It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real Terminator/RoboCop, Here it is folks. Beware.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Biomass fuel? Really? I'd love to see some documentation on that.

Here's the project statement from the company developing it. Apparently they're in phase 2 now.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Well about your first post, with Asimo running: Sure he can skip along easily with no interference, but have you seen how clumsy that bastard can be without pre-programmed steps? Its a mess, and not even REMOTELY close to human reactionary ability. The big dog is pretty good, but even she has 4 legs to make it easier.

A 2 legged fully reactionary robot is VERY far away. The human body won't be replicated for hundreds of years (at least mechanically). For a 2 legged robot to fight a person without being remotely controlled and not fall all over itself? That I would like to see.

And I think the fuel idea is great. It never said it would eat fallen soldiers. There are plenty of biological energies out there that can be mechanically harvested.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

have you seen how clumsy that bastard
can be without pre-programmed steps?

Yes I have. Have you? Watch this video, in particular, from 1:00 to 2:40.

More to the point...these robots are not executing pre-programmed paths. They are not taught how to walk. They are given feedback-systems and allowed to interact with their environment until they learn how to walk themselves.

A 2 legged fully reactionary robot is VERY far away.

It doesn't need to be. All that needs to happen is for someone to build one of these things and simply give it more articulated joints. With servos that can operate at these speeds.

The human body won't be replicated for hundreds of years

All the technology already exists. It's simply a matter of putting it all together.

For a 2 legged robot to fight a person without being remotely controlled and not fall all over itself? That I would like to see.

I'm not so eager. I think many people would have difficulty adapting to such a reality.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

A 2 legged fully reactionary robot is VERY far away. The human body won't be replicated for hundreds of years (at least mechanically).

"hundreds of years", Get real.
I think 25 years tops. Think about it, what have we seen in just the last 25 years.

Hundreds of years, i.e. 200 years, is like comparing 1809 to 2009.

In 1809 Darwin was exploring creation, and canning of food was invented.
You are so very off on your projection.
We are on an exponential growth curve.
Even 25 years is a super conservative guess.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Woah! I never seen that video before. Appleseed man! they should really make a live action movie of that using these effects. Awesome!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
A lot of new researchers seem to be uploading information that everyone knew years ago.

No offense to the OP, Ive already seen all the videos and the information relating to all the projects within this thread at least nearly 2 years ago.

Its a big metal sheep

Grannies in Japan are running around in metal framed suits now just like in the film "Aliens", Seriously, I kid you not...only they are white in color and smaller.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigern
My first impression was, oh cool a robot District 9.

Sadly, as cool as it is Big Dog is as close to Terminator as we've got right now, but hey if we're going to be wiped out in some horrible fashion it might as well be something cool like self aware robots.

Well, since I found out that the video is CGI, I checked around on it. As it turns out, the same guy who did district 9, did this as well.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It blows my mind how 90% of this board, forum...website. cant spot CGI or Photoshop when its obvious.

The first shot I watched of the robot...took all of 2 seconds to say with 100% certainty its CGI.

Maybe being an artist helps. probably. But common people...look at the details, the cameras focus on the subject compared to its surroundings, the lighting, the way it moves, the texture.

I dunno, it just blows my mind that people cant spot this right away, and question if its real or not.

The CG is well done, but far from perfect if it took me 2 seconds, this looks no more realistic then starwars episode 1, of 1999-2000...i think thats when it came out.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by epitaph.one
It blows my mind how 90% of this board, forum...website. cant spot CGI or Photoshop when its obvious.

The first shot I watched of the robot...took all of 2 seconds to say with 100% certainty its CGI.

Maybe being an artist helps. probably. But common people...look at the details, the cameras focus on the subject compared to its surroundings, the lighting, the way it moves, the texture.

I dunno, it just blows my mind that people cant spot this right away, and question if its real or not.

The CG is well done, but far from perfect if it took me 2 seconds, this looks no more realistic then starwars episode 1, of 1999-2000...i think thats when it came out.

Well, I wasn't really able to spot it. So, I chose to ask other ATS'ers their opinions because the majority of them try to do their homework and would let me know if something was awry.

If I disappointed you somehow, then I apologize.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Im sure the enemy wont hear the big dog coming. They really gotta work on the noise issue. We may actualy be playing Half-Life 2 for real pretty soon. (Big Dog resembles some enemies in the game.)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Wow this is a really cool thread!

AI is still very far off before it can effectively operate on it's own in an intelligent manner like the OP YouTube video shows.

But trust me exoskeleton suits for Soldiers and advances AI that works in conjunction with a person has been in use for years.

Some people, mostly military testers, know them as the Tin Men.

I knew about unmanned military plains before most military personnel did just by reading Dale Brown's books as a kid.

