It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duputies use Taser on 'out of control' child

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

Teschner says deputies were justified in their use of force. The deputies say the youth threatened them with a pipe and a stick, and threw a piece of wood at them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Being in the law enforcement realm, I've taken on grown crazed men trying to stick me with a dirty needles, baseball bats..you name it. In many instances I had No weapon, no taser. My training helped me survive pretty violent ordeals by grown men and women.

I'm sickened by these occurrences. How can you feel safe if police can NOT subdue a child?

What the hell is going on? I just CANNOT wrap my head around having to taser a 10 year old.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
wow it's only increasing in the US, every week it's a new story concerning things like this, all the other reason we should have a dedicated forum on these matters it's a sad thing. S&F

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Yeah.
I don't really see the conspiracy here. I see an ill trained police officer that relies on force before all the other training he received. Unless he was scared of the piece of wood that was thrown at him.

Imagine the velocity the kid could achieve. (sarcasm).

I am also a father of 3 boys. 7, 5 and 3. I'm sure they will be a handful eventually. As they are big for their age as I am large 6'3" and so is my wife. 6'. However, I doubt I will ever have to tase them or their friends.

Maybe as teenagers I'll have a harder time. But physicality is usually (for most law enforcement) last resort, AND reactionary. Not instigated. (for the most part). :S

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
id love to see what the cop lovers say about this!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Im not one one to comment on stories like these, but wow!

It seems like the offenders are getting younger and younger, and more and more of these same stories are occuring.

Im sorry, but several (Im assuming a few LEO's, but the article doesnt specify exactly how many), who are trained through the police academy, in there physical prime, cannot subdue a youth (10 years old!!!) without a tazer, they have absolutely no business being cops. Truly pathetic.

Im not saying the kid did or did not deserve it, because I have met a few 10 year olds that I wouldnt mind to have tazed, but really, this is over the top.

Seriously, if this type of force were used all the way up the ladder of crime, they would be using Apache war helicopters to give out speeding ticktets, and nuclear bombs to stop bank robbers!

Maybe the cops should take some lessons from first grade teachers, because at least they know how to deal with children without using a tazer

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I thought the law was that a police officer is allowed to go one step higher than the perp. Like if perp is threatening with fists and feet then police officer is allowed the baton. And if perp has knife, then police officer is allowed to draw his sidearm. And what has happened to batons? Why on earth has this stun gun thing gotten so out of control? I've seen all kinds of videos with stun guns being used at traffic stops against numerous unarmed women!!! What has happened to verbal control? And is it not common knowledge that stun guns can cause instant death? Which would/should/could make the use of stun guns lethal force. To be a police officer, you should have a little more decision making skills than to taze unarmed women and children. Ridiculous!

[edit on 12/3/2009 by sniknej]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think these officers are afraid of liability if they touch another human being, especially a child. The use the tazer as a way of subduing someone without touching them, and therefore limit their own liability.

I have a lot of friends in law enforcement and it is amazing the kind of trouble they get into just for doing their jobs. I have a friend that broke the arm of a convict as he reached for the officer's gun. The perp even testified in court that he would have shot the deputy if he had gotten a hold of the gun, but instead the deputy slammed the door on his arm and broke it. The deputy was reprimanded for excessive force?

I entirely agree that tazering a child is ridiculous, and any LEO should be able to walk up and subdue the child, even if they have to take a board across the knees first, but I don't think this is a lack of training, I think it is a fear of litigation.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sniknej

For sure. 1 "upping" is a useful guideline. Knowing the limits, is common sense.

The difference with the taser is: law enforcement are told "non - lethal". And it allows more distance between the situation and the officer, for better "control" purposes. Instead of being 'back up' it is being used to "initially" control the environment. Sure, sometimes limiting a bad situation from becoming worse.

I think ALL officers should not be allowed to carry a taser for their first 2 years.
Then they'd gain the experience necessary to deal with most situations, using their brains first. Because the only other alternative is deadly force.

More often than not, a situation can be brought down a notch or two, prior to violent escalation. Unless you walk into a situation with a kid that has a pipe, stick and is throwing wood.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
There is only one use for a tazer. When they were going to shoot the person, as a replacement for lethal fire. And whenever an officer uses that, at least in Canada there is usually an inquiry into it.

