It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Option Wiki: Slate Magazine's Interactive Guide To What's Happening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
slate.com

Updated last on Thurs. Dec. 10 at 12:47 p.m.

enate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced Dec. 8 that a 10-person working group had arrived at a tentative consensus "that includes a public option." He won't elaborate until the Congressional Budget Office calculates its cost, but details are leaking out here and there. This will likely continue until the proposal is released formally. I will therefore treat this column as a one-man Wiki, updating it as often as necessary. Fine-grained detail will be added as it becomes available. Although any errors will be flagged per Slate's usual corrections policy, faulty speculation and analysis will be rewritten or removed without the fussy cross-outs, favored by some bloggers, that assault the reader in the name of accountability. Readers are invited to e-mail informed tips and links to new information to [email protected]; I won't identify you without your explicit permission. When I'm satisfied the column is "done," I'll signal that in this first paragraph.

The components to the compromise are: 1) two new national nonprofit policies regulated by the Office of Personnel Management; 2) a new national public option to be created only if health insurers fail to create these new national nonprofit policies; 3) a Medicare buy-in available to people ages 55-64; 4) an expansion of the Children's Health Insurance Program; 5) a new regulatory requirement that insurers spend 90 percent of what they collect in premiums on health care.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What, exactly, is going on with the healthcare bill in the Senate right now, including especially the public option, is chronicled here, with updates by the author and the opportunity for contributors to add to the conversation.

I'm having a somewhat difficult time wading through all the material, not to mention all the revisions, but it's worth the effort.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Wiki updated Friday, December 11 at 11:58 A.M.:

slate.com

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Haven't you heard, Sestias? Healthcare is boring now, it's all about Climategate!

I've noticed quite a few detractors putter out since their demands are being met on the healthcare front. State negotiated Public Option, Medicare expansion, and let's not forget that the non profit exchanges are going to be what Federal employees (members of Congress included) have for health insurance, i.e. Congress would be walking the walk by having their insurance be the one the public can buy in to.

Smack

Sorry, had to smash a cricket. It was chirping too loudly in the thread.

join