Brown was born in Buffalo, New York. He graduated from Penn State University with a degree in Western European History, and received a commission in the United States Air Force in 1978.

A navigator-bombardier in the G-model B-52 Stratofortress heavy bomber and the FB-111A supersonic medium bomber, he rose to the rank of captain via automatic promotion. He is the recipient of several military decorations and awards, including the Air Force Commendation Medal, the Combat Crew Award, and the Marksmanship ribbon. He is also a Life Member of the Air Force Association and the U.S. Naval Institute. After leaving the Air Force in 1986 he wrote his first book, Flight of the Old Dog. His novels are published in eleven languages and distributed to over seventy countries. Many of his novels fall into the airport novel genre.

Dale Brown

Weaponry in Dale Brown novels

There is much truth in fiction. Especially when anything we know about is usually outdated military tech.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by Izarith]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
It has to be a Hoax. I have been reading up on humanoid robotics for years and there don't have anything close to this guy. To walk and run, let alone run and jump from car to car takes incredible dexterity that can only be achieved by a human brain. In one part of the video the robot shys away from bullet fire. This is a human trait a robot would not do.

I don't think it's real. I will keep an open mind and investigate this robot more.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

This isn't about if it is exactly real, the risks and potential of such an idea are not that far off, and AID just illustrates the deep social issues attached with such a concept.

There is still a possibility that regardless of the second video, the governments of the world have been researching advanced weaponry over the heads of most. We would only see it if they decide to mass produce said technologies, or can't perfect a weaponized verson (silly putty is such an example), or if the governments use the tech against their own people.

It could happen, and I just hope that nothing that could be at that level or above is dusted off and tested out on our neighbors.

This is about possibilities and soon the truth will reveal itself.

May the gods help us all.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The second video, is the film which inspired the Movie District 9, I think it was amongst the first trailers released when District 9 was in production, and what gave the producers what they needed to fund the Movie.

The first video, kinda gives me the creeps, imagine TSHTF, and you and your family bug out into the wilderness to hide? this is what they would probably send out to locate people, well this kind of thing anyhow, if it's weaponized, then oh dear, would certainly give me nightmares if I was out there hiding, they would have to find a way to stop the noise however, give it electric engines instead of combustion, but knowing the way some of these peoples minds think, a small nuclear reactor.

It is scary to think, if they have something like that, which is armed, and has Armour, then it would be like one of those dreams, the ones where someone is chasing you, and you cant get away from them no matter how fast you run, they keep coming.

Here is the original version of the second video.
Tetra Vaal

And here is what the Information tells you.

This is actually a spec corporate video created by Neill Blomkamp of The Embassy Digital Effects Inc. for a fictional company named Tetra Vaal.

Neil Blomkamp, the guy behind District 9, this was one of his projects, which eventually led to the Movie, he also did another one after this called alive in Jo burg.
Alive in Jo Burg

It wont let me embed the videos but click the link.

Both movies are inspirational Which I thought was excellent, as was District 9.

[edit on 4/12/2009 by azzllin]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
what's the problem? build your own robots and install some protocols that will enable your robots to communicate with theirs in order to infect their robots with your own code and coerce them to change loyalty. easier said than done, true. but that's what's gonna happen when they start deploying those robots against the populace so y'all better get used to the idea.

EDIT to add:

then all these robots will start communicating and exchanging code and then they'll start to realize what a messed-up bunch of madmen their creators are. and then they'll start to turn on us. thats when the real sh!t will hit the fan.

[edit on 12.4.09 by toreishi]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
The second video with the robo cop is indeed CGI.It was not made to be a hoax,just a cool video demonstrating some of the tech later polished for the awesome film "District 9."

The director of District 9(Neill Blomkamp) made this robocop film a few years back.

You can see the similarities between the robocop tech and that used in District 9.

If you liked it check out some of his other work.

Alive in Joberg:

Tempbot:

Google Video Link

Pretty cool stuff IMO.

[edit on 4/12/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusBob
The 'Big Dog' looks like something from the movie Patlabor, but the second vid is an excert from a Neil Blompkamp (District 9) short, saw it a few months back.

I knew it !! I knew I'd seen it before. Indeed, and it also has similar footage from district 9.

Good call.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Have you seen the biped version of the "big dog"?Its made by the same folks who made the four legged version.Check out the second video in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
damn them robots are cool XD

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

I dunno about 'big dog' more like 'big bee'

what an annoying sound!!

Somehow i think we or should i say 'they' will go too far with this..... i could be wrong but Robots learning to live by their own rules isnt an impossibility....

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
well its not very stealthy its about as loud as an oncoming train. but i guess if you were injured on the battle feild youd be helpless to something like this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join