I wouldn't have stood by and let that happen. Can't imagine what they needed to subdue a 10 year old for anyway.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah, I see your point. Not so much in Canada. But in the states, the possibility of litigation is far more rampant, due to lawyers not charging fees for opening a lawsuit. Especially, the blood suckers down there love to find and manipulate this kind of stuff.

So yeah. Nice point.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The taser is a legalized form of torture, something the United States obviously specializes in. It has nothing to do with subduing criminals and everything to do with keeping the public (even innocent people) in line.

What did police officers do before the taser was invented? Yeah, that's right, they had to use their physical and social skills to subdue unruly individuals. With the advent of the taser, you can now hire any moron to be an officer, equip him with it and turn him loose.

Not only does the taser enable law enforcement to hire more mindless idiots as officers (as if there weren't enough already), it saves the officer time so he can get back to his doughnut break.

Tasering a child who is less than half your size is the equivalent of aggravated child abuse. Only a coward would resort to such measures.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

Tasering a child who is less than half your size is the equivalent of aggravated child abuse. Only a coward would resort to such measures.

Extremely good point! What would they do to a parent if they caught them using a tazer (i.e. cattle prod) to discipline or motivate their children?

What about a coach using one?

Maybe they should give them to referees in basketball and football and hockey?

If it is so harmless, we should all have them.......it could be very useful in line at Wal Mart, or in traffic!!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
"Tonight we have the latest after an incident occurred in which an officer was forced to taser 3 Month Old Infant after it refused to stop crying and put it's hands behind it's back. The officer is currently on leave pending investigation but the police chief justified the officers actions in saying, "It is Department Policy to use the taser as a first line of defense against suspects who will not comply with an officers commands, and in this case the child simply would not reason with the officer. It is regretable but this officer took all the proper steps to subdue the suspect." The police say they plan to charge the infant with resisting arrest and disturbing the peace. in the coming days"

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Miraj]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Wow! title should be Deputies 'out of control' use Taser on child!

One of these days the title will be: Parents beat up Deputies after using Taser on wheel chaired grandmother and 5 yr old daughter!

This Taser stuff will end one day, and it will end in a bad way.... Taser has the potential to kill.....

[edit on 3-12-2009 by imitator]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

Not nearly as bad as Police SHOOTING a 12 year old girl:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since the incident and the death of the thread, the police commissioner dropped all investigations on the cop, due to police demands (threat of strike).

The cop in question actually killed someone a few years ago.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by imitator

This Taser stuff will end one day, and it will end in a bad way.... Taser has the potential to kill.....

[edit on 3-12-2009 by imitator]

It has.

www.cbc.ca...

This happend a couple hundred miles away from me. 4 large A.P. security guard and 5 police officers. And a taser had to come out. B.S.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Last year, I had a co-worker that was missing from work, later was found that the night before, he had gotten high on crack I think it was....not sure. At like eight that morning, he ran into a curb and got out of his vehicle naked...Now this man was like six foot tall and heavily built black man. He was tripping out on whatever form of drug he was on, and would not remain calm. He never threatened the police, he was just spazzing out. They finally hit him with a tazer, and because of his heart speed being so high, they killed him on the spot. I had met this gentleman many time's, and he was a very nice person, had a not so good past but was taking care of his family and doing good at it. Very sad. And like I said, he never threatened anyone, just was wigging out. but if it is in standard use and deemed "safe"..........terrible. Something needs to be done about shocking people. And thanx for posting that video. I saw that several months ago. Tragedy.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Ok, I have it.

Here is how situations with "out of control" kids should be handled by police.

Don't use a tazer on the child when you arrive on scene. Get there, check out the situation, if the child really is "uncontrollable", just let him be for a moment, walk over to the parents and use the Tazer on them, the whole time telling them, "get your children in line", "grow up and be adults and discipline your kids". "If you would, then we wouldn't have to be here using this dangerous tool on your child, donig your job for you."

Nuff Said.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Ok, I have it.

Here is how situations with "out of control" kids should be handled by police.

Don't use a tazer on the child when you arrive on scene. Get there, check out the situation, if the child really is "uncontrollable", just let him be for a moment, walk over to the parents and use the Tazer on them, the whole time telling them, "get your children in line", "grow up and be adults and discipline your kids". "If you would, then we wouldn't have to be here using this dangerous tool on your child, donig your job for you."

Nuff Said.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by elevatedone]

WIN

top topics

<<   2 >>

join