It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monday 12.7.2009: EPA - Greenhouse Gasses Pose Human Threat and Must be Regulated.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The Environmental Protection Agency has concluded greenhouse gases are endangering people's health and must be regulated, signaling that the Obama administration is prepared to contain global warming without congressional action if necessary.

]Under a Supreme Court ruling, the so-called endangerment finding is needed before the EPA can regulate carbon dioxide and five other greenhouse gases released from automobiles, power plants, and factories under the federal Clean Air Act.

The EPA signaled last April that it was inclined to view heat-trapping pollution as a threat to public health and welfare and began to take public comments under a formal rulemaking. The action marked a reversal from the Bush administration, which had refused before leaving office to issue the finding, despite a conclusion by EPA scientists that it was warranted.
Link

The administration has wielded the finding as a prod to Congress to act on legislation, saying in effect that if lawmakers do not act to control greenhouse gas pollution they will use their rule-making power to do so. At the same time, the president and his top environmental aides have frequently said that they prefer such a major step be taken through the give-and-take of the legislative process.

Industry groups and the United States Chamber of Commerce have objected to the proposed regulations, saying they would damage the economy and drive jobs overseas. Some groups are likely to file lawsuits challenging the new regulations, which could delay their effective date for years.

Thomas J. Donohue, the president of the Chamber of Commerce, said that the endangerment finding “could result in a top-down command-and-control regime that will choke off growth by adding new mandates to virtually every major construction and renovation project.” He said that his group supports “rational” federal legislation and an international agreement to control global carbon emissions.
Link

So this is it. With or without the help of Congress it looks as if Obama and his administration are going to force through changes that will help to alleviate the suspected human culprits connected to anthropogenic climate change. I personally see such a move as a good thing and hope that the oppositions argument that such actions will lead to human suffering are nothing more than the exaggerations of those who would say anything to protect their all-holy-bottom-lines.

Of course FoxNEWS, among others (unsurprisingly right-wing) News organizations are pointing out that this is all a big mistake now that the 'science' is in question after the stolen climate-gate emails were released.

The administration also waved off concerns about the controversy surrounding leaked e-mails at a British climate research center, with the U.S. envoy to the international climate change conference in Copenhagen dismissing the flap as a "small blip."

But Republicans since last week had called on Jackson to withdraw the finding pending an investigation into whether the science behind the decision has been compromised. They raised their concerns following the leak of e-mails from the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit which appeared to show scientists discussing the manipulation of climate data.
Link

The outcome has yet to be seen as the EPA is still steps away from instituting these changes and enforcing green house gas emissions. With the battle over the issue reaching a fevered pitch the coming weeks and months of debate will be very interesting.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Animal]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Of course FoxNEWS, among others (unsurprisingly right-wing) News organizations are pointing out that this is all a big mistake now that the 'science' is in question after the stolen climate-gate emails were released.

Isn't Fauxnews often lambasted on here for towing the official line?

The science *IS* in question. There *ARE* VERY serious doubts over the CONTRIBUTION of man to climate change (yes, the planet is warming up - refer to the nuclear fireball in the sky we call the sun).

Ice is melting. Big deal.

Land is flooding. Big deal. Move.

Places too cold to live are warming up - GREAT! We can live there now.

Places too cold to grow food are warming up - GREAT! Let's grow more and feed the masses.

Look at this trend:

We allegedly need to grow GM crops in the UK to save the poor people in the third world from climate change (their words, not mine). Why grow the food here to have to ship it? MONEY.

If I bought carbon credits, the projects to tackle climate change are operated in developing countries. Why? So I can not scrutinize them, the MONEY can disappear easily, and because to run the same operations in the DEVELOPED world would mean less profit and more oversight leading to greater transparency.

See - nothing to do with the world and the climate. It is pure greed.

Governments of the world are brushing aside the leaked e-mails because it interferes with their plans to tax the masses and make more money for their corrupt business empires.

If bank bailouts at OUR expense were not enough, the bankers will profit once again through cap and trade schemes, and carbon trading with third world countries. "Oh - yu don;t use your carbon allowance so we will buy it, transfer money to you that we don ;t really need to give you, and carry on as normal, all in the bame of the planet".

Climte change is a blank cheque, and governments and big bussiness intend to write them out as often as possible.

Why aren't the environmentalists screaming about the bueracracy of Europe when they meet in Strasbourg every month?

Why aren't the environmentalists screaming about the pollution created by the world leaders meeting in Copenhagen this next two weeks?

Why aren't tax payers going nuts at the massive hotel bills, expenses etc.. as a reesult of this lot?

Why isn't this done via e-mail?

I call it one big party before christmas!!!

[edit on 7-12-2009 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The EPA will be challenged on the regulation. They will be taken to court by many companies and probably even states that stand to be penalized by these regulation.

First the regulations are asinine because there is no way to regulate naturally occurring gases. Second all of which they seek to regulate is essential to the survival of life.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
We allegedly need to grow GM crops in the UK to save the poor people in the third world from climate change (their words, not mine). Why grow the food here to have to ship it? MONEY.

And control, yes you are right money and control, GM crops can only be grown once so that is why even the seeds are controlled, is all about money, forget the littler people.

If I bought carbon credits, the projects to tackle climate change are operated in developing countries. Why? So I can not scrutinize them, the MONEY can disappear easily, and because to run the same operations in the DEVELOPED world would mean less profit.

That is one of the scams with the climate bill, trillions of dollars taken from tax payers to pay for favors from nations that doesn't give a darn about pollution like China, India and Brazil.

See - nothing to do with the world and the climate. It is pure greed.

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GOT IT RIGHT MY FRIEND when I tried to tell that to some I am call a corporate butt kisser, when my record here in ATS tells that I slam capitalistic pigs and corrupted government like is not end.

But hey when is pushed propaganda you get to be call anything

[edit on 7-12-2009 by marg6043]

[edit on 7-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I am just trying to figure out why the EPA that has links to corruption and been paid by big interest now have a change on hart.

Why now, I mean Greenhouse Gasses has been around for a long time, and we all know that they are dangerous to the environment and humanity, I guess now they found out a way to profit from regulation.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It is worse than greed, it is the end of America, its over, Usa is Gone !!
It is the New World Order, just 2 weeks away, then when your freedoms are gone, then you all start to cry, but it is too late......

This treaty can not be undone, it is for the rest of history....

Africa is gonna Own every thing you own, youll be working as slaves and africa gonna have it all....

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Well now they have to compete with China after all we gave free trade to China and made it what is today, so now is time to do the same with Africa.

new topics

top topics

join