Originally posted by Nutter
...not responding to someone's post usually means they "win" the argument...

I disagree. Not replying to a stupid post, means that you don't lower yourself to the other guys level. Some folks never learn.

EDIT: added quote

[edit on 2009.12.17 by Carlthulhu]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carlthulhu
I literally don't see offensive posts.

I guess I can take that as a compliment since you responded to my post. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Because to the casual reader (or even to an over enflated egoist) not responding to someone's post usually means they "win" the argument. So, if you can't rebut what they have posted against you, it makes you look like you aren't able to rebut it when it's just that you are ignoring them.

Good point. But say if someone on the board had everyone ignoring them, then that would also make it look bad, lol.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

But say if someone on the board had everyone ignoring them, then that would also make it look bad, lol.

I would say it would reflect on that person and no one else. If I was to be ignored by everyone, then maybe, just maybe I might stop and think about it.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Just out of spite, I'm ignoring all of you!!!

Nah, just joshing.

Actually, while I have never seen fit to use the feature, I think the great SDog hit the hammer squarely with the nail, there, in describing its utility for him, in a certain way.

OK...everyone chant...."All hail to the Dog."

OK, that's enough, I'm bow-wowing out now....

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Don't worry weedwhacker, I don't think I'll ignore you. You are about the only one who brings facts and evidence to a debate. And I like that.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Nutter]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I agree with the OP.

We already have a friends list and an enemies list publicly displayed. The ignore list should be treated likewise so that everyone can see, just like with the two other lists.

I would hate to waste time replying to someone who cannot see my posts. It has probably happened already, but how am I supposed to know...

Great Idea OP.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
To be honest you should really only ignore someone as a very last resort. Its become quite popular on these boards for people to go "oh you dont like what im saying, well then just put me on ignore", seems a bit lame to me just because the mods cant stop the trolling going on, the only way that I will personally put someone on ignore is if what they say over an extended period of time is so mind numbingly stupid that I want to travel to their house and smack them in the face, when that feeling arises and I begin to recognise a users name because of that, then and only then will they go on ignore.

At the point I put someone on Ignore I could honeslty care less what they think, and dont care that they can see my posts but i cant see theirs, if they are on ignore I am not interested in engaging them at all in conversation.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Why do you need a button to ignore with in the first place?
Do you need a poop button also? So its all like official and junk?

I'm being a smart ass here and this is not directed at anyone in particular.
OP, I hear ya!
Just scroll on down and dont worry bout the one or two ignore worthy posts on the thread...
makes you appreciate the good posts anyway!

Of course if you know they are disinfo agents...

Their posts are usually repeated if their worth a response anyway.
It is still a conspiracy site,...I think.

Speaking of stalkers, there is that one creep every once in awhile....
Maybe we need a stalker button a little worse! Flag!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
In my opinion the ignore button should never be used. The reason being.

-That person may have important things to say in other venues.

-It limits your ability to stay fully engaged in the thread. Even if the offender continues to stray, their input is responded to and seen by other readers.

-If you really must ignore someone, simply foe them and then you can just skip over their comment when you see the red "foe" bar on their avatar

I have never, and will never ignore a member, even if I find myself laughing, rolling my eyes, or downright dismissing their posts.

my 2 Ameros

[edit on 12/24/2009 by AlienChaser]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
SDog you crack me up

What i do is go into this stealth mental filter/shield mode where i read the antagonist's posts but in a very emotionally distant way. Kinda like, ok i see you are crap and full of crap so all you can do is produce crap... so be it. My expectations have been properly lowered for this particular individual and then I'm never disappointed.

Of course this is all easier said, then done.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
isn't this forum moto - DENY IGNORANCE?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join