It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Global Warming Denial Movement Linked Directly to ExxonMobil: PROOF

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Ok so in light of my last thread You have all gotten in bed with the enemy, where I basically made vague insinuations that big oil executives are the ones behind all the "Global Warming is a hoax" propaganda, I decided to go out and do some research and see if I could back up my words with more tangible, documented evidence.

And hoooooooo boy there is some seriously juicy stuff out there!

There is a lot to go over, and I have a feeling the people who need to read this stuff the most probably won't ever bother.

But basically what the attached sources show are direct links between the vast majority of Global Warming denial arguments, and an extensive, sophisticated disinformation campaign funded conveniently enough by Oil Industry associates.

The common denominator is ExxonMobil in particular. They are exposed through leaked memos and FOIA obtained government documents to employ a strategy taken straight from the Tobacco industries' playbook. They have their hands in the back pocket of virtually every lobbyist, politician and supposed scientist trying to sue Al Gore, or convince YOU there is no harm in global warming and that it's all a big hoax.

Basically, along with direct evidence on how Exxon pulled the puppet strings for the Bush administrations policies on climate change, there is a lot of information on the propaganda campaign they now rely on since there's no longer a Texan in the big office.

That part is particularly important, because when you examine some of the supposed "uncertainties" in climate science they've been shown to misrepresent - you'll see an eerie similarity to much of the rhetoric and denier propaganda regurgitated about right here on ATS.

But anyway judge for yourselves. Here are the links, along with some of my favorite quotes from each of them:

Like the tobacco industry in previous decades, ExxonMobil has:

- Raised doubts about even the most indisputable scientific evidence;

- Funded an array of front organizations to create the appearance of a broad platform for a tight-knit group of vocal climate change contrarians who misrepresent peer-reviewed scientific findings;

- Attempted to portray its opposition to action as a positive quest for "sound science" rather than business self-interest; and,

- Used its access to the Bush administration to block federal policies and shape government communications on global warming.

Testimony of Dr. James McCarthy to the House of Representantives Science and Technology Committee - March 28, 2007

Both groups promote the work of several climate change contrarians, including Sallie Baliunas, an astrophysicist who is affiliated with at least nine ExxonMobil-funded groups.

Baliunas is best known for a 2003 paper alleging the climate had not changed significantly in the past millennia that was rebutted by 13 scientists who stated she had misrepresented their work in her paper. This renunciation did not stop ExxonMobil-funded groups from continuing to promote the paper. Through methods such as these, ExxonMobil has been able to amplify and prop up work that has been discredited by reputable climate scientists.

Summary of the Union of Concerned Scientists report on the ExxonMobil disinformation campaign

Between 1998 and 2005 (the most recent year for which company figures are publicly available), ExxonMobil has funneled approximately $16 million to carefully chosen organizations that promote disinformation on global warming.38 As the New York Times has reported, ExxonMobil is often the single largest corporate donor to many of these nonprofit organizations, frequently accounting for more than 10 percent of their annual budgets. (For more detailed information, see Appendix B, Table 1.)

A close look at the work of these organizations exposes ExxonMobil’s strategy. Virtually all of them publish and publicize the work of a nearly identical group of spokespeople, including scientists who misrepresent peer-reviewed climate findings and confuse the public’s understanding of global warming. Most of these organizations also include these same individuals as board members or scientific advisers.

The report itself - "Smoke, Mirrors & Hot Air"

Also for that last quote:

I'm gonna take off my investigative reporter hat (this sweet fedora I found in my closet and stuck a card to the side that say PRESS!) and put my tin foil one on for a second. This $16 million is the reported, documented figure. Does anyone around here seriously think that a company as morally commendable as ExxonMobil won't have some other, less public "under the table" deals going on?

I wonder what the carbon footprint is for all those briefcases stuffed with cash?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Just thought I should add,

For those of you deniers who aren't going to bother reading any of the above:

What all this implies is that you have all been tricked into becoming unknowing (and unpaid!) mouthpieces for a very dirty corporate agenda.

I'm guessing most of you however will refuse to even address this possibility – for no reason other than the fact you are too proud.

You will refuse to consider that your inherent distrust of the system could have actually been manipulated by the biggest snake in the pit. You will refuse to consider it because you have all invested so much of your collective anger and emotion into burning the Global Warming witch, that there is no longer any going back.

