It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steelmaker Corus closes, 1700 job losses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
1700 Jobs will be lost in the next 3 weeks as the Corus Steelworks plant in Teeside (NorthEast England) ceases production. Executives will simply moth-ball the site without even redundancy pay for the workers, those out of work will either have to find non-existant vacancies elsewhere or face 2010 with a bleak outlook.

The worrying thing is the Government is quoting as saying this morning "we will do all we can to help."
Yet subsequent articles say that UK Families face bailing out the bank crisis by "owing" the economy £40,000 for each household, ontop of the £850 BILLION we've spent paying those at the top for their fortnightly cruises and Ferrari's in the garage.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

I am very upset to learn of this as I have many friends who work at the BOS & Concast plants, they have been there all their lives and it will be the end of an era. There are few enough jobs in Teesside and I am uncertain how many of them will cope.
I live half way round the world from that place now and just last night I was talking to a stranger in a bar who told me the news. He was also from my home town and gave me an update on many old friends.
small world we live in....

PEACE,
RK

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Its dreadful news.. where is British industry going! it seems our infrastructure and skills are going down the drain..

My thoughts go out to all the families affected by this news.

new topics

join