And you will dismiss it all by just calling people like me a sheep and resume more pointless threads about how Al Gore wants to eat all our babies. And that is exactly why you will remain the biggest sheep of them all.

Because these are the real NWO, and they have made an art-form out of exploiting your fear and your anger.

So yeah...just thought I'd say good luck with all that.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
These organisations are free and open - the Lavosiere Group and the Heartland Foundation are just two off the top of my head -

This is common stuff. ! HEre are some more...

Accuracy in Academia
Accuracy in Media
African Center for Advocacy and Human Development
Alternate Solutions Institute
American Policy Center
Americans for Prosperity
Americans for Tax Reform
Atlas Economic Research Foundation
Australian Libertarian Society
Ayn Rand Institute
Business & Media Institute
Carbon Sense Coalition
Cascade Policy Center
Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change
Citizens Alliance for Responsible Energy
Climate Skeptics Party
Climate Strategies Watch
Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow
Competitive Enterprise Institute
Congress of Racial Equality
Cornwall Alliance
Economic Thinking/E. Pluribus Unum Films
European Center for Economic Growth
Freedom Foundation of Minnesota
Free to Choose Network
Frontiers of Freedom
George Marshall Institute
Grassroot Institute
F.A. v. Hayek Institute
The Heritage Foundation
Hispanic Leadership Fund
IceAgeNow.com
Institute For Liberty
International Climate and Environmental Change Assessment Project
Initiative for Public Policy Analysis
Institute for Private Enterprise
Institute for Public Affairs
Instituto De Libre Impresa
Instituto Juan De Mariana
Instituto Liberdade
Instituto Bruno Leoni
International Climate Science Coalition
The Lavoisier Group
Liberales Institut
Liberty Institute
John Locke Foundation
Manhattan Libertarian Party
Mannkal Economic Foundation
Minimal Government Thinkers
New Zealand Centre for Political Research
Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine
Public Interest Institute
Science and Public Policy Institute
Science and Environmental Policy Project
Scientists and Engineers for Secure Energy
60 Plus Association
Sovereignty International
Tennessee Center for Policy Research
Young America's Foundation

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Why stop now ......seeings this is a conspiracy site and this is the only conspiracy that the conspiracy theorists have never latched onto - except to be utterly deceived by it ....

www.desmogblog.com...

www.desmogblog.com...

ETC ETC

Anti-global warming theorists are like proponents of the official line on 9/11, the Lone Gunman Theory, or even believe that we went into Iraq NOT FOR THE OIL......I just don't see how towing the government / corporate agenda is somhow uncovering a conspiracy ??

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
And all of those companies forced those scientist to artifically adjust values to back up their claims of anthropogenic climate change.

And all of those companies have been manipulating the climate with their weather machines to cool the planet, while claiming it is warming. Oh, and lets not forget their weather manipulation machines that control the sun, and the climates on mars, jupiter, europa, saturn, neptune, and uranus.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Why stop now ......seeings this is a conspiracy site and this is the only conspiracy that the conspiracy theorists have never latched onto - except to be utterly deceived by it ....

www.desmogblog.com...

www.desmogblog.com...

ETC ETC

Anti-global warming theorists are like proponents of the official line on 9/11, the Lone Gunman Theory, or even believe that we went into Iraq NOT FOR THE OIL......I just don't see how towing the government / corporate agenda is somhow uncovering a conspiracy ??

Well, we went to Iraq to set up a base of operations in the middle east. Just an FYI.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

These organisations are free and open - the Lavosiere Group and the Heartland Foundation are just two off the top of my head -

The website of the Chicago-based heartland Institute, which received $119,000 from ExxonMobil in 2005

Page 12

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper
Oh, and lets not forget their weather manipulation machines that control the sun, and the climates on mars, jupiter, europa, saturn, neptune, and uranus.

The whole "The Sun is responsible for Global Warming" is one of the junk pieces of science that Exxon propagandists are lobbying. Read the article.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

And all of those companies forced those scientist to artifically adjust values to back up their claims of anthropogenic climate change.

And all of those companies have been manipulating the climate with their weather machines to cool the planet, while claiming it is warming. Oh, and lets not forget their weather manipulation machines that control the sun, and the climates on mars, jupiter, europa, saturn, neptune, and uranus.

Ah - are you speaking in tongue ? What crack are you on.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

The website of the Chicago-based heartland Institute, which received $119,000 from ExxonMobil in 2005

Page 12

When I say free and open - I mean this is really common knowledge - this is no conspiracy and they do not hide it - read "Republican War on Science" - excellent work.

I am in your boat with you - paddling furiously against this tide of moronic asinine feckless idiocy of anti-global warming propaganda.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well whether or not Global Warming exsists (in my opinion it doesn't because how could houston get its earliest snow in...ever) the fact remains that they are trying to take away my sovereignty and freedom to do what I want. And they want the tax the piss out of me. So if, and I stress if wholeheartedly, MMGL is real, they are going about "saving the planet" anyways.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Gotcha

Yeah, sorry if any of this information is redundant - I've only started exploring this conspiracy because up until about two weeks ago I never even bothered caring about the Global Warming deniers.

I thought they were just a goofy fringe element not worth the time - but now that they've begun reinforcing all this ignorance all over the place I figure it's time to start fighting conspiracy fire with conspiracy fire.

Especially this week - it's probably gonna get ugly around here...

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Why did they "lose" their climate data?
Why do we as a nation have to sign a treaty?
Do you really believe oil is "fossil fuel"?
Haven't the above referenced oil companies always adjusted prices to continue their profiteering, regardless of the absurd premise?

There's no doubt that conservation of our environment is the best policy, but why surrender so much to the UN "government"?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Oh, and lets not forget their weather manipulation machines that control the sun, and the climates on mars, jupiter, europa, saturn, neptune, and uranus.

The whole "The Sun is responsible for Global Warming" is one of the junk pieces of science that Exxon propagandists are lobbying. Read the article.

Is the sky being blue also Exxon propaganda?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Both sides of the fence are heavily promoting their own propaganda. its all about the money, and if someone wins, someone else loses. This doesn't really prove anything except that people are corrupt, it doesn't show that MMGW supporters are any less guilty. FYI, i read a report that it is damn near impossible these days to get a scientific grant unless you SUPPORT MMGW. If the scientist accepts the money, his name gets written down on a list of people who support MMGW, and that list is thrown in the faces of everyone as "proof". The reason i don't believe in global warming being man made is largly based on the lie that co2 is a pollutant and the leaked emails from hadley CRU.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

A common charge leveled against global warming skeptics is that they are on the payroll of transnational oil companies, when in fact the opposite is true, oil companies are amongst the biggest promoters of climate change propaganda, emphasized recently by Exxon Mobil’s call for a global carbon tax.

According to Exxon Mobil chief executive Rex Tillerson, the cap and trade nightmare being primed for passage in the Senate doesn’t go far enough – Tillerson wants a direct tax on carbon dioxide emissions, essentially a tax on breathing since we all exhale this life-giving gas.

www.prisonplanet.com...

The article linked above could amost have been written for those who'd like to argue that oil companies support Climategate

It shines the spotlight on Exxon, too

and demolishes the OP's theories

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Where's my check? I haven't ever received a check from Exxon or any oil company for that matter.

I'm about to really blow your mind on this next point. If Exxon can hire places to do studies to find that MMGW is not real, what makes you think that the governments of the world haven't hired places to do studies to prove MMGW to give them a basis to tax us all to death?

Also the CRU was in bed with Shell Oil. What you have here is nothing, but propaganda from MMGW proponents. I hate to say it, but you are the victim of propaganda.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Stars are indeed the primary actor upon all celestial bodies, as singularities are also the primary actor upon Stars. You addressing that concept as 'Exxon propaganda' only illustrates your own ignorance of the natural world.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
So what if the oil industry is financing some skeptics, someone has too, research isn't cheap and we are all very well aware that governments are not funding scientists who disagree with them. In fact, they get fired for disagreeing with them. People are making money on both sides, so this trying to paint the climate change crowd as the saviors of humanity is just as much propaganda than anything Exxon could fund, and this thread proves it. Thanks.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by fumanchu]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
If the Sun keeps taking its "sunspot nap" as it appears it will, everyone is going to be hoping for some global warming.

The Sun drives the climate on Earth...man has zip.. nada... zilch to do with it